Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 08:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The filibuster is one thing that forces both parties to the table, actually. Otherwise it's like a parliamentary majority in Britain or Canada; dictatorship between elections but here, without the fun of a monarch or Governor General to at least be a theoretical check.
In theory, that is how it is supposed to work. However, we both know that one party wants to just obstruct when they are not in control of the White House. It was like that with two out of the three last Presidents. I wish I could say that it was about being a check to the president, but it has just obstructed. There really hasn't been room to negotiate and lord knows we have needed to make compromises, but we really aren't seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 08:34 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This has existed long before Biden and you know that. Stop deflecting and answer the damn question. Do you want Republicans working with Democrats, yes or no?
Not with these Democrats, they are insane.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:39 PM

13,467 posts, read 4,301,426 times
Quote:
This has existed long before Biden and you know that. Stop deflecting and answer the damn question. Do you want Republicans working with Democrats, yes or no?

It got way worse under Trump. Maybe you didn't hear me the first time. Let me try it again, not at the expense of surrendering your principles and respect. Did I answer your question?

Again, it's hard to work with Democrats on the filibuster or spending bill when the leader of 1 side calls the other side RACISTS and NO, that has never happened before, so stop asking dumb questions before dealing with the elephant in the room and the leader you voted for. Maybe it's him that you need to lecture not me.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Every thing "President" Biden has been doing has been a complete failure since the beginning of the summer.

It just gets worse and worse. Americans are absolutely suffering, the COVID is many times worse than it has ever been.

Many in nursing homes are getting COVID with overwhelmed Certified Nursing Assistants working with COVID-19 while Joe Biden gets his nursing home care with a team of the best physicians and nurses in the luxurious oval office.

Many small businesses that were growing due to Trump's low-inflation will be closing for good because "President" Biden hyper-inflation agenda.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...trayed-us-all/
Lovecrowds, I have to ask did you complain about Trump getting the best physicians and nurses when he was sick with COVID, enough so he had well under 85% on his oxygen levels and got monoclonial antibody treatment while it was barely in trials for those of us getting the initial second-wave in fall 2020? I ask this because I think it is wrong to attack Biden for that if you give Trump a free-pass.

I agree Biden has not been perfect on COVID. I stated that the mask mandate roll-back in April was likely going to be a problem because people who already were against masks were not wearing them in stores regardless of vaccination status. Look at where we are now. Two variants and surges since and we are just about where we were this time last year before Biden took office. Now I don't fully blame Biden. COVID faitgue would hit us whomever was President. I also don't see Trump being more active than Biden on mitigation, why because we saw Trump back away as soon as he had the "inject it with that" gaffe about using bleach to cure COVID. I don't even think a different person as president could have really avoided us.

A lot of what we face is because the virus was politicized as was the vaccine. Remember, Trump kept pushing that maybe we would have it before the 2020 election (which brought about the whole "Democrats are antivax" talking point when it was about fears of Trump rushing it out for political gain while results from testing wasn't officially checked and double-checked.) I feel the politics of COVID-19 has done a whole lot to get us where we are right now and quite frankly, it is sad. We shouldn't be divided about this.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I agree Biden has not been perfect on COVID.
Perfection from the government? Wrong word. More like competence which Biden doesn't know the definition.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:55 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Perfection from the government? Wrong word. More like competence which Biden doesn't know the definition.
I don't think I even expected competence out of Biden. More like....do absolutely nothing. Don't screw it up. And to no surprise at all, he screwed it up.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I grade on a curve, if you read the rest of my post rather than just jump on that one point, you'd understand why I am. I honestly think no president would have done much better than Biden. Don't even ask me how I think Trump would have done if he got a second term...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I don't think I even expected competence out of Biden. More like....do absolutely nothing. Don't screw it up. And to no surprise at all, he screwed it up.
And it is no different than Trump in regards to COVID. All he was able to do was use the DPA to keep meat packing plants open after the meat packing lobbying group said shortages were coming due to closures at the plants due to widespread COVID cases and the vaccine, which many of his own supporters boo him for taking a victory lap at his own rallies.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:58 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Pretty much. I used to like her but she chooses to engage in willfully ignorant nonsense too often for me. It’s advantageous for her to do this now. It helps her stay relevant. That’s all it is.
Yeah, me, too.
During her first terms in the House, she was a rising star in the Democratic Party who showed a lot of promise.

But she sure flamed out fast and when down hard.

I thought she wanted to just go home for good and call politics quits. I was quite surprised she's even surfaced again.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I honestly think no president would have done much better than Biden.

You take comedy too far. Why would I make sense with the rest of your long post after that stupid sentence. I feel like Geico. I saved a lot of time and grieve by stopping reading again after that sentence.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:03 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Glad to know Tulsi is well. We never hear from her any more since she disappeared. Unfortunately, she wasn’t relevant even when she was in office, and she hasn’t improved a bit. She’s still a Republican at heart.
If you’re going by policy positions Gabbard is even more liberal than the president. She supports a national healthcare system (Biden does not). She supports the Green New Deal as well (Biden does not). I mean she showed up to protest the building of the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline for crying out loud!

If she’s a Republican she’s like none I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies