Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 10:51 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
... The best thing to do is call your Congressman and say vote no on Build Back Better.

BBB has nothing to do with the current inflation, won't make it worse and will actually help ease inflation.

17 Noble laureate economists signed an open letter in support of BBB saying it will lower inflation.

Republicans are using inflation as a scare tactic because they don't like social spending programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 10:52 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I went to the 99 Cent store this morning. Because Trader Joes and Whole foods have gotten too expensive and stopped carrying many items I liked.

Here's what I found. Strawberries went from $1 to $2.49 - a 150% increase, not 6.4%. Most fresh second grade vegetables went from $1 to $1.49, a 50% increase. Portabella mushrooms went from a package of 2 for $1 to ONE for $1.49, a 150% increase, accounting for the shrinkflation. Other vegetables were holding at .99 still. Onions, tomatoes, squash.

The canned shelves were taking a beating, empty spots, one row of cans. Long term items like canned hams, are, gone. Can't find spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

I hear Dollar Tree has done a blanket increase from .99 to $1.24 - a 24% increase, not 6.4%.

I was at a chain market last week, milk went from $2.59 to $2.99. What's that, about a 20% increase? Eggs from .99 to $1.79 for the cheapest dozen, over a 75% increase.

Yes, I know I'm taking select items. But it doesn't change the fact that as usual the government is fudging the numbers and lying to us.

Just like with the unemployment rate, 4.6% is a lie. More like 25%. Maybe it's where I live (lot of retired folk) but it seems hardly anybody is working, except those with cushy govt jobs. Most are doing gig work, or on the dole, or selling dope or catalytic converters...

Let's compare notes. What's happening where you are?

Should the government enact price controls like in the 70's? If not now, when?
It's all those healthy things you eat. Just switch to eating a couple of Big Macs every day. They've gone up a little, but you could live indefinitely on Big Macs and spend less than $8 per day. If you are really into saving money, you can get 2 McDoubles for under $4.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:55 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
BBB has nothing to do with the current inflation, won't make it worse and will actually help ease inflation.

17 Noble laureate economists signed an open letter in support of BBB saying it will lower inflation.

Republicans are using inflation as a scare tactic because they don't like social spending programs.
Scare tactic. You sound like a woman about to divorce her husband hell bent on a spending spree to empty the account yet all the while knowing he'll still be forced to take care of you so long as you don't get remarried.

Someone has to pay for it. Nothing is free.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:04 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Hogwash. Spending over $5 trillion of money we don't have will not lower inflation.

Free this and free that only makes things worse.

The Fed created this inflation by creating $12 trillion out of thin air and pumping the economy by buying stocks on Wall Street.

They eroded the value of the dollar. Now they have to reign in the SPENDING by upping interest rates.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:06 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
It might be more than 6%.

It is NOT 50%.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:08 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
We are being led to believe that things are much more "Cherry' than they truly are. An economic collapse of immense proportions has to be coming. I don't see how it couldn't be. You can't keep spending and printing money like a drunken sailor every year

Old 12-16-2021, 11:10 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Real inflation is much more than what we are being told. The dollar store is even raising its prices 25%. The best thing to do is call your Congressman and say vote no on Build Back Better.
I dont think you know what inflation even is if thats your solution

Old 12-16-2021, 11:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Okay -- someone who regularly shops at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is not likely ever to buy produce from the 99 cent store. There is no way.

And strawberries for a dollar.....what? WHERE? never.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:12 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
It might be more than 6%.

It is NOT 50%.
It's all over the place.

Fresh cod jumped from $6.99/lb to $8.99/lb last week for me.
That was the biggest increase I saw and remembered.
Stew meat was over $7/lb...don't ever remember paying that much for crappy beef (which is what stew meat is)

Everything else...more like 10-15% increase.
Gas actually went down here and is under $3/gal.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:12 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Hogwash. Spending over $5 trillion of money we don't have will not lower inflation.

Free this and free that only makes things worse.

The Fed created this inflation by creating $12 trillion out of thin air and pumping the economy by buying stocks on Wall Street.

They eroded the value of the dollar. Now they have to reign in the SPENDING by upping interest rates.
Yall keep confusing measuring how far a dollar will go with what causes inflation. they are not the same thing.

creating money out of thin air doesnt cause inflation nor does spending it for that matter. Both can make it worse, we can be honest about that, but not with BBB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies