Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 10:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You're only saying these things because you are no longer living in "one of those countries." Way to kick the ladder away.

What exactly have you personally done to better yourself, your family, and your community?

(I'm intentionally avoiding your juvenile and unfounded, strictly subjective statements that you keep repeating as if they are facts of the matter.)
They are facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Then you need to go back there, because you didn't learn anything while living in the more advanced society.
I suggest you get off your high horse and take a trip over there. People in poor countries don’t have the luxury of schools, welfare, air conditions, or cars. Many of them barely have water.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:34 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They are facts.
Either show some evidence supporting your outlandish claims, or stick them where the sun don't shine.

Again, what have you personally achieved since joining us from your self-proclaimed crap-hole country? How did you contribute even one redeeming act?

Even better - tell us, how did you actually get here from your impoverished nation? Did your American husband find you in a catalog?

Old 01-21-2022, 10:42 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
I suggest you get off your high horse and take a trip over there. People in poor countries don’t have the luxury of schools, welfare, air conditions, or cars. Many of them barely have water.

Then it's on THEM, and not on US, taking advantage of their children in this situation.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:43 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Sending a school to child is school labor and should not be banned !
You can't indoctrinate a school to be a "good" obedient school if it is busy contributing to the welfare of its alma mater.
Better to send a factory to child so that something useful is produced.
Or even better, send a farm to child, so that a greater understanding of the circle of life, and its exploitation.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:05 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
We have had charity ever since there were humans, but it has never solved poverty or any real issues. Capitalism on the other hand has lifted billions of people out of abject poverty in the past few decades.

The best way to save the world is to let capitalism work, which includes child labor and sweatshops. We should all stop imposing our own morality onto others.
World Vision has made enormous strides, in water wells, gifting goats (yes, that makes a huge difference to have goat milk available), and schooling children.

It often the case, that people who don't want to do anything to help, sneer at those who do.

The difference here, is that there are a lot of humans who believe it's our responsibility to not have cheap luxury goods and items we don't need, on the backs of small children. There's a generosity of spirit, that most of us have, that tells us "I know those aren't my children, but they deserve better than this".

Old 01-22-2022, 07:43 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,711,603 times
Quote:
A slightly controversial topic, what's wrong with child labor and "sweatshops"? Please don't tell me it's the law. Just because you passed a rule, it doesn't make it wrong.

I am not talking about the situation in the USA. I am talking about people living in those poor developing countries where their choices are between work and die/prostitution.

People in posh America throw around the words like child labor and sweatshops as morally superior because they don't support child labor and sweatshops. Duh, who the hell is for child labor and sweatshops if they have other alternatives?

If anybody here thinks the parents (if they have parents) of those children would send them to work over the choice of sending them to schools, you are out of touch with the real world.
I am for all orphans that "age out" of the system being automatically enrolled in the military if they can't support themselves.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
World Vision has made enormous strides, in water wells, gifting goats (yes, that makes a huge difference to have goat milk available), and schooling children.

It often the case, that people who don't want to do anything to help, sneer at those who do.

The difference here, is that there are a lot of humans who believe it's our responsibility to not have cheap luxury goods and items we don't need, on the backs of small children. There's a generosity of spirit, that most of us have, that tells us "I know those aren't my children, but they deserve better than this".
That’s all fine and dandy and certainly feel good except for the said children must now sell themselves into prostitution, eat off garbage dump or die. The idea that those children have better alternatives is not only condescending, but also completely out of the touch with the real world.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Then it's on THEM, and not on US, taking advantage of their children in this situation.
Define taking advantage.

Do you really think those children have a better option???

Old 01-22-2022, 09:58 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Define taking advantage.

Do you really think those children have a better option???
Do you always answer your own questions?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies