Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 08:48 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,322,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
As someone on the left or right, have you ever changed your mind politically about a topic? And if so, what was the topic and why did you change your mind?
sure I have. Many things. Tell us what your other username was, and I'll detail them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 08:52 PM

254 posts, read 132,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
sure I have. Many things. Tell us what your other username was, and I'll detail them all.
I'm brand new here. I am still learning how to use all the features. Did I miss something?

Old 01-03-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Sure, I was much more of an ideologue when I was younger.

But when you get older and build a life for yourself and your family, you realize that you don't have to be anywhere near "rich" to be on the "eat the rich" crowd's menu.

That realization has a way of changing your perspective on things.....

Then, one day you hear your father's words coming out of your mouth, and it dawns on you that...... you're a Conservative.
pretty much. It's why we have the saying about "liberal in youth, conservative later."

Old 01-03-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I'm brand new here. I am still learning how to use all the features. Did I miss something?
August is not brand new, but you be you.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:57 PM

27,715 posts, read 28,831,990 times
Quote:
Nobody is inherently a more deserving person for having the luck to be born in America.
I completely disagree. America is like an exclusive club and it should be shut off to people who are not deserving of entering this country.

You are not welcome here if you can't make it into the club according to the rules that have been laid down. That's life.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:59 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,005,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
When I was in high school, I believed that everyone should have free healthcare. Then I learned that the government doesn't have anything to give without first stealing from somebody else.

Welcome to the real world.

When I was a kid, I thought water was free because we could take a jug to the municipal water supply and fill it without paying anyone. Later, I learned of water bills.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:00 PM

32,147 posts, read 15,166,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
As a young man I truly used to believe the people we elected, regardless of party, actually cared about their fellow Americans. As an adult, I've come to the realization that pretty much the opposite of that is true. Again, regardless of party. Aside from a few fighters in the House and Senate who get railroaded or pushed aside by the majority, for the most part we are represented by a bunch of self-serving sycophants who care more about preserving their seat of power than preserving and improving our way of life. Those who come into office with a will to fight are quickly brought to heel or discarded when the next election rolls around. Most of the people we have in Washington are career politicians, and you don't stay in Washington unless you learn to play dirty. We need term limits in the House and Senate.
I completely agree with you. When people first start out in politics, they want to do so much good with many ideas how to better things. But they just get sucked in by the system as they all do. Somehow the power goes to their head and then they only care about themselves and their re election. We have term limits for presidents and governors. We need to have term limits for all of them.

254 posts, read 132,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I completely disagree. America is like an exclusive club and it should be shut off to people who are not deserving of entering this country.

You are not welcome here if you can't make it into the club according to the rules.
Everyone is allowed their own opinion. I appreciate the diversity. Actually, Atlanta has only gotten better with all the immigration from the past two decades. Great people, great food. I look forward to learning more about all the cool people coming to the city. When I was growing up in the 90s it was soooo monotonous and boring. It was literally just White and Black people. It has truly grown into a world class city.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 01-03-2022 at 09:08 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
As a young man I truly used to believe the people we elected, regardless of party, actually cared about their fellow Americans. As an adult, I've come to the realization that pretty much the opposite of that is true. Again, regardless of party. Aside from a few fighters in the House and Senate who get railroaded or pushed aside by the majority, for the most part we are represented by a bunch of self-serving sycophants who care more about preserving their seat of power than preserving and improving our way of life. Those who come into office with a will to fight are quickly brought to heel or discarded when the next election rolls around. Most of the people we have in Washington are career politicians, and you don't stay in Washington unless you learn to play dirty. We need term limits in the House and Senate.
huzzah!!

it will NEVER happen, but how is it the person with the most limited power has less time by law than the folks who gain unlimited time?

Old 01-03-2022, 09:35 PM

20,304 posts, read 21,058,581 times
Quote:
Why did you change your mind? What was the catalyst? Why did you think of Republicans that way? What made you realize Democrats were bad?
I became a free thinker later in life. I was not really political when I was younger, just didn’t care. But I guess I was more liberal/democrat like most younger people?
Most of my family, the older generation, were democrats, but occasionally did cross party lines for a better candidate. But they had that Republicans for the rich and Democrats for the poor mentality.
I think during Obama was when I really started to pay attention and research facts, and not accept being force fed certain things. I have OCD so I got hooked on politics and history. I really dig history, politics not so much.
As a young married dude with kids I just constantly found myself face palming with democratic policy and ideals. I felt the change in America. It wasn’t any single zen moment, but things just felt different. Started feeling like I was getting screwed all the time I guess. It wasn’t overnight, it was definitely an evolution for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies