Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2022, 01:27 PM

382 posts, read 124,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
You would risk world war to protect Latvia? You would go to Europe yourself and send your children to certain death for Latvia? I understand NATO and the importance of a strong western alliance, so did Trump when he pushed the NATO countries to pay more for defense. I just disagree that we should of allowed Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia to join NATO in 2004, it threatens everything NATO stands for if we don’t act. Why did we expand NATO so far East to include countries that add little military support to strengthen NATO but that can trap us into a war?
It is too late now for you to be asking things like this. The fact is this: these nations are members. And they would have to be defended if attacked. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
if a nato country in europe is invaded by russia, biden would have no choice but to fight militarily with our troops to protect that invaded country per our nato treaty. would sending our troops to a nato country to fight russia mean it would become a world war? perhaps. i don't think biden and his advisors are capable to handle that responsibility. I so hope putin will stop with ukraine....but, i'm worried.
Correct. And I share the same worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If I was president here is what I would do. ...[snip]

As soon as all the troops were in position I would change the mission from defensive to offensive and launch a Pearl Harbour style surprise air attack on the Russian military bases in Kaliningrad and hit them with everything we have. Then follow that up with an invasion simultaneously from both Poland and Lithuania with the goal of controlling the entire Kaliningrad Oblast with in 24 hours. There is very little Putin could do about it.
Well, thank goodness you are not in charge of these things. That would be a direct attack on the sovereign territory of Russia.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:30 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Hopefully not, probably would.

I am definitely not a fan of some of the alliances that the US is
a member of...... especially the ones that lock us into war.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:44 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Yes, and President Biden kind of alluded to this in his speech, yesterday.

We need to start preparing, now. And President Biden needs to drop the f'in ban on new oil and gas leases and drilling permits, and STOP FUNDING THE ENEMY. This is no time to be worried about the climate.

President Biden's energy stance is a threat to National security.
Biden is proving each day he is an imbecile. How much more evidence do we need? World War III can b e around the corner and Biden is worried about climate change.

That's like saying I am going to make sure I put on sun screen to protect me as the nuclear warheads fly . This is his defense.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:46 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Hopefully not, probably would.

I am definitely not a fan of some of the alliances that the US is
a member of...... especially the ones that lock us into war.
You would love NATO if the United States were attacked.. and we had NATO allies ready to fight with us. If all of Europe falls, we are all alone.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:53 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Default Would Vladimir Putin really start WW3 by invading a NATO country militarily?

He has invaded Ukraine (a non-NATO country) already. There is always a possibility that the fighting he has initiated, could spill over a border into NATO countries such as Poland, Hungary, etc. - something Putin knew before he started this war.

If NATO countries such as Poland, England, the U.S. etc. give him enough trouble by supplying Ukraine with lethal aid, fuel, etc., might Putin actually pull the trigger on an expanded war into a NATO country, thereby risking starting WWIII?

BTW, if Putin orders a massive cyber-attack on a NATO country, shutting down the power grid, communications grid, shipping systems etc., people in that country could very likely die, especially in winter, as food supplies fail, heating apparatus fails, etc. That would be an act of war as lethal as a military invasion, of that NATO country. NATO Treaty Article 5 would directly apply.

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive...exts_17120.htm

Old 02-25-2022, 01:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
No.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:55 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Would we really start ww3 to defend a Nato country militarily?

Typically bass-ackwards question. We wouldn't be starting WWII. Putin might extend the war he has already started, into WWIII by attacking one or more NATO countries.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
WWIII is the end of the world. Seems unlikely that Russia would risk it.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:23 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Russia is no match for NATO and nuclear is beyond even his mad reasoning. As for cyber, the practice for now seems to meet cyber with cyber.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:34 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Pretty much what they ^^^ said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies