Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 10:35 PM

464 posts, read 314,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Eileen Gu will find a hard lesson on how Chinese view those of mixed parentage at the street level. But what will happen is that the Chinese government will shield Gu from those street level views and use her for propaganda purposes.
At the street level? From what I've read, she has already secured upwards of $30 million in sponsorship BEFORE even arriving on the scene at the Olympics. She models for LV, has movie roles, is in all the major magazines, etc.

Last edited by foulball; 02-08-2022 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 10:57 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
Oh sure, kick her out of America. The person who studied hard enough to get into a prestigious US university (she's legit and has the stats), trained hard enough to become an Olympic gold medalist, is striving to bridge cultures who misunderstand one another. Yeah, kick out this role model.

In the meantime, we have widespread looting; shooting; smash and grab robberies; and Americans who can't stay away from drugs and cocaine, precipitating corruption and terrorism in countries south of our border. These are the model citizens we'd rather keep.
Didn't she renounce her US citizenship?
The rest of your post is a big fat non sequitur.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:10 PM

1,877 posts, read 650,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
At the street level? From what I've read, she has already secured upwards of $30 million in sponsorship BEFORE even arriving on the scene at the Olympics. She models for LV, has movie roles, is in all the major magazines, etc.
By 'street level', I mean regular Chinese people. If Gu go anonymous among the ordinary Chinese, she will quickly learn the hard truth about how Chinese view mixed race people. If you are all white or black or Asian, you will be relatively fine. But if you are Chinese mixed with anything else, you will be regarded like how white racist use that 'one drop' criteria, that one drop of African blood make you black. Gu will be viewed as not Chinese. The only people who will see her as Chinese will be government lackies.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
By 'street level', I mean regular Chinese people. If Gu go anonymous among the ordinary Chinese, she will quickly learn the hard truth about how Chinese view mixed race people. If you are all white or black or Asian, you will be relatively fine. But if you are Chinese mixed with anything else, you will be regarded like how white racist use that 'one drop' criteria, that one drop of African blood make you black. Gu will be viewed as not Chinese. The only people who will see her as Chinese will be government lackies.
I grew up in China and I guarantee you Eurasians are considered "beautiful" in China and are praised a lot.
Personally I consider it a problem but that's the way.
In recent years, many actresses from Xinjiang are popular in China for the same reason (central Asians look like white-Asian mixed).

Old 02-09-2022, 01:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
Gu's mother has a master's degree in chemistry from a top Chinese university (Peking U), and obtained an MBA from Stanford. Her parents are government officials of China.
Apparently she was not some desperate, starving immigrant considering the US saved her life. Even if she stayed in China, she could easily make millions. She could afford expensive training for her daughter, and her house in SF has $200k property tax per year.

Naturally, people of her class don't buy any propaganda and know what is the best choice.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:58 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
My feelings are America is on the decline. The culture is toxic all over, and has been heading that way since the mid 90s. Our Govt is inept on purpose, which means someone some group is trying to ruin us probably for their own gain. Sports is becoming politicized with all the Trans competing and ruining the experience for everyone else, and its being allowed by the powers that be.

Our freedoms are being eroded like with anti 2A, anti-BDS legislation, etc etc

Who can blame these athletes for seeing the writing on the wall?

Good for them. If I could pack up and leave, Id too.
For China? lol Good luck

Old 02-09-2022, 03:38 AM

464 posts, read 314,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Didn't she renounce her US citizenship?
The rest of your post is a big fat non sequitur.
Non sequitur? I'll rephrase. She has been nothing but a model citizen in America. Considering all the other characters we have here, there are better and more qualified candidates to exile and have leave the country.

The part about renouncing her US citizenship is speculation and she would not answer the question directly when asked by reporters.

We in America are taking her decision to ski for a certain country the wrong way. We've made it political. She just wants to ski and make an impact, using her sport, in a land where she can be most influential. This is not meant to be a political move or statement on her part. -It's just skiing (and maybe a career move). She said she loves America and appreciates it.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:45 AM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Are the ChiComs paying big bucks, threatening relatives in China or both?

We are not talking about losers going to play for another country. These are top level athletes. Hu even gave up her US citizenship (I don't know about the others)

My feelings are both, money and threats.
I'm wondering if these athletes are actually spies for China. Especially after we learned Dianne Feinstein had a Chinese spy as her personal driver for 20 years, nothing is off the table.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:46 AM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Is the idea that people with dual citizenship could prefer a country other than the US that far-fetched?
If they train on American soil, then they should be representing the USA. No other country. And this is why I am against dual citizenship.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:54 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I grew up in China and I guarantee you Eurasians are considered "beautiful" in China and are praised a lot. Personally I consider it a problem but that's the way. In recent years, many actresses from Xinjiang are popular in China for the same reason (central Asians look like white-Asian mixed).
I think they are considered beautiful, but I wouldn't say they are necessarily welcomed. White people are also considered beautiful, and white people get special treatment in Asia. Many Asian women line up to date white men. But that doesn't mean they are necessarily welcomed in the wider community. They are more a curiosity.

Regardless, Gu is doing it because she is getting paid. It isn't rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies