Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 12:08 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Yet another solution looking for a problem.

Not everyone SHOULD be going to college and not every degree actually has value.
That's why I included "trade school" and referred to it as "post-secondary education" to include colleges and trade schools.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 12:11 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
That's why I included "trade school" and referred to it as "post-secondary education" to include colleges and trade schools.

Thanks for the input.
Not everyone should undertake post-secondary education to begin with.

You don't learn to be a good real estate agent by learning real estate in school. You learn that by going out and selling real estate.

Get Government money out of higher education, and have alternatives to higher education, and you have millions of consumers saying "I'm not paying that".

Old 01-30-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, your car, your checking account, your bank account, your retirement account, the furnishings in your home, and the very clothes on your back are also assets.

Nothing is stopping you from setting up a 5 year $80K trust fund to pay for post secondary education for unknown, unrelated individuals.
All of my "assets" are worth about $120,000. And I would gladly give up 80% of my assets for five years if it would mean that everyone in the USA could receive the education of their choice for free.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Not everyone should undertake post-secondary education to begin with.

You don't learn to be a good real estate agent by learning real estate in school. You learn that by going out and selling real estate.

Get Government money out of higher education, and have alternatives to higher education, and you have millions of consumers saying "I'm not paying that".
Interesting example. You have to take courses to legally sell real estate, and be licensed.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:15 PM

25,576 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Dunno about all this, but I did hear a comment that if Elon Musk and Bill Gates wanted to REALLY help they could start a free accredited online college.
And that's true; they could. Actually a small tuition would be in order, but it could easily be done. But it would only be marginally successful because it would deprive youngsters of "the college experience". So few youngsters would go. The people who would sign up would be the 25 year old group who has matured and has come to see the value of a college degree.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:15 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Interesting example. You have to take courses to legally sell real estate, and be licensed.
None of those courses teach you how to actually sell real estate.

And no, that education should not, under any circumstances, be free. Make something free and the value of that thing adjusts to reflect the price tag.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
It is your belief that this was an apples-to-oranges comparison, that reveals your astounding ignorance of the nature of money, the actual purpose and use of investment (by the person who earned the money), and the actual result of your scheme.
People who are worth over 18 billion don't have to work to earn money. The money is earning the money.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Dunno about all this, but I did hear a comment that if Elon Musk and Bill Gates wanted to REALLY help they could start a free accredited online college.
And that's true; they could. Actually a small tuition would be in order, but it could easily be done. But it would only be marginally successful because it would deprive youngsters of "the college experience". So few youngsters would go. The people who would sign up would be the 25 year old group who has matured and has come to see the value of a college degree.
. . . which would be a good thing.

Interesting idea. I like it!

Old 01-30-2022, 12:22 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
The equivalent of two years post high school education cost should be essentially as free as k-12. I don't think that necessarily applies to room and board. Community colleges and trade schools should be free. Some are now.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
None of those courses teach you how to actually sell real estate.

And no, that education should not, under any circumstances, be free. Make something free and the value of that thing adjusts to reflect the price tag.
The thought experiment as stated in the OP is only addressing the needs of those who want a post-secondary education without having to take out a loan. Your realtor example is not relevant to the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies