Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 12:36 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,526,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
I am having hard time believing that they being told the truth. In that video i believe it was a guy that refused to believe there was even a war going on. .
Exactly. News in Russia is propaganda, borne out by this - father living in Russia doesn't believe his own son when son tells of what he has seen and experienced:
Quote:
Ukrainians Find That Relatives in Russia Don’t Believe It’s a War

Ukrainians are encountering a confounding and almost surreal backlash from family members in Russia, who refuse to believe that Russian soldiers could bomb innocent people, or even that a war is taking place at all.

Those narratives are emerging amid a wave of disinformation emanating from the Russian state as the Kremlin moves to clamp down on independent news reporting while shaping the messages most Russians are receiving.

Russian television channels do not show the bombardment of Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital, and its suburbs, or the devastating attacks on Kharkiv, Mariupol, Chernihiv and other Ukrainian cities.

All this, Mr. Katsurin said, explains why his father told him: “There are Russian soldiers there helping people. They give them warm clothes and food.”

When Ms. Kremyr wrote back about the situation on the ground, her sister’s answer via direct message was simple: “No one is bombing Kyiv,

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/06/w...-families.html
That is why the 'majority' of Russians support this invasion. They know nothing of the unnecessary deaths, destruction, and displacement - nor do they know of the millions evacuating to Poland.

I understand Putin's concern about the threat of NATO on his border. BUT.....bombing the h* out of the country, destroying infrastructure, displacing millions and killing hundreds of civilians is NOT the answer.

I also believe - eventually - Putin's aggression will not stop with Eastern Ukraine. His grievances go back to WWII - he is taking a very long view backward and forward - the loss of population, the loss of territory - he feels as a leader he must protect and restore Mother Russia. He has a lot in common with China in that respect.

I can also believe the Russian soldiers - many of them - must be sick at heart about the reality of this - bombing and killing their own people - and absolutely believe in certain areas they have mutinied or don't perform at all - a very dangerous course for them and their families.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:46 AM

13,499 posts, read 4,320,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Exactly. News in Russia is propaganda, borne out by this - father living in Russia doesn't believe his own son when son tells of what he has seen and experienced:That is why the 'majority' of Russians support this invasion. They know nothing of the unnecessary deaths, destruction, and displacement - nor do they know of the millions evacuating to Poland.

I understand Putin's concern about the threat of NATO on his border. BUT.....bombing the h* out of the country, destroying infrastructure, displacing millions and killing hundreds of civilians is NOT the answer.

I also believe - eventually - Putin's aggression will not stop with Eastern Ukraine. His grievances go back to WWII - he is taking a very long view backward and forward - the loss of population, the loss of territory - he feels as a leader he must protect and restore Mother Russia. He has a lot in common with China in that respect.

I can also believe the Russian soldiers - many of them - must be sick at heart about the reality of this - bombing and killing their own people - and absolutely believe in certain areas they have mutinied or don't perform at all - a very dangerous course for them and their families.
Russia is nowhere near as the U.S. foreign policy and killings. You know how many wars and military interventions the U.S. has since WW 2? Count them if you can.

Russia doesn't have their military in over 80 countries around the world. Russia doesn't support 77% of the world's dictators. Russia didn't bombed 7 countries to overthrow their government. Russia doesn't have a 30 country alliance that is hostile to the U.S. and moving closer and closer to the U.S. border.

We go from WW 2, Korea, Vietnam, Cold War, Middle East wars and now Russia. Don't you feel our government is playing us? We are the last country to lecture anybody on saving lives.

We are supporting Saudi Arabia commit genocide for years in Yemen with our weapons. Crickets from the media. The list is long in wars today that is ignored by our media.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No I haven't.

There are too many Ukrainian-made fakes circulating around.
This undermines your credibility. Tantamount to saying b/c the NYT is biased, NOTHING reported by ANY reporter in that paper is factual. Same for WaPo. Same for ANY media station.

One has to sift through the information available to us, USE DISCERNMENT, and search for truth - or at least a partial truth.

As an example - I can't stand FOX news - which for the most part misrepresents, misleads, skews the narrative, constantly inserting subliminal messaging - but I do listen to certain of their guests and find some of them credible. Occasionally, I even agree with Tucker. Not often, but sometimes. Same for CNN and MSNBC - and NBC.

When I watch on the ground LIVE coverage, I choose to believe what I am seeing LIVE is NOT FAKE.

Widen your horizons. Some of your points are valid, but the statement quoted above does you a disservice and weakens your veracity.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-08-2022 at 01:11 AM..

Old 03-08-2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Russia is nowhere near as the U.S. foreign policy and killings. You know how many wars and military intervention the U.S. has since WW 2? Count them if you can.

Russia doesn't have their military in over 80 countries around the world. Russia doesn't support 77% of the world's dictators. Russia didn't bombed 7 countries to overthrow their government. Russia doesn't have a 30 country alliance that is hostile to the U.S. and moving closer and closer to the U.S. border.

We go from WW 2, Korea, Vietnam, Cold War, Middle East wars and now Russia. Don't you feel our government is playing us? We are the last country to lecture anybody on saving lives.

We are supporting Saudi Arabia commit genocide for years in Yemen with our weapons. Crickets from the media. The list is long in wars today that is ignored by our media.
All of which may be true - and relates not an iota to the propaganda being fed the Russian people which is what my post addressed. My post said nothing about saving lives. Did you even read what I wrote? Here it is again - the Russians are uninformed on Ukraine is TRUE. What aboutism is true for every country. Here, we are talking about Russia and Ukraine.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:59 AM

26,828 posts, read 22,606,464 times
Quote:
This undermines your credibility. Tantamount to saying b/c the NYT is biased, NOTHING reported by ANY reporter is factual. Same for WaPo. Same for ANY media station.

One has to sift through the information available to use, USE DISCERNMENT, and search for truth - or at least a partial truth.
As an example - I can't stand FOX news - which for the most part misrepresents, misleads, skews the narrative, constantly inserting subliminal messaging - but I do listen to certain of their guests and find some of them credible. Occasionally, I even agree with Tucker. Not often, but sometimes. Same for CNN and MSNBC - and NBC.

When I watch live on the ground LIVE coverage, I choose to believe what I am seeing LIVE is NOT FAKE.

Widen your horizons. Some of your points are valid, but the statement quoted does you a disservice.

What does?

The Ukraine-made fakes or what?

The reason I don't watch Western mainstream media ( not even sure what they are showing there in terms of videos,) is because it's nothing but propaganda lately - no different from the Russian one.

They show only part of the story, when I am aware of the WHOLE picture.

I've been watching Ukraine closely for the last eight years, so good enough for me.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:29 AM

Quote:
All of which may be true - and relates not an iota to the propaganda being fed the Russian people which is what my post addressed. My post said nothing about saving lives. Did you even read what I wrote? Here it is again - the Russians are uninformed on Ukraine is TRUE. What aboutism is true for every country. Here, we are talking about Russia and Ukraine.
and the U.S. are not feeding us propaganda? You think the U.S. is informed? I don't know because I'm not in Russia. What I can tell you is my country because I live here.

If your source that Russians are misinformed is the U.S. then I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You are accusing millions of people on the other side being misinformed by the people here giving you the misinformation. Your opinion is tainted by the West isn't the truth. It's your opinion from sources giving you misinformation. Funny, huh?

Old 03-08-2022, 01:37 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,523,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
and the U.S. are not feeding us propaganda? You think the U.S. is informed? I don't know because I'm not in Russia. What I can tell you is my country because I live here.

If your source that Russians are misinformed is the U.S. then I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You are accusing millions of people on the other side being misinformed by the people here giving you the misinformation. Your opinion is tainted by the West isn't the truth. It's your opinion from sources giving you misinformation. Funny, huh?
Well the government controls their media there so yes they are misinformed and kept in the dark. Freedom tends to help people stay informed.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well the government controls their media there so yes they are misinformed and kept in the dark. Freedom tends to help people stay informed.

LMAO! You take comedy too far. Who controls our media? Our media gets their talking points from the government. They all sound the same since I can remember since Desert Storm. Remember all the lies pushed by our media in 1990 all the way now?

Old 03-08-2022, 03:28 AM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Regardless of whether you watch FOX and RT 24/7, get your "news" from sketchy web sites, or turn to Rachel Maddow every night at nine, there is no denying that the Zelensky and the Ukrainians are winning the story war.

Putin's story ~ Russians are freeing the Ukrainians from Nazis oppressing ethnic Russians who want to belong to Russia.

Zelensky's story ~ Courageous Ukrainians are fighting off a Russian invasion.

Day 12 of their "denazification" invasion, and Russia has launched over 600 missiles against military and civilian targets.

Zelensky still working from his office in Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/st...53180313640961

Old 03-08-2022, 03:39 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,716,088 times
Default Putin's Propaganda and Words of War

Totally stunning to see the proliferation of pro-Putin/pro Russian sentiment on this thread. It is astonishing that genuine humans living under self-determination in any nation would argue there are 2 sides to this war of aggression that is by manufactured cause. In other words, Putin's war on Ukraine is by a bogus pretext and being carried out by lies. And NATO, Europe and her many allies, including the USA, are trying to aid Ukraine and stop Putin's war from spreading across the globe. FULL STOP.

It seems quite a few people have been vulnerable to the Russian military and intelligence campaigns that spread disinformation and propaganda attempting to paint Ukraine and Ukrainian government officials as the aggressor in the Russia-Ukraine relationship. These entities were engaged in this leading up to Putin's invasion, and certainly have amped up their mendacious measures intended to influence Western countries and their people into believing Ukraine's behavior caused this global conflict. (and obviously to convince Russian citizens of the wholly false need for Russian military action in Ukraine) Tragic is their evil achievement

Looks as if they have been quite successful on this thread, as well, as people have wandered into the weeds and they have lost sight of what has just happened before the world's very eyes:

*In an address to Russian citizens from the Kremlin on February 24th, Russia's leader claimed the government in Kyiv had been seized by “extreme nationalists and neo-Nazis” and that he had sent in the Russian military to save innocent civilians from “genocide” and force the “denazification” of Ukraine. Among other lies, Putin crafted that grotesque fantasy over decades. To his people he has cast himself as the great leader of a besieged nation, defending Russian citizens against foreign threats and in this case Ukrainian phantom fascism. Disgusting.

*In Putin's long winded declaration of war, where he rewrote history, ranted about ancient grievances and peddled paranoid propaganda it became clear to the world that the global crisis, in which we now find ourselves, is the doing of a power hungry evil madman who controls Russia. We are in a fight with evil, clear and simple. A Russian villain has mounted an absolutely unprovoked and fully atrocious war of aggression against his neighbor Ukraine, with the intent of wiping that independent neighbor nation out of existence. Despicable.

*Putin's Russia does not have the right to change the borders of the sovereign nation Ukraine by force; Putin's Russia does not have the right to dictate the policies and choices the democratically elected government of Ukraine makes---and that includes with whom or what alliances to join; Putin's Russia does not have the right to invade, combatively crush and occupy autonomous Ukraine. To argue and parse debate on any of these wrongdoings, and to propagate the twisty Putinesque justification for the unjustifiable, is aiding and abetting the criminal megalomaniac and his evil menace. Useful idiocy in action.

So here we find ourselves. People spreading his lies to sow doubt and disseminating his disinformation to seed divisiveness. Trademark moves of Putin: Push Russian desirable narratives out to target audiences to cause dissension, chaos and destabilization. Social media is certainly seeing an escalation of this agitprop and it is widely noted that aficionados of Breitbart News and Fox's Tucker Carlson, and fans of the numerous other democracy disrupters ---such as Steve Bannon & Laura Ingraham etc--- have been lured into promoting Putin nonsense.

IMO its way past time to start supporting the tireless endeavors and efforts of the nations who are on the side of defending democracy---along with their knowledgeable leaders and teams of supremely competent diplomatic, intelligence and military experts---and stop supporting the anti-democratic aims of Putin by propagating his poopy agitprop.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-08-2022 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: Phrasing & grammar& bolding for clarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies