Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 07:11 AM

6,879 posts, read 3,111,788 times

Advertisements

Looking at the trailer there is no Spanish being spoken.

They do the English , but with an accent. I can't imagine half the movie being totally Spanish with no subs. I give Spielberg more credit than that, he knows what he is doing, his movie history speaks for itself.

I could have gone without the "Give English the Power Over Spanish" comment, but I'll wait and see the movie first.
Maybe this comment is really only referring to only 15 minutes total runtime of scenes where they speak Spanish entirely, who knows.

I loved the original movie too, and Natalie Wood was awesome( until Wagner had Christopher Walken kill her irl , hehee) .
But I also like a lot of musicals and will give this a shot.

I lean Right but some of these reactions are a bit much, imho. Just giving the left ammo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 07:51 AM

8,395 posts, read 3,579,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
So is he saying he doesn't want Anglo people to see the movie or that he expects Anglos to go see a movie where they can't understand what people are saying?
Right.

Remakes usually suck anyway. The only one that I ever watched that I liked was Oceans Eleven. Then they had to ruin that by making the sequels.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:07 AM

63,314 posts, read 29,388,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Immigration from Mexico was mostly economics. Those immigrants gave up a lot to work in the US, & most of them wanted to return home, eventually - after making enough money to stake them to a better life back home. Political/ideological refugees - from Castro's Cuba, fleeing the USSR, etc. - didn't usually have that option.
No one has the right to migrate here illegally for economic reasons and they aren't plain ole immigrants they are illegal aliens. What they wanted to do and what they are actually doing are two different things. Most of them have remained here and intend to permanently.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is ok, no problem. I will not watch his movie, because I speak Spanish, and native Spanish speakers in South America and Europe will do the same.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 383 times
It's so sad, there's racism here. It's not healthy!

Old 12-29-2021, 08:13 PM

16,786 posts, read 8,263,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I never thought that Natalie Wood was the right choice to play Maria, but I just saw the trailer for the 2021 version, and I think if someone saw the 1961 version, there is very little reason to see this new version. I won't be spending my money on it, anyway.
The 1961 version is a classic. I see no reason to waste money on the remake.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Spanish, Portuguese, French, UK, etc. The population of Native Peoples in the Americas took a real hit early on, mostly from infectious disease & the dislocations that caused. But the numbers have recovered - although it's not clear if to the same numbers as pre-European numbers. The languages, religions & cultures are still there (& in N. America - Mexico, the US, Canada as well). They have been touched by the Consumer trends & markets driven by the US multinationals (& others), but the people are still there.

Most of the Hispanics in the US didn't want to come here to live, & as far as I know, they want to make enough money to return to their home country & establish themselves better there, rather than here.
Far too many of them are coming here illegally though. No one has a right to come to our country illegally for any reason. A huge number of them never return home either which is causing us a lot of problems for us and altering the demographics and culture of our country.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It was a stage show before it was a movie. The audience were English speaking Americans. The original show was spoken in English. The movie that came next was spoken in English. I am really disappointed in Spielberg.

Added. Most Puerto Ricans who lived in NYC at the time were bilingual.
Spielberg is one of the "woke" Hollywood elite and wanted to force diversity down our throats. He also wanted to appeal to Spanish speakers who are growing by leaps and bounds via illegal immigration and anchor babies. Follow the money.....glad the movie bombed. Hope he and the other Hollywood elites learned a lesson. We are an English speaking country like it or not.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:24 AM

10,638 posts, read 4,144,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It was a stage show before it was a movie. The audience were English speaking Americans. The original show was spoken in English. The movie that came next was spoken in English. I am really disappointed in Spielberg.

Added. Most Puerto Ricans who lived in NYC at the time were bilingual.
And then you have the fact that Hispanics from different regions of the world tend to hate eachother. Central/South American Hispanics tend to not like the Caribbean Hispanics, and this is probably why the movie is bombing. And then you have the little wars between the Cubans and the Puerto Ricans, and well, Spielberg is learning that one size doesn't fit all.

Seriously, if Spielberg wanted to make a really authentic piece of art, he should have just produced it and then asked Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarrantino to take over the actual movie making process. It probably would have been one helluva hit too!

Old 12-30-2021, 06:26 AM

10,638 posts, read 4,144,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
English power over Spanish? I believe the English language over the entire world has been foreign policy since the get go.

Freakin’ globalists. Why don’t we just erase countries, all of them.
They are working on it. They are trying to make John Lennon's "Imagine" into a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies