Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 06:58 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The ideal, is to have a leader who is totally capable, reasonable, and in control. Having other countries wonder what some crazy leader of the most powerful country on earth is about to do, and so they're sitting there quietly looking at their shoes, isn't ideal.

And that's what we had with Trump. Other countries wondering what in the blazes he might do next. Thank goodness we only had 4 years of that. I don't know what world diplomacy would look like right now, if we were silly enough to elect that man AGAIN.

As it is, we've got Russia going off the deep end and most of the world seeing this as we do, while we take a quiet watchful approach. All good.
Not sure what this means (bold)? Seem's your good with what russia has done today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 07:16 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,641,644 times
Hopefully there are more of these kind of guys over there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Arkhipov

Old 02-27-2022, 07:30 PM

170 posts, read 60,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't tell what you're saying. Could you look at your post and try again?
got distracted. it only take one nuke to start a nuclear war. if putin give the order, out of thousands soliders who actually control all the nuke in russia, there is gonna have few that will obey putins order, and launch the nuke.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:32 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I know these are powerful weapons, but just how destructive are they? If Putin were to hit California, how much area would be destroyed from one hit?
When the nukes start, it won’t matter.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:38 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
NK has tested several nukes. This has been widely confirmed and they're crude. Just google.

They continue to test ICBM's and are supposedly still a few years or so from getting a nuke small enough to put on one.
oh, I'm well aware they're testing to try and both get nuke warheads and missiles capable of delivering them. And as I said, I was not aware they were successful in developing either that might strike the US.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:39 PM

1,175 posts, read 551,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Do they only have the capability to reach the west coast?
Asking for a friend…
Lol

Old 02-27-2022, 07:57 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,301,601 times
The USA developed anti-missile defense systems that were supposed to stop all intercontinental missiles. Encouraged, US politicians started to poke the Bear in the eye.

Then, the Bear showed hyper-sonic missiles that are so fast that they are unstoppable by current anti-missile systems.

Here is a declassified video about a Russian nuclear test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhZ3i-HXS0

Old 02-27-2022, 08:17 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
It's sad that now with Biden, we have to even think it's now a possibility. With Trump I always felt safe and had no need to even worry about nuclear wars.
Trump was far more likely to initiate a nuclear war than Biden. Trump is an idiot who lacks critical thinking skills and who ignores his advisors, trusting only in his gut. Trump is a stupid moron.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:17 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's always been the principle of MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction. But that presumes that the leader with the authority to launch nukes is concerned with the survival of his country. Mental illness can completely change how one thinks and what they value. The real question is what checks and balances exist within the Russian system, and would that system carry out launch orders?

Why do we each have thousands of nukes when a few dozen each would be enough to destroy each other's country as a functioning nation? The answer is - to ensure that no one deludes themselves into thinking that a nuclear war is winnable with a massive first strike. If you think you can wipe out your enemy with a massive first strike then you might be tempted to do that and be done with the threat once and for all. And if you think your enemy could wipe you out with a massive first strike then you might be in a position where you have to anticipate an imminent lauch and launch first. What scares Putin by NATO being in former Soviet countries is that our missiles there could reach and annihilate most targets in Russia before Russia could even relay a counter-attack order.
If Russia or any country launches a nuclear weapon on the United States, I am in favor of absolutely annihilating that country.

Not a single human should remain standing.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:19 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
So it could wipe out a good part of the country with one hit? With it being so powerful, at least if it did happen, it would be a quick death with less suffering. I wish we could just go in and kill Putin.
One missile would not hurt the entire country. Most missiles seem to carry warheads of less than one megaton, which would wipe out a significant portion of central LA or much of San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies