Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2022, 04:15 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Damn it. I just love screwing around with clocks twice a year.
I always forget my truck and 6 months later it's right again.

I'm gonna love permanent DST as my hens were vulnerable to predators for an hour before anyone got home to close the coop cause it was dark out.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:23 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I always forget my truck and 6 months later it's right again.

I'm gonna love permanent DST as my hens were vulnerable to predators for an hour before anyone got home to close the coop cause it was dark out.
I don't know. According to some here your work will just adjust your report time until later so you aren't driving in in the dark.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:30 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
It looks like this may be going nowhere in the House.

Bill to Make Daylight Saving Time Permanent in Danger as House Members Consider Keeping Clock Changes

https://www.westernjournal.com/bill-...ing-wwi-relic/
Think this will easily pass as I believe it only requires a majority vote..

Old 03-21-2022, 05:54 PM

9,109 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know. According to some here your work will just adjust your report time until later so you aren't driving in in the dark.
I don't understand the argument against DST over driving in the dark in the morning. During standard time, people are driving home from work in the dark when they are fatigued and tired. It would be safer if people were driving in the dark to work when they are refreshed after a night of sleep.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:57 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I don't understand the argument against DST over driving in the dark in the morning. During standard time, people are driving home from work in the dark when they are fatigued and tired. It would be safer if people were driving in the dark to work when they are refreshed after a night of sleep.
I don't understand the delusion that people have that schools, businesses, stores, etc. will change their hours en masse. That's not reality.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:57 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
I have lived with DST for my entire life. That would be five decades plus. Again, this is something that is just part of life. To my knowledge nobody ever died from it. Standard time is fine but DST is even better! I remember viewing the Olympic mountains from Seattle in late June at 10 pm. Spectacular!

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-21-2022 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-22-2022, 08:55 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Here in San Diego with the forced desegregation busing program it won't matter either way as kids being bused in from the S Bay to schools up north will either, a. be waiting in the dark for a bus or b. be walking home in the dark.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:20 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times
I be curious whether it would lead to some overhaul of the borders of time zones.
As well as commerce and school schedules. I agree Some start way too early.

I be curious how many other countries would follow suit. I remember that Russia gave up permanent Daylight time a while ago. Another place where permanent Daylight time would be a Godsend is Japan as the sun literally rises 4am during the summer meaning its light a 3am at times. But they found permanent daylight time impractical which was proposed to take effect for the Olympic year.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:05 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
I had to double-check the calendar to see if it wasn't April 1st.

So we have

War in Ukraine
Record Gas Prices
Inflation
Supply Chain Issues.

Yet this is what the Senate decides to spend time on and approve unanimously?

Are we really at a point when people feel they can't be inconvenienced with changing their clocks twice a year?

How many clocks did anyone actually have to "reset" last weekend? I had to reset 2 clocks, took an entire minute.
The Senate didn't spend any time on it. They passed it unanimously without debate. Now if the House can rise to the challenge and do the same, it will be over and they can all focus their attention on the other important issues that you outlined.

On the other hand if anti-DST Karens in the House decide to throw a monkey wrench into it and start a debate, well that's on them.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:25 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Much of the world has daylight time in summer, though the start and end are a little different from us. The entire EU goes on DST. All of Europe except Russia, Iceland and Belarus have DST.
The EU is already on board to put an end to clock changes, and will likely do it regardless of what the US decides. Canada and Mexico just follow what the US does regarding clock changes. So if this passes, there will be only a handful of countries in the world still changing their clocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies