Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 10:59 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
while I agree with your conclusion, I am absolutely appalled by how these "social scientists" classify things. smoking is a necessity? thats crap.
That's utterly absurd conjecture by the article's writer and not asserted at all by the study's author.

Unfortunately, I seem to have overestimated some city-data members' knowledge base, so I'll explain the terms...

In economic terms, a luxury good is one where our spending on such item goes up as a portion of our income as our income increases. For example, ultra-speed fiber optic broadband instead of landline dial-up modem internet, organic luxury coffee shop cappuccino instead of a cup of coffee from the drip coffee maker at home, a $200,000 Hermès Birkin handbag instead of a cheap $20 imitation look-a-like from the discount store. Etc.

A necessity good is something needed for basic human existence. Think: basic food, non-designer clothing, basic shelter.

More info on the respective terms analyzed in the study:

Examples of different types of goods

• Luxury good – Superfast broadband, organic luxury coffee, Netflix TV Streaming, Porsche, a foreign holiday to Bali
  • Necessity good – something needed for basic human existence, e.g. food, water, housing, electricity.
  • Normal good – ordinary broadband, ordinary tv license, Ford Focus car, holiday to somewhere close to where you live
  • Inferior good – Supermarket own brand coffee, bus travel, a day out at theme park.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/7...normal-luxury/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 10:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Voluntary doesn't really matter in the case of something like the lottery.

What do lottery proceeds go towards paying for,??

It's a source of revenue for the state.

Just because some people are dumb enough to pay it voluntary is irrelevant.
Park passes are a "source of revenue for the state", too. They, like lottery tickets, are not taxes. Speeding tickets are a "source of revenue for the state", also not a tax. State bonds are a "source of revenue for the state", not a tax.

It's really very simple.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:09 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
Exactly. Plenty of highly educated people are terrible money managers. And then there are those of us who realize saving $10 a week and investing it in a low cost index fund in a tax free savings vehicle will grow to over $60,000 in 30 years and they take that route instead. Who wants to blow $10 a week for 30 years and be reminded you’re a loser 1,560 times. I’d rather enjoy watching my savings grow for my entertainment.
You think $60,000 is enough to retire on?

Old 12-21-2021, 11:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Not irrelevant at all.

We're talking about "poor" people in this thread, who supposedly can ill afford to be spending money on things like lottery tickets.
Did you miss the part where this bogus study considers lottery tickets to be necessities? Again, bogus study in the article.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
You can choose a 5 year old iPhone for $200 or sometimes FREE with the exact same functionality. The $1000 model is going to be the newest model that should be reserved for those that can afford it (i.e. don't need to use money that is marked for other expenses)

I've had 3 consecutive iPhones that drop calls or break up, etc and are for all intents and purposes, useless in both of my houses. Of course 2 were < $100 for the phone; and one was >$300 (Pure Talk? I think) same thing - lousy signal. All three phones were "name brand." I'm back to internet landlines. I talk on a phone maybe 5X a month and there's nobody that wants to see my private parts for a potential fling, etc. So I don't need an iPhone except maybe for an emergency during travel in my car out in the boondocks.

My take? (and just a theory) You have to spill that $1000 if you want a dependable iPhone. It's a "you get what you pay for" thing. A millionaire friend of mine has a Verizon phone he paid $800 for and had Verizon set it up (took them an hour) and it works at my house. There's your proof.

Yet I see a lot of "poor people" and (unemployed HS) teenagers parading around with an iPhone that seems to work everywhere..

Old 12-21-2021, 11:14 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Is someone forcing you to enter a particular occupation and work for a particular employer Frank?
Are you saying slavery would've been fine if we let black people choose which white landowner owned and whipped them?

Old 12-21-2021, 11:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Are you saying slavery would've been fine if we let black people choose which white landowner owned and whipped them?
Yes, if it’s voluntary.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:16 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Did you miss the part where this bogus study considers lottery tickets to be necessities?
It doesn't. That's baseless conjecture by the article's author. I've already given an explanation of the Economics terms used in the study in this post.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:21 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's utterly absurd conjecture by the article's writer and not asserted at all by the study's author.

Unfortunately, I seem to have overestimated some city-data members' knowledge base, so I'll explain the terms...

In economic terms, a luxury good is one where our spending on such item goes up as a portion of our income as our income increases. For example, ultra-speed fiber optic broadband instead of landline dial-up modem internet, organic luxury coffee shop cappuccino instead of a cup of coffee from the drip coffee maker at home, a $200,000 Hermès Birkin handbag instead of a cheap $20 imitation look-a-like from the discount store. Etc.

A necessity good is something needed for basic human existence. Think: basic food, non-designer clothing, basic shelter.

More info on the respective terms analyzed in the study:

Examples of different types of goods

• Luxury good – Superfast broadband, organic luxury coffee, Netflix TV Streaming, Porsche, a foreign holiday to Bali
  • Necessity good – something needed for basic human existence, e.g. food, water, housing, electricity.
  • Normal good – ordinary broadband, ordinary tv license, Ford Focus car, holiday to somewhere close to where you live
  • Inferior good – Supermarket own brand coffee, bus travel, a day out at theme park.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/7...normal-luxury/
i will admit to being dense... i do agree with your premise and get what they are taking about but still I mean the list of necessities shouldn't include cigarettes. LOL. i am about to run out and get a luxury cheap sammich of some sort.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:24 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In this case, I guess you?

I would say about a quarter of people in the US live working more than one job (so no, no one can survive on just one minimum wage job, you have to have two or more) at minimum wage or just above it.

And our country seems to feel entitled to their cheap labor, and their cheerful attitude when we interact with them.
nope, not me. I value all my interactions with people regardless of their earning status, as humans. It's called the Golden Rule.

I would say that "how many people work multiple jobs" is easily Googled, and so you should know the figure is around 8% as of last apparently data, from 2018

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...n-one-job.html

if you're really intrigued, you can go delve into the 2019 data of the SIPP report. https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...data/2020.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies