Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 02:42 AM

608 posts, read 239,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
My nuclear bunker is almost ready, just need another 72 hours and I am ready to go.
I wish I could treat this like a joke... but I can't... I have this dreadful sense that American cities will get nuked because Putin wants to make one last big show before life shows him the door... and I am in a big city...

Old 03-01-2022, 03:12 AM

3,839 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I don't believe the president was evil in asking civilians to take up arms at all. In fact, he just authorized prisoners with military experience to be released to fight. This is called desperation. He needs more people and he knows it. That's also why he keeps begging the west for help and to make Ukraine a no-fly zone. He knows he could lose.

Hopefully those lining up to take up arms actually have an interest in shooting sports and feel comfortable handing a rifle. Those that don't, I don't know how they'll have time to get comfortable with it.

The guy in the video is right that the American media is making the Russians look like bumbling fools who are unprepared for this war. I bought into it too. How could the #2 military in the world have such poor logistics and strategy? So I asked my friend for his thoughts. My friend didn't believe it for a second. If Russia wanted to destroy Kyiv or the entire country, they would've done it by now with bombs dropped on the city. Same as what this guy said.
Thanks for the video OP, I will check it out later.

I agree the Amercian media is really making Russia look like they don't know what their doing, repeating things over and over how it's taking longer than expected, their unprepared, don't have enough ammo or food, old tanks....It just doesn't seem to line up with everything we've been told about the Russian military. I think it's propaganda, same as some of the stories-videos that have been proven false already.

5 days into this conflict and Russian military forces are 17 miles from the capitol city. I don't know if that is the plan or what to go slow and steady or they have been held back by Ukrainian forces and progress is not what they expected.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:24 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Global economist on PBS News Hour just said Russian banks could go bankrupt in 3 weeks. That would lead to breakdowns in basic infrastructure and likely the collapse of Russia.
I wonder if it will take that long.

Just read where a global investment firm was dumping all its Russian holdings. Looks like they are not the only ones getting out while the gettings good.

The Nasdaq and New York Stock Exchange halted trading in Russian stocks on Monday.

Trading on Moscow Exchange's stock and derivatives sections was closed Monday and Tuesday. No word yet on Wednesday.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:08 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Putin is on the cusp of winning this war. He doesn't need my help. The Ukrainian authorities - leaders of a country most people here know next to nothing about and are harping about like shrill teenage girls because the MSM is conditioning them to - are handing out rifles.

Seems to me it's the Ukrainians and not Putin who need help.
So much arrogance, but you fail to grasp that Putin has already lost this war.
He will win the battle in the Ukraine.
And then? His economy destroyed, same as if nukes hit it, and they are, right as I type.
The Russian people will suffer. Perhaps it will motivate them to cast off your dear leader. Perhaps you should reconsider posting dead armchair warrior drivel diatribes, and reconsider that when you lose the hearts and minds of the world, you have indeed lost the war.
You're on the wrong side of history. I pity you.

Quote:
Global economist on PBS News Hour just said Russian banks could go bankrupt in 3 weeks. That would lead to breakdowns in basic infrastructure and likely the collapse of Russia.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
I wish I could treat this like a joke... but I can't... I have this dreadful sense that American cities will get nuked because Putin wants to make one last big show before life shows him the door... and I am in a big city...
Hopefully it takes more than one madman's finger to push those buttons, and with the collapse of the Russian economy, which is imminent, he will be assisinated by his own.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:23 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post

You're not sharing knowledge. You're just sharing long-winded rants reflecting a terrible grasp of history, facts, context, and nuance, and you like others reduce everything to a child's view of the world: "good vs. evil," "good guys vs. bad guys."

If you care so much about stopping evil, get off your butt, go to Ukraine, pick up a rifle, and fight. Otherwise, you're just virtue-signaling, and you do so without having a clue as to that which is transpiring and why it's transpiring.
Sometimes the truth is plain & simple. And--- unlike Putin's long winded declaration of war where he rewrote history, ranted about ancient grievances and peddled paranoid propaganda---the global crisis, in which we the world now find ourselves, is one such time of uncomplicated clarity. A villain has mounted an absolute war of aggression against his neighbor, with the intent of wiping that independent neighbor nation out of existence.

Putin's Russia has turned its back on agreements that kept the peace across the European continent for decades. At the end of WWII---where, across the globe, 100 million people were killed, including 40 million Russians--- doctrines & principles were established. Governing principles of international peace and security, that all countries have a stake in defending, and which Vlad the invader has now chosen to violate:

* One country does not have the right to change the borders of another by force.
* One country is not permitted to dictate, to another, the policies and choices it makes, including with whom to join/associate.
*One country cannot make efforts and take actions to dominate and crush its neighbor nations.

For more than 75 years the world has tried to avoid the scenario in which Vladimir Putin has today placed us. It is indeed a defining moral issue of our time. Russia, a great superpower, acting aggressively and brutally combative toward Ukraine, a smaller neighboring independent nation, has decided to erase its neighbor's sovereignty and the freedoms and democracy of its people.

Genuine knowledge of history and the painful truths of the high cost of freedom---that nations have previously paid---is why we are seeing the incredible global response and resistance to the atrocities being committed by an oppressive, thuggish, known war criminal and megalomaniac named Vladimir Putin. You know, why we are seeing the "good guy nations" and their leaders rise up in resistance to the "bad guy".

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-01-2022 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: grammar correction & bolding

Old 03-01-2022, 04:30 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
People don't fall for the propaganda. Russia is not going to collapse lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
Literally none of this will happen. We are not going into a world war. This will be over and most will be on to the next controversy. These people dont want to kill themselves by getting the world into a nuclear war. It's easier making money this way with little spats and buying back stocks/crypto cheaper because folks panic sold.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Sometimes the truth is plain & simple.

You know, why we are seeing the "good guy nations" and their leaders rise up against the "bad one".
Yes, it really is that simple.
The Russian apologist vomits a bunch of dead curmudgeon armchair Russian theorists skewed take on history and tries (and fails) to justify an unjustifiable war on a sovereign nation and its people.
Nobody is falling for this drivel. It's just hyperbole. They attack the character of other posters and suggest they go fight in the Ukraine, all the while sitting on their own rear end anonymously posting on the internet. It's a thin veil, and frankly, pathetic. It reminds me so much of the empty diatribes my Russian boyfriend in college would spew when trying to look impressive, which I know he learned from his Russian professors. He would vomit a bunch of duplicitous words and side step any point in any argument in which he had no validity.
Reading those posts I feel the time-warp, like I've returned to 1992. The philosophy is old and out dated. It bears no validity to the present day. I suspect the poster is a wannabe historian with a Russian bachelor degree from the 80's, or simply one who romanticizes the Russians.

Last edited by NoMansLands; 03-01-2022 at 05:21 AM..

Old 03-01-2022, 05:49 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Ukrainian civilians storm Russian car and kick windshield in.....Puty disturbed the hornets nets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv4rzokFrEE

Old 03-01-2022, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Ukrainian civilians storm Russian car and kick windshield in.....Puty disturbed the hornets nets
Too bad none of them had a molotov, the vehicle got away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies