Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 11:55 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
How come our child labor laws don't apply to child actors? Some of the younger children can be exploited. I think Shirley Temple was.
They go "school", and a portion of their earnings go into trust that cannot be touched by parents/guardians. See: Coogan Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 11:55 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If a child is performing the work an adult is capable of, he should be paid the same.
Hours could be modified and certainly, machinery needs to accommodate the average height.
I worked with my dad pouring concrete on the weekends till I was out of high school, I didn't make anything at it but I wasn't looking for anything either.
IMO I think that kids should go to grammar school and get the basics and then work to pay for high school and other schooling. children do not appreciate school because they have nothing invested nor do they have any concept how to apply the things they are forced to learn. Trade schools should be expanded for this enterprize.
Working provides the opportunity to find out what the real world is all about and the challenges they are willing to accept.
I have had a number of different jobs in my 60+ years, all of them teaching me new skills and experiences and I am thankful for them all.
People with problems can be dealt with like any other employee, if you don't take your work seriously, your fired. no one is floating your education or youre future but you.
My play was/is productive. my toys, are tools.
Even if the project failed, a great deal had been learned in the process. and we do it again till it works.
That a big IF but not the reality.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Isn't the best way out of poverty, to break the cycle through education in childhood rather than been forced to work in sweat shops.

Sadly thank to Biden, young girls in Afghanistan won't know be receiving any education.
80% of Afghanistan’s population live in mountainous rural areas under the control of a local war lord.
They trend illiterate, herd goats and engage in poppy cultivation. Heroin was and remains the cash crop and supplies Europe and parts of Asia.

Most girls in Afghanistan have never attended school. Did not matter who invaded and occupied the country, Russia or the US. In some remote regions, upon puberty girls are not allowed outside their crude homes until sold/ traded into matrimony.

Girls fortunate enough to be born into a minority of connected families, mostly in Kabul, in the 80’s during Russian occupation or at points during the US occupation may have had more opportunities.

Reminds me of how some media promoted pictures of female university students in Tehran, Iran, pre revolution in an attempt to show how life was like when the US puppet was in charge. What these images never showed was how the majority of girls/ women lived in Iran.

BTW, most of the politically connected, educated wealth class exited Iran at the first signs of the revolution.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:08 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
If people really believe everything listed above is exclusive to Liberals and Leftists then, YES we are doomed.

Apparently, Republicans don't like iPhones, don't shop at Rooms-to-Go or Ashley furniture, don't shop at Wal-Mart or Target? No Amazon account?

There are two Americas: The one we live in within our minds, and the one we actually live in. Come join us in reality, please.
Of course it is not exclusive. The point is that it was mostly people identifying as liberal, left, democrat that were the biggest anti-corporate, anti-worker exploitation activists leading the charge to expose sweatshops and corrupt corporations. Now there is silence or defense of these businesses. They turned into those mean old republican capitalists.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Did people in the 19th century not all work from very young? That's not a fact?

Is that not a fact that the poor children in developing countries don't have a choice to go to school?
Global population is 8 billion +/-

Billions would kill for the opportunity to work in a sweat shop along side their children. Sure beats the alternatives.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:12 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well Mr. Scrooge, it is but once per year, sir.
I don't think it's quite Mr. Scrooge. It's more like Mr. Vulture. With that attitude, I'm sure they would have no qualms about taking the valuables from the victim of a traffic accident. The victim certainly can't help the circumstances of their existence and so why not just help themselves? It's not like the dead guy will need his shoes, phone, watch or wallet any longer.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:12 PM

7,375 posts, read 3,536,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Billions would kill for the opportunity to work in a sweat shop along side their children. Sure beats the alternatives.
I never thought I would actually see the day where people are advocating the merits of child labor. People who are supposedly "progressive". Shows you who they really are.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I don't think it's quite Mr. Scrooge. It's more like Mr. Vulture. With that attitude, I'm sure they would have no qualms about taking the valuables from the victim of a traffic accident. The victim certainly can't help the circumstances of their existence and so why not just help themselves? It's not like the dead guy will need his shoes, phone, watch or wallet any longer.
Still waiting for you to tell me what the children can eat when they go to the imaginary school.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Yup! The pompous lords in America have no clue how other people really live.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Remind me one more time who was it that negotiated with the Taliban and set the time frame for the American withdrawal.
That would be the Trump Admin.

The same folk who intended to host the Taliban at a secret meeting at Camp David. When the Taliban blew up some people, the previously secret meeting was canceled while Trump disclosed the previously secret intent to bring the Taliban to US. That however did not end negotiations.

Trump Admin executed agreement with the Taliban in Feb, 2020. In doing so, Trump Admin agreed to use its influence to release 50,000 Taliban prisoners and withdraw all troops by 5/1;0/2021.

The US used irs influence to get 50,000 Taliban prisoners released in 2020.

In January, 2020 the withdrawal of troops had left only 1250.

Both Trump and Biden were equally committed to full withdrawal. It was going to be ugly regardless of who won in 2020. Through April, 2021, from the sidelines, Trump continued to advocate for the 5/1 deadline. He/ his admin understood Taliban was in control, 5/2.

How exactly anyine thought 1250 US troops were going to pull this off, is a mystery.

With bipartisan advice from Congress, Biden extended the date of withdrawal, knowing full well, come 5/2/ 2021, the Taliban took control.

Continues to strike me as bizarre, that despite the US resolve to remove all US troops, some people continued to travel to Afghanistan, including a school group of children. Despite the expectation that visitors would register their arrival and plans with the US embassy, many visitors did not do so.

Lastly, an unknown number of defense contractors chose to remain in country and make their way home at some future date.

As nuts as it was, this withdrawal pales in comparison to the last days in Vietnam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies