Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 10:28 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,096,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Isn't the best way out of poverty, to break the cycle through education in childhood rather than been forced to work in sweat shops.

Sadly thank to Biden, young girls in Afghanistan won't know be receiving any education.
Remind me one more time who was it that negotiated with the Taliban and set the time frame for the American withdrawal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 10:30 AM

7,379 posts, read 3,539,248 times
questions only a liberal would ask. what’s wrong with child labor? well that is the retort for boycotting places like Chick Fil A because of their donations, but buying sweat shop clothing made by children is okay. a truly warped world view.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
questions only a liberal would ask. what’s wrong with child labor? well that is the retort for boycotting places like Chick Fil A because of their donations, but buying sweat shop clothing made by children is okay. a truly warped world view.
I am far from being a liberal.

The really warped reality is boycotting sweatshops, all the children working in the shop can go sell themselves into prostitution or die. Lovely move!

Marie Antoinette's famous line, "Let them eat cake!"

Old 01-21-2022, 10:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Remind me one more time who was it that negotiated with the Taliban and set the time frame for the American withdrawal.
Remind me who withdrew without consulting with allies or the Afghans, and who had no real plan other than to leave a massive mess.

What occurred was similar chaos to the last days of Saigon, and to try and lay the blame on someone else is pathetic.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:33 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A slightly controversial topic, what's wrong with child labor and "sweatshops"? Please don't tell me it's the law. Just because you passed a rule, it doesn't make it wrong.

I am not talking about the situation in the USA. I am talking about people living in those poor developing countries where their choices are between work and die/prostitution.

People in posh America throw around the words like child labor and sweatshops as morally superior because they don't support child labor and sweatshops. Duh, who the hell is for child labor and sweatshops if they have other alternatives?

If anybody here thinks the parents (if they have parents) of those children would send them to work over the choice of sending them to schools, you are out of touch with the real world.
“Child labor” and “sweatshops” get thrown around a lot these days and don’t always refer to one thing.

In general, during the Industrial Revolution, most working class families had to have multiple family members work very long hours in often hazardous occupations just to put food on the table. They lacked bargaining power for better working hours, pay or conditions. There were also no unions and no minimum wage. There were not many regulations on worker safety. What was common practice in a factory back then, if done today, would get them so many OSHA violations they would have to shut down.

Kids were often not able to access a basic education because they, too, had to work so their families could eat.

Things have changed a lot in the developed world since then, but many legal restrictions remain in place even though not all of them are still needed. Industrial-revolution-style sweatshops were, in a sense, closer to slavery than to the modern labor of today. I do think today’s laws are too harsh - what is the harm if a 13 year old wants to do data entry or clerical work a few hours in the summer or on a weekend? In trying to stop the horrific abuses and exploitations in the past, the laws, I submit, have now gone too far in the other direction, which is to say, overprotective.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:34 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Quote:
Have you ever managed 100 children?

Have you ever managed 100 adults??

Seriously? No sane business person would hire children over adults to save cost. It doesn't work.
89 children at one time are my record, well 105 if I count first-day summer practice high school football. I used to coach middle school, and High school football until my work schedule became too much. They listen better than adults I played football with in college most of the time honestly.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:40 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
I am far from being a liberal.

The really warped reality is boycotting sweatshops, all the children working in the shop can go sell themselves into prostitution or die. Lovely move!

If the only choices are slave labor, prostitution, or death, which would you choose for yourself if you were a child? Which fate would you choose for your own children?

No need to answer - these are rhetorical questions. Enjoy your Nikes.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:42 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,348,945 times
Quote:
People in posh America throw around the words like child labor and sweatshops as morally superior because they don't support child labor and sweatshops. Duh, who the hell is for child labor and sweatshops if they have other alternatives?
Every vote for a Democrat is a vote for globalism, which supports sweatshops and child labor. As usual, Democrats are on the wrong side of human decency.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:42 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Child labour is damaging to a child’s physical, social, mental, psychological and spiritual development because it is work performed at too early an age. Child labour deprives children of their childhood and their dignity. They are deprived of an education and may be separated from their families.
Quote:
Not only their moral standards, but also their living conditions.

"Why don't you go to school?" is the new equivalent of Marie Antoinette's famous line, "Let them eat cake!"
The irony of the whole thing is that American kids are flunking because they are barely in school, especially in poor neighborhoods but the Chinese government now tracks kids' social media use and gaming hours so they don't spend too much time on there and get a decent education.

Last edited by Grlzrl; 01-21-2022 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-21-2022, 10:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If the only choices are slave labor, prostitution, or death, which would you choose for yourself if you were a child? Which fate would you choose for your own children?

No need to answer - these are rhetorical questions. Enjoy your Nikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies