Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 07:21 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyd View Post
They want to be on an Olympic team, and the US team was too competitive. Easier to get on another team
The competition however is not on the field of play, it is about the sponsorships and how much her image can drive advertising. And on that level she is guessing that she can sell more stuff as Chinese than as an American who can point to most of her ancestors being from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 07:33 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Are the ChiComs paying big bucks, threatening relatives in China or both?

It's probably about the money.

Endorsement potential in China is huge.

Yes, China has a mostly free market economy, and advertising is a huge business.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:01 AM

1,874 posts, read 650,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
Non sequitur? I'll rephrase. She has been nothing but a model citizen in America. Considering all the other characters we have here, there are better and more qualified candidates to exile and have leave the country.

The part about renouncing her US citizenship is speculation and she would not answer the question directly when asked by reporters.

We in America are taking her decision to ski for a certain country the wrong way. We've made it political. She just wants to ski and make an impact, using her sport, in a land where she can be most influential. This is not meant to be a political move or statement on her part. -It's just skiing (and maybe a career move). She said she loves America and appreciates it.
Ref the highlighted -- because carrying the flag and calling that act as 'representing the country' is a political statement.

China is treating the Olympics as a grand political statement, nothing more. China sees the Olympics as a political statement greater than the US does. Why else did they plied Gu with money and privileges most Chinese people will never have? And if you think covert money was not involved, you are more naive than you think.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I grew up in China and I guarantee you Eurasians are considered "beautiful" in China and are praised a lot.
Personally I consider it a problem but that's the way.
In recent years, many actresses from Xinjiang are popular in China for the same reason (central Asians look like white-Asian mixed).
I know what you are talking about especially with the popular skin whitening beauty treatment. But that is the point: beauty. Or standards of beauty. Not about ethnicity or genes or race. I have mixed race family members and they are physically more attractive than I am. Growing up in Hawai'i, I have plenty of friends and know plenty of people who are mixed races. But all of them know they will never be regarded as Chinese, JPNese, or Korean, or whatever Asian country where their parents came from because of that 'one drop of blood' from that other race.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:20 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
If they train on American soil, then they should be representing the USA. No other country. And this is why I am against dual citizenship.
I guess all those MLB, NBA and NHL players from Canada who hold dual US-Canada citizenship ought to ditch their other citizenship too.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:31 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Here is an article if you are interested in knowing why Some Olympians Compete Against Their Home Country

https://www.theatlantic.com/news/arc...ountry/494648/

Interesting read

This said, many athletes (I'd say majority) definitely compete for their own countries. I have more respect towards them, but this is just my personal preference and opinion. I have nothing against those who don't.

If they joined other country's military, then it is another story.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:41 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The competition however is not on the field of play, it is about the sponsorships and how much her image can drive advertising. And on that level she is guessing that she can sell more stuff as Chinese than as an American who can point to most of her ancestors being from China.

Yes, it's called capitalism! She made a personal decision to capitalize on her unique identity and ability to maximize her personal brand. It's the American way, why are people so critical of her choice.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
Yes, it's called capitalism! She made a personal decision to capitalize on her unique identity and ability to maximize her personal brand. It's the American way, why are people so critical of her choice.
Capitalism? Fine. Have you ever been critical of anyone on their choice capitalism? Never?

Old 02-09-2022, 08:56 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
As China Celebrates Eileen Gu, Weibo Suspends Accounts Over Another Athlete

https://www.newsweek.com/china-celeb...thlete-1677190

Interesting view on Chicomm propaganda

Old 02-10-2022, 06:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
China gives financial support to its athletes, housing, training, way beyond anything they can get in the US. The US does provide opportunities for great wealth in endorsements to those who are successful. Eileen Gu will become a two-nation star, benefitting from all that China has given her and all that US advertisers will offer.
All that and Gu's mom happens to be a venture capitalist specializing in US/ China investments. I wonder what kind of sweetheart deals will fall into her favor for brokering the transaction of a potential (now confirmed) medal winner to a country with whom she does big $$$ business on a regular basis?

Seems this might be more about meddling than medaling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies