Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 09:41 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times

Advertisements

FACT: there are over 10,000 active under ocean volcanoes and no one has a clue of how much heat and CO2 they are pumping out. If you buy into this man made global warming you are a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 09:46 AM

2,953 posts, read 994,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What makes you think that scientists are not like other humans who are in it for the money?
There may be a financial incentive component. I hate to think so because I have always held science (and scientists in general) in high regard but when I see so much theater and political bias emanating from that community it makes me wonder why.

My money is actually on this being a case of scientists losing their way and straying from their imperative of sticking to objective fact and are instead stooping to dramatics to sell something that they don't believe laymen are capable of understanding. I think they have settled too quickly on what they now accept as scientific fact. They're scared of the conclusions (incomplete IMO) and they think we have to act fast but they can't figure out how to make the general public see it thru their eyes to get them onboard. So you get showmen like Tyson, Nye and others to sell the subject with glossy shlock presentation and cults of personality. That's the trap. People sense a sell job even if they aren't scientifically versed enough to rebut the details. Snake oil smells like snake oil and now distrust sets in and the polarization is complete. I think the truth is somewhere between the dire warnings of impending Water World and AGW being a commie hoax to destroy America.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:47 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I said it earlier and I'll say it again. Your world ending threat scenario is a hypothesis. The solution proposed by your most vocal AGW'ers is world ending and it's not hypothetical. You can't just turn off the world's majority energy supply. The world will die.
I never said anything about the world ending. All I said was 2021 was a year full of extreme record events that illustrate that man-made climate change is right here, right now, causing billions of dollars in damage and it is killing people. Those are the cold hard facts.

Who says you have to turn off the world's energy supply? Leave it on, just work on decarbonizing it. Here in California our electricity is 37% natural gas, 2% coal. Meaning 61% -- a majority -- of our power comes from carbon-free sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
... we get called climate deniers, murderers, anti-science and backward cavemen clinging to our F-250s.
If the shoe fits?

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Again, that’s an idea. It has not been shown to actually happen. In fact, global temperatures were flat for much of the late 90s and 2000s. If there is a relationship between co2 and warming, it’s not a linear one. But we know that. Mars has a co2 rich atmosphere and is inhospitably cold. Venus has a more balanced atmospheric composition and is inhospitably hot. There are countless factors that create a planet’s climate. I’m not convinced co2 is one of them.
CO2 has been shown to absorb infrared radiation. It’s been known since John Tyndall’s experiments in 1859. It’s not just “an idea.” Do you honestly think that scientists sit around and come up with ideas without rigorously testing them? Your ignorance is astounding.

18,489 posts, read 8,308,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
So Kodiak Alaska went from record cold in November to record heat in December.

This is exactly what climate scientists predicted: more extreme weather -- hot, cold, wet, or dry -- more often.
..and they cancelled each other out

climate scientists predicted that the weather channel would start calling everything extreme...and idiots would fall for it

Old 12-29-2021, 09:52 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,057,631 times
Here's an interesting ground breaking study....

Trees are blooming earlier and earlier. Global warming???

Nope, cities just wasting electricity by leaving their lights on at night!!! What seems obvious at first blush, turns out wrong.

https://www.jpost.com/environment-an...y-study-687107

BTW...there plenty of studies showing the human health effects of night time lights on humans.

In nature, things are more complicated than we think or know.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:56 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Dr. Willie Soon, astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, said the sun is the main driver and supplier of energy, and it is the true external driver of the climate system...
He was exposed by journalists for having contracts with the Koch brothers and Exxon Mobil. Furthermore, he's not an astrophysicist, he's an aerospace engineer by education. And astrophysicists don't study Earth's climate systems. He has little credibility.

2,953 posts, read 994,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Really? Go to a greenhouse sometime and see where it’s warmest. At the ceiling. The higher you go in our atmosphere the colder it gets. Ridiculous lies.
You haven't thought this thru. The air at the top of your greenhouse has risen 12'. Look up adiabatic lapse rate ... It's the rate at which air density decreases with altitude in the troposphere and thereby sheds energy and heat. There is no adiabatic lapse in a single story greenhouse. Now if you came back and said Yeah but air temp increases in the stratosphere and mesosphere then you'd get me interested in a conversation because that's where the interesting subtleties begin. The stuff you're standing on is beyond flimsy.

19,727 posts, read 10,144,743 times
This is like the theory that a meteor killed the dinosaurs by blocking out the sun. Scientists pointed out that they would have died out in a few years with no sunlight. But digs proved they died out over thousands of years. When an idea is proposed, many jump on the bandwagon.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:57 AM

19,727 posts, read 10,144,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
He was exposed by journalists for having contracts with the Koch brothers and Exxon Mobil. Furthermore, he's not an astrophysicist, he's an aerospace engineer by education. And astrophysicists don't study Earth's climate systems. He has little credibility.
You have zero credibility. Don't forget, Bill Nye was accepted as an expert on the pro side, his degree is in mechanical engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies