Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 12:03 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,381,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Wow. It's sad, but not too surprising when one thinks about it. Sometimes not even prison can break addiction. One of the reasons I am skeptical of the drug war.

It's interesting what getting married and having children will do. Having a family means directing attention to the family. Far less drinking. There are times when we have to leave some people behind.

Just being around the drugs can expose you to seedy characters and questionable situations. It will also bring trouble to you.
Yeah, I am too but have no solutions to the nations drug problem. But how do you get through to people that have a propensity to use drugs that it will never under any circumstances lead to anything good? I can't even explain why I started drinking in high school? I just thank God that I didn't continue before it really got out of hand as it did with some of my old friends. It's the same with smoking. That's one thing that I'm glad I never started. Out of curiosity I maybe smoked a half dozen cigarettes in my entire life? They stink to high heaven and taste like s**t and you end up smelling like an ash tray. I figured what the hell do I want to do that for?

Getting married and buying a home played a big part for me getting my act together. But I started soon out of high school when I got my first car. I became more interested in working on my car a used '65 Mustang with a 289. I started doing my own work. Instead of paying someone I'd just buy the tools for any given task. From there it was performance upgrades. I started hanging out with a new circle of friends and we'd all help each other out working on our cars.

However I was no stranger to mechanics my family and I both had a boat on the Hudson River. They had a 16 ft. runabout and I had a 12 ft. ski boat with a 50 h.p. Mercury engine. My father and I would work on the outboard engines starting when I was 14. The boats and engines were fixer uppers and we would work on them together. My father used to say: "I've got two hands, there's no reason why I can't do it". That rubbed off on the little bastard, me. That really paid off for my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 12:05 PM

73,157 posts, read 62,859,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's for sure!

A classmate of ours unfortunately did succeed in killing herself. She was only 16 years old. She died of carbon monoxide poisoning from her mother's car in their closed garage. What was really puzzling is that she was a popular very pretty girl. She was nice, friendly to everyone and fun to be around. It shook up our whole town. She was the last person that anyone thought would do such a thing? God only knows what inner demons she was battling? Yet no one blamed the car?

During the Happyland Fire in 1990, 87 people were killed with what was a dollar's worth of gasoline at the time a container and a match. That's 28 more than what Paddock killed using a bunch of AR 15's equipped with bump stocks, thousands of rounds of ammo, firing from a hotel window into a crowd of 22,000. Yet no one called that gasoline violence?

I left out 9/11 and the Oklahoma City bombing as they were more sophisticated operations but carried out with commonly available items that did not include firearms.
That's the exact same way a classmate of mine attempted suicide. Car in a closed garage. No amount of gun control would have stopped that.

Molotov cocktails have been used in riots all the time. People have been killed all the time by that. Dzhokar Tsarnev used a pressure cooker to make a bomb, and he unleashed it at the Boston Marathon in 2013.

And while we're on the subject of Philadelphia, there's something I should share with you.

This happened in Bensalem, just outside of Philadelphia.
https://www.fox29.com/news/it-is-hor...er-in-bensalem

A man drove to Bensalem and murdered a former co-worker. Weapons of choice: A car and a knife. That murderer must have had alot of hatred to pick such a brutal method of killing. No one is blaming the car or the knife.

Philadelphia isn't just getting shootings. Philadelphia is getting stabbings too.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:07 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,217,384 times
Quote:
God only knows what inner demons she was battling?
Very true. I preach this often to high school students about jealousy and competitiveness.

Quote:
Yet no one blamed the car?
Carbon monoxide is only a throwaway and a by-product of a car's intended and far more frequent use. Pistols are only for shooting people. Not for hunting or anything else.

More cars have meant a lot of things. More pistols have meant more opportunity for tragic errors, more thefts of pistols from homes and more opportunities for individuals to attack other people with pistols.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Obama told us the safest places have the strictest gun laws!!!!!!

Was obama lying?????

Any real journalists up to challenging Obama's statement????? Apparently not.

Lies about gun ownership and safety by the left wing zealots stalls any real discussion of violence and their willingness to sacrifice innocent lives while trying to achieve the theoretical goal of, no guns, no gun violence.

Obama's lies have caused the death of thousands.

Toss in Biden who told us to go buy a shotgun fire it in the air to scare away perps and of course the enlightened diane degette, infamous CO legislator who had no idea what an ammo mag was and how it work as she headed a committe and gun control.

Ask why the democrats are so willing to sacrifice innocent lies with nonsensical gun restriction proposals
It's not about solving the violence. The violence is a means to an end that's why the Left wing zealots encourage it through our broken criminal justice system that continues to allow repeat violent offenders the freedom to roam the streets. When ever there's a shooting they'll focus on and blame guns. It's all about absolute power and control over the masses. They can never achieve that as long as the population remains armed.

Quote:
"There are only a few laws in history that are universally applicable. One of these is that the ruling classes do not want the peasantry armed. They will do what they can to convince you that to be armed is dangerous. They will attempt to do this while they themselves are surrounded by armed body guards. Idiots will not notice this hypocrisy and sycophants will ignore it. Fools will surrender their arms in the name of "safety". They will insensibly surrender their liberty at the same time. This is how slaves are made"
Quote:
"The debate over gun control can be summed up thusly: Those of us who don't like guns in the hands of our non-costumed brethren, will vote to ensure men with guns, under the guise of the "law," will come and take the property that is rightfully yours, killing you should you resist our will sufficiently".--Ron Danielowski

Old 04-19-2022, 12:24 PM

38,283 posts, read 22,312,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Wyomings population density is 1 person every 2.3 square kilometers. So I cant IMAGINE why they might be different......
It's all about the culture of the local population, not it's population density.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:31 PM

78,751 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
More cars have meant a lot of things. More pistols have meant more opportunity for tragic errors, more thefts of pistols from homes and more opportunities for individuals to attack other people with pistols.
So since the problem is "gun availability" that must be why the Chicago metro area has a homicide rate 5x higher than the rest of the state. THe rest of the state must not have as much availability.

We had a complaint last year about republicans being "science deniers" and I agreed on some things and noted that Dems also do it. Blaming gun availability would be yet another example.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:43 PM

29,717 posts, read 14,801,681 times
I just don't understand the mind of a criminal, and their lack of fear of being incarcerated. I just happened to run across a clip from a Rogan podcast where an MMA coach (Jacob Behney) was talking about his experience going to prison (couldn't find out what he did) and I was horrified. This guy can fight and barely lived to serve his time.

I think I'd rather be just taken out than have to serve time, and have to fight every day to live.

Some how, we need to get kids to be afraid to go to prison, and then maybe we can see a reduction in the violence that plagues many of our cities.

https://youtu.be/bEWdAYvANcc

Old 04-19-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That's the exact same way a classmate of mine attempted suicide. Car in a closed garage. No amount of gun control would have stopped that.

Molotov cocktails have been used in riots all the time. People have been killed all the time by that. Dzhokar Tsarnev used a pressure cooker to make a bomb, and he unleashed it at the Boston Marathon in 2013.

And while we're on the subject of Philadelphia, there's something I should share with you.

This happened in Bensalem, just outside of Philadelphia.
https://www.fox29.com/news/it-is-hor...er-in-bensalem

A man drove to Bensalem and murdered a former co-worker. Weapons of choice: A car and a knife. That murderer must have had alot of hatred to pick such a brutal method of killing. No one is blaming the car or the knife.

Philadelphia isn't just getting shootings. Philadelphia is getting stabbings too.
Unfortunately some people are just plain evil. No amount of rehabilitation will change that. Some people are just born that way. It makes no difference if they're rich, poor, black, or white. Some people just get their kicks being cruel and heartless. I remember some kids in elementary school that loved to bully people around and they came from good families.

A few weeks ago there was a story on Yahoo News where a 3 year old girl was beaten and tortured to death by her supposed father. The poor kid had cigarette burns throughout her entire body along with a fractured skull and dozens of broken bones. It was one of thee most sad and sickening stories I've ever read. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could do something like that? They ought to slowly hang that low life ****** ******. I'm sure he'll get what's coming to him in prison once the inmates find out.

Speaking of Philadelphia I don't know what it is about that area? Right across the Delaware River is Camden, NJ a lot of it resembles Dresden after World War Two. Just blocks and blocks of burned out row houses and piles of rubble. Then you'll see one still standing among them that people still live in trying to make it look halfway decent. It's pretty sad.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:14 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,217,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So since the problem is "gun availability" that must be why the Chicago metro area has a homicide rate 5x higher than the rest of the state. THe rest of the state must not have as much availability.
Maybe availability is one of the problems. Also, since no guns are manufactured or retailed legally in the city, there may be a problems with illegal out of state purchases aiding availability.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I just don't understand the mind of a criminal, and their lack of fear of being incarcerated. I just happened to run across a clip from a Rogan podcast where an MMA coach (Jacob Behney) was talking about his experience going to prison (couldn't find out what he did) and I was horrified. This guy can fight and barely lived to serve his time.

I think I'd rather be just taken out than have to serve time, and have to fight every day to live.

Some how, we need to get kids to be afraid to go to prison, and then maybe we can see a reduction in the violence that plagues many of our cities.

https://youtu.be/bEWdAYvANcc
I don't either, but I suppose a lot of them think that they can keep getting away with committing crimes? Then there are those that once released return to their old neighborhoods and are looked up to and admired by the community.

I guess for some kids that have nothing to live for they really don't care if they live or die? A lot of them are used to getting beaten up and beating up others during their childhood and adolescence. Prison life would be no different. There's a lot of them out there that's for sure. Certainly enough to keep our criminal justice system busy and prisons full for a long time. It's certainly good for the bottom line of the trial lawyers. Many of whom became politicians. Maybe I'm on to something regarding that?

Our open borders are not helping matters. Nobody knows for sure who the hell these people are or what their backgrounds are either? Yet they keep on pouring in. And why not? With promises of cradle to grave entitlements once they cross the border it's an open invitation. In some state's such as California the illegal invaders are allowed to vote in local elections. Keeping in mind that today's city council member, mayor or school board member may become tomorrow's state assemblyman, congressman, senator or even president. That's all part of the plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies