Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 03:45 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Because it’s not a big deal. It just means an American of a certain background. That is not necessarily racial either.

Maybe that's what it means to some people....

But that's not the way it gets used.

It gets used to foment division and assign both victim and oppressor status to people who may not even identify or agree with those labels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 05:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Maybe that's what it means to some people....

But that's not the way it gets used.

It gets used to foment division and assign both victim and oppressor status to people who may not even identify or agree with those labels.
Not my problem though. For many people, it’s simply descriptive. It can help people understand where others are coming from and their practices/habits/traditions make more sense. It makes far more sense than color labels which are meaningless, inaccurate and problematic.

Division and assigning like you just did? Perhaps you should stop assuming other people’s stances. You came with your own labels, assumed my political stances and that my stance on this matter must be political. Yet it is not. In fact, I’m not even sure how this is a remotely political discussion.

The hyphenated-American/victim and oppressor issue is one that exists among Americans who have been here for generations. For the vast majority of us who are recent, it is descriptive.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:35 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not my problem though. For many people, it’s simply descriptive. It can help people understand where others are coming from and their practices/habits/traditions make more sense. It makes far more sense than color labels which are meaningless, inaccurate and problematic.

Division and assigning like you just did? Perhaps you should stop assuming other people’s stances. You came with your own labels, assumed my political stances and that my stance on this matter must be political. Yet it is not. In fact, I’m not even sure how this is a remotely political discussion.

The hyphenated-American/victim and oppressor issue is one that exists among Americans who have been here for generations. For the vast majority of us who are recent, it is descriptive.

My assumption of your political stance was based on your posts.

People on the Right don't generally think much of hyphenating the population.

Only people on the Left take that position.

And using it as a description fails miserably a lot of times as well.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:43 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
My assumption of your political stance was based on your posts.

People on the Right don't generally think much of hyphenating the population.

Only people on the Left take that position.

And using it as a description fails miserably a lot of times as well.
Nope. I have stated that I do not identify with either side and my stances lean libertarian.

The majority of Americans do it when convenient. It’s not a left or right issue.

If the right wasn’t for it, they would have eliminated it while in control. But they won’t because they use it conveniently, just like the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies