Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 08:00 AM

22,387 posts, read 29,512,450 times

Advertisements

I really hope not. Flying first class back from Miami none of us had our masks on when we were eating. Normally you have to eat a bite and put mask back up. We all put it back on after eating but it was nice to not have to do that.

At some point, this has to stop. People will get sick and die. It's an unfortunate part of a pandemic. People who want to continue to wear masks should
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 08:15 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,804,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I really hope not. Flying first class back from Miami none of us had our masks on when we were eating. Normally you have to eat a bite and put mask back up. We all put it back on after eating but it was nice to not have to do that.
"Put your mask up between bites" is the most ridiculous, unenforceable piece of Safety/Security Theater(TM) that I've ever heard in my years of flying. This is what happens when you put dweebs in lab coats in charge of the real world. The dweebs need to go back to whatever lab they crawled out of and leave real life to the adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
At some point, this has to stop. People will get sick and die. It's an unfortunate part of a pandemic. People who want to continue to wear masks should
People getting sick and dying is an inevitable part of life, not just a pandemic.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
"Put your mask up between bites" is the most ridiculous, unenforceable piece of Safety/Security Theater(TM) that I've ever heard in my years of flying. This is what happens when you put dweebs in lab coats in charge of the real world. The dweebs need to go back to whatever lab they crawled out of and leave real life to the adults.

People getting sick and dying is an inevitable part of life, not just a pandemic.
I agree with your last statement to an extent. Unfortunately, our friend lost his mother and two uncles to Covid in less than 8 weeks apart. None were vaccinated. Would it have helped them not die? I honestly do not know but I know his mother expressed regret before going on a ventilator about it. It certainly couldn't have hurt their chances.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:52 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,622,760 times
Biden should simply say something like this:

Quote:

America is a diverse nation with different people that hold different values. We have made it through a horrible global crisis. Though the virus continues to circulate, vaccines have done an extraordinary job at averting the most severe illness.

To preserve our freedoms, we must recognize that, though the risk will never be zero, emergency government powers must end at some point. The power to decide how much risk to take must be returned to the American people.

Today I will announce that starting [date], it will no longer be required to [mask, test, etc.]. But I still recommend it. Just as cooking meat fully is recommended but not required, so too we will continue to recommend [x, y, z].

[vaccines, tests, etc.] will continue to be available at no cost to anyone who wants them...

Thank you.
See? No need to politically pressure the CDC. Just make their recommendations voluntary.

Old 02-10-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Biden should simply say something like this:

See? No need to politically pressure the CDC. Just make their recommendations voluntary.
I agree. It should now be up to the individual if you want to wear it. And neither one should be shamed for their choice

Old 02-10-2022, 05:07 PM

2,873 posts, read 1,155,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
He'll extend it, because that's what his constituency wants. These, of course, being the people who wear their masks even when driving in a car by themselves, and yell at someone for not wearing a mask in a public park, and demand that their kids and your kids wear masks in school, even to the point of suing the governor when he orders the school districts to let parents make those decisions, as is happening now in Virginia. Realistically, I think the first opportunity to repeal this mandate is when the Republicans take control of Congress, and pass a law forbidding the mandate. This will set up an interesting test of whether congressional law making can override executive orders, but in any case, I think that's when it will finally end.
Agreed. Several states, however, are ending their mask mandates, the latest being Nevada. In the interests of keeping the Dems in power, Biden & Co. may extend it. On the other hand, they may sense a change in the weather, so to speak, and loosen the chokehold that these stupid mandates have on the country, in a valiant effort to redeem themselves and be re-elected in November. Time will tell.

I, for one, will not vote for anyone with a "D" behind their name. I've had enough.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:12 PM

25,934 posts, read 18,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
The Federal Mask mandate for Public Transportation expires on March 18th. Will Biden extend it?
Translation:

A prime example of federally mandated stupidity ends on March 18th. Will the stupidity be extended?

Old 02-10-2022, 06:23 PM

6,403 posts, read 2,728,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Translation:

A prime example of federally mandated stupidity ends on March 18th. Will the stupidity be extended?
Yep, and with the statement from the CDC yesterday that States should not be ending their mandates I think we have our answer...the stupidity will continue.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:27 PM

19,239 posts, read 16,757,196 times
If Biden is paying any attention to his poll numbers, he won't extend it. I think they're getting a little nervous now. People have had enough

Old 02-10-2022, 06:35 PM

1,517 posts, read 543,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The Airlines are happy to have a mask mandate.
They need to protect their staff.
We have no problem wearing a mask in the airport and on a plane.

During this entire pandemic, we have traveled, stayed in lodges (hotels, VRBO) and gone site seeing. We have worn a mask in crowded tight areas. Before and after vaccination.
No sickness.
Wearing a mask does not take away our freedom.

The airlines proclaim the cabin in one of the safest environments due to the cabin filtration system, they've been asking to have the mask requirement lifted.

I predict the federal travel restrictions will be lifted in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies