Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2022, 06:40 PM

52,796 posts, read 34,663,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhag1 View Post
i have four decades of experience related directly to public education as a teacher, as an administrator, as an education researcher, as an instructor of future/current teachers. Is that good enough?

It is my sincere hope that other states will adopt a similar law or regulations. Unfortunately, there are far too many teachers right now who are addressing sexual topics inappropriately with younger and younger students. That inappropriateness ranges from addressing the topic unknowingly in a developmentally inappropriate manner to deliberately grooming or fishing. There have been children emotionally damaged, whether it was intentional on the teacher’s part or not. If a k-3 child goes to the teacher with questions about sexuality, no, the teacher should not call the parents. They should send the child to the counselor, who is after all specifically trained to deal with this, because a k-3 student doing so is a red flag since it is not developmentally normal for a child that age to be attuned to sexual matters. The counselor can then decide what is the appropriate next step, whether it’s calling the parents, calling cps, or just appropriately answering the child’s question.

Parents have a right to know what their children are being taught, they have a right to expect it to be developmentally appropriate, and they have a right to not have their child subjected to social experimentation or a teacher’s personal agenda that conflicts with their values.
+1

Old 03-18-2022, 07:08 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,855,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The stings have included Disney people over the years. No different than any other person such as pastors or church leaders, executives, etc. also been caught with these stings.
You defend the guilty and accuse the innocent. Nice, what does that say about you?

Old 03-18-2022, 07:43 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
*raises hand*

I knew girls who thought you couldn't get pregnant on the first several times you had sex. Why they thought that, who knows. One girl giggled and said "well, I guess you could if he was really "big". Whatever in the world made her think that, who knows.

Additionally, look around on the net and see teen pregnancy forums. There are really bizarre questions about how you can/can not get pregnant.
Anecdotal.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:44 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,268,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
You defend the guilty and accuse the innocent. Nice, what does that say about you?

Old 03-18-2022, 09:03 PM

35,770 posts, read 21,134,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have four decades of experience related directly to public education as a teacher, as an administrator, as an education researcher, as an instructor of future/current teachers. Is that good enough?

It is my sincere hope that other states will adopt a similar law or regulations. Unfortunately, there are far too many teachers right now who are addressing sexual topics inappropriately with younger and younger students. That inappropriateness ranges from addressing the topic unknowingly in a developmentally inappropriate manner to deliberately grooming or fishing. There have been children emotionally damaged, whether it was intentional on the teacher’s part or not. If a K-3 child goes to the teacher with questions about sexuality, no, the teacher should not call the parents. They should send the child to the counselor, who is after all specifically trained to deal with this, because a K-3 student doing so is a red flag since it is not developmentally normal for a child that age to be attuned to sexual matters. The counselor can then decide what is the appropriate next step, whether it’s calling the parents, calling CPS, or just appropriately answering the child’s question.

Parents have a right to know what their children are being taught, they have a right to expect it to be developmentally appropriate, and they have a right to not have their child subjected to social experimentation or a teacher’s personal agenda that conflicts with their values.
Where’s is this going on that teachers are coaching kids in sexual matters in that age group ?? And I do agree a counselor be the next call- if there is one at the school. Some stats for you to read. Some areas there are 700 students to one counselor, some 250, in either case over-worked and understaffed. I think the bill should read no coordinated or scheduled instruction or literature etc on the teachers curriculum, but if a child has concerns or questions they should be able to answer. I don’t care if with the counselor, nurse or principal- standing there.
That’s it… give the child the floor, and don’t act like the child said a bad word and freak out or ignore the kid.

https://floridaphoenix.com/2019/04/0...ol-counselors/

Old 03-18-2022, 09:24 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,460,721 times
Quote:
The stings have included Disney people over the years. No different than any other person such as pastors or church leaders, executives, etc. also been caught with these stings.
True. Predators exist in all walks of life and at all socioeconomic levels.

Since there are so many teachers allegedly grooming FL children, I'm wondering why they didn't arrest any.

Did I miss something?

Old 03-18-2022, 09:30 PM

35,770 posts, read 21,134,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
True. Predators exist in all walks of life and at all socioeconomic levels.

Since there are so many teachers allegedly grooming FL children, I'm wondering why they didn't arrest any.

Did I miss something?
I can’t say teachers have not been arrested for being sexual predators, because they have. But it’s not just this bill but all the bills he’s been concentrating on. Now they screaming for the Fl congress to return because there is chaos in the home insurance increase situation and they didn’t even address it. Too busy trying to puff out his chest before his followers.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:31 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times
Quote:
My point is:
1- Sex is not being taught in any grade school lower classes.
2- I posted the verbiage on the posts from the bill. A lay person would say cannot discuss any sex issues.
3- All these types of conversations are to be reported to parents.
We agree so far ?
No, we do not agree. Sex is being taught in lower grades. It’s not in the curriculum but that doesn’t stop individual teachers from doing it anyway. Teaching additional material in addition to curriculum is not grounds for termination without lots of documentation of counseling and remediation. Teaching contrary to specific guidelines codified in law, on the other hand, is grounds for termination first time if egregious.

As to “All these types of conversations are to be reported to parent”, you need to read the actual law. I have provided full copies of the law in a couple posts, so I am not redoing it. School personnel are supposed to encourage students to talk to their parents or even help facilitate them talking to their parents but the law specifically states that this law does not prohibit deciding to not involve the parent if doing so would place the student at risk to be abused or, for God’s sake, if it might be the parent doing the abuse. There are existing laws, by the way, that specify that teachers are not allowed to tell parents about the child accusing the parent of abuse and that they can end up in jail themselves or heavily fined for doing that instead of reporting it to CPS.
Quote:
4- Small aged children cannot report what they do not know.
5- if they have a good parent - they teach kids not to let anyone hurt or touch them or ever talk to them. Stranger Danger .
6 - if they do not have a good parent - they lose
We agree still?
No, we do not agree. Small children report things to teachers without having a clue that they are. You talk to them about the difference between secrets and surprises and it seems like every few years one will come tell you about Mommy’s boyfriend making them keep a secret or, as happened with one of my student teachers a couple years ago, the art teacher.
Quote:
Child abuse is physical- emotional- verbal and sexual. The latter being the most threatening and secretive of all
On this we agree.
Quote:
Teachers can only deem if something is wrong - if -the child shuts down or acts differently.
And, most get very, very good at it. There is a reason teachers are the number one source of substantiated child abuse reports in school age children, we recognize when a child is not acting in a developmentally appropriate way and start trying to work out why.

Quote:
Your answer- send them to the nurse -or principal who they really do not interact with very often.
No, I want them sent to the counselor, who is TRAINED to address the issue. Teachers can and have done additional emotional damage to children because they weren’t equipped to appropriately address children in these circumstances.

Quote:
DiSantis answer - call the parents.

Can you for a sec think back as a small child - if there’s something bothering you, but afraid to say anything AT HOME- or you feel sad because you feel differently or maybe they are bullying you, whose your next person to maybe help you ? Your teacher. 6/8 hrs a day with them.

Ok if sex is a forbidden subject. The teacher cannot help the child in anyway - call the nurse principal n back to the parents. 99% of the time that may work.
In my experience- many children are lost to bad parents. Not available- drunks - pillheads - dopers etc. To say. There is no parent or barely one there.
I understand some think the groomers are the teachers, and they can be. Pervs are everywhere, but 99% are not, and not are bisexual or gay etc etc. You might find a recruiter- but it’s not all democratic teachers.
I knew of a puppeteer in a church I visited, n the parents allowed the kids to spend the night at his house.
He wanted to have sex n later eat the kids. I was shocked at the response of the pastor when it all went down. Total denial- but no urgency to vet the rest of the staff etc. I was more than Pxxd. I cannot explain how many times a parent was involved, but
My point again, is children and teachers should not be bound in total silence with any sex issues or questions. It’s never been a problem, why would it be now ??
Maybe traveling overseas -I saw other countries teach young kids about body parts n basic sex, I’m more intune with educating earlier. That does not mean I want to hurt a child. Ever.
Because teachers used to understand that a K-3 student discussing sexuality or sexual activity was not normal and that meant there was probably something off kilter in the home so they discussed it with the counselor, who would start talking to the child, or they called CPS instead of deciding they were going to make it a class wide discussion. Because teachers used to not discuss their own sexuality with K-3 students. Because teachers used to wear clothing at school that matched their body, didn’t change their names, didn’t use non standard pronouns for themselves, and didn’t read books about anyone’s sexuality or alternative lifestyles. It used to be that K-3 teachers understood their primary purpose was teach reading and math, not create social change. Teachers, like the rest of society, used to understand that the innocence of childhood was something to zealously protect.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:25 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,460,721 times
Quote:
I can’t say teachers have not been arrested for being sexual predators, because they have. But it’s not just this bill but all the bills he’s been concentrating on. Now they screaming for the Fl congress to return because there is chaos in the home insurance increase situation and they didn’t even address it. Too busy trying to puff out his chest before his followers.
Oh, I agree teachers are arrested as predators. What I meant was I didn't see any arrested in the recent Polk County sting operation. Seems odd if FL schools are teeming with groomers.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:26 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Oh, I agree teachers are arrested as predators. What I meant was I didn't see any arrested in the recent Polk County sting operation. Seems odd if FL schools are teeming with groomers.
It takes a while to catch them, but I guarantee you, they are doing it.

According to research 9.6% of all students will report having an adult associated with their school engage in sexually inappropriate words or deeds at some point in their 13 years of education. Think about that for a minute. While for some students it was just words or pictures, 6.7% of all students experienced physical sexual abuse and it happens in all grades: 38 percent of reported adult abusers targeted elementary students; 56 percent abused middle or high school students; and 6 percent abused students in both age groups.

Here is the breakdown of school role based on 5 years of reports:
  • Teacher - 18%
  • Coach - 15%
  • Substitute Teacher - 13%
  • Bus Driver - 12%
  • Teacher’s Aide - 11%
  • Other School Employee - 10%
  • Security Guard - 10%
  • Principal - 6%
  • Counselor - 5%
You see why I want them going to the counselor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies