Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2022, 01:32 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I repeat.....In the evening, just after the sun has gone down, it’s still pretty warm from having been exposed to the sun having been up for the past twelve hours or so. In the morning, just before the sun comes up, it’s been dark for the past twelve hours or so, and has had plenty of time to cool off.

Therefore, less energy via air conditioning would be consumed with Standard Time when there is more sunlight in the cooler mornings vs having more intense sunlight via DST in the early evenings when it is much hotter based on the above.

Yes, really odd that you and some others just don't get it no matter how many times it's explained to you.
Nobody "gets it" because you aren't explaining your position very well.

"Less energy" via air conditioning would be contingent on human behavior. Your air conditioner's thermostat can't tell time...just temperature.

As was mentioned by mkpunk... in Arizona they don't go on daylight savings time because they would rather have hours of sunlight in their morning times as opposed to the evening due to the heat.

In Arizona in the summer the sun is up at about 4:30 AM. Assuming that you sleep from 10:00 pm to 6:00 AM for instance... you are sleeping during that hour of sunlight and you are awake in the evening with an extra hour of it being dark.

You would save on air conditioning because in your more active evening hour... it's dark. And as you say, the extra hour of light, you are asleep and because it has been dark, it's not as hot. So it's easier to sleep during that hour of light.

Simply put. In Arizona summer you sleep for an extra hour when it's light and you are awake for an extra hour when it's dark.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:47 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Nobody has explained why we can't just do a one time 1/2 hour shift and then be done with it.
Most time zones across the globe are +/- in 1-hour increments. While we wouldn't be the only ones, we would join the few countries whose time zones are 30 minutes off.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:12 PM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Nobody "gets it" because you aren't explaining your position very well.

"Less energy" via air conditioning would be contingent on human behavior. Your air conditioner's thermostat can't tell time...just temperature.

As was mentioned by mkpunk... in Arizona they don't go on daylight savings time because they would rather have hours of sunlight in their morning times as opposed to the evening due to the heat.

In Arizona in the summer the sun is up at about 4:30 AM. Assuming that you sleep from 10:00 pm to 6:00 AM for instance... you are sleeping during that hour of sunlight and you are awake in the evening with an extra hour of it being dark.

You would save on air conditioning because in your more active evening hour... it's dark. And as you say, the extra hour of light, you are asleep and because it has been dark, it's not as hot. So it's easier to sleep during that hour of light.

Simply put. In Arizona summer you sleep for an extra hour when it's light and you are awake for an extra hour when it's dark.
I've explained it perfectly but you and yours still just don't get it. Your second paragraph about Arizona explains exactly what I am trying to say. I give up!

I'll just close quoting this article once again if the DST fans just don't get the health hazards of DST either.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ience-1322200/

Last edited by Oldglory; 03-17-2022 at 02:30 PM..

Old 03-17-2022, 09:47 PM

3,649 posts, read 1,604,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That's why I'm one of those weirdos that wants a one single time zone for the entire earth!

Most people can't even comprehend that we can have a single time zone, their heads might explode, but we can and it would be marvelous.
I've said before that it's incredible the whole world follows the current time zones. As well as other world standards such as units of measurement and finance. This is because of trade and commerce. Commerce requires agreements of terms, such as time, date, location, etc between businesses.

And if anyone has any doubt, the reason they want a permanent daylight savings is so more people will shop after work with that extra hour of daylight. THIS is the reason and nothing else.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:16 AM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
I've said before that it's incredible the whole world follows the current time zones. As well as other world standards such as units of measurement and finance. This is because of trade and commerce. Commerce requires agreements of terms, such as time, date, location, etc between businesses.

And if anyone has any doubt, the reason they want a permanent daylight savings is so more people will shop after work with that extra hour of daylight. THIS is the reason and nothing else.
You know I wouldn't doubt that one iota. It probably has nothing to do with placating those who want daylight till 10 pm in the summer via DST or those of us who want to conserve energy with Standard time.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:26 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
All this discussion gives me just one more reason to be glad that my husband and I are retired.

We start preparing dinner about a half-hour before sunset*, and we get up when we want to get up. The only time we pay attention to our clocks is when we have an appointment!

*The room with our TV faces has a very large and uncovered west-facing window with no other buildings visible, so we enjoy eating dinner just after sunset, whenever that happens to be. If we were to eat before then and there was a blazing sun, we would not be able to see the TV well.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-18-2022 at 10:19 AM..

Old 03-18-2022, 10:15 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,697 times
I am not in favor of this. We tried it once in the seventies, and it was a disaster. Among the most compelling arguments against year-round Daylight Savings Time:

[URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/15/no-more-changing-clocks-history-says-be-careful-what-you-wish-daylight-saving-time/"][LIST][*]It puts clocks out of sync with Europe, which has standard time between late October and late March, creating problems in the trade and travel sectors.
[*]It makes it more difficult for various religions to practice rituals at home, such as sunrise prayers for Jews.
[*]It might actually increase gasoline consumption, given that people will have more time in the evening to go outside.
[*]Despite the widespread belief that it’s meant to benefit farmers, they actually really dislike it and have consistently lobbied against it since World War I.[/LIST][/URL]
Additionally, it would mean young children walking or catching the bus in the dark for months at a time, as was the case for me the first time around.

Link from The Washington Post: "No more changing clocks? History says be careful what you wish for on daylight saving time."

Old 03-18-2022, 11:45 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
All this discussion gives me just one more reason to be glad that my husband and I are retired.

We start preparing dinner about a half-hour before sunset*, and we get up when we want to get up. The only time we pay attention to our clocks is when we have an appointment!

*The room with our TV faces has a very large and uncovered west-facing window with no other buildings visible, so we enjoy eating dinner just after sunset, whenever that happens to be. If we were to eat before then and there was a blazing sun, we would not be able to see the TV well.
Yes, me too!

All the years working in a windowless interior office, often not seeing more than a few minutes of natural light during the winter months on weekdays, I looked forward to DST, just to be able to get more natural light in the evenings, when I could more easily take advantage of it.

Now, like you, I don't have to do anything according to clock time, unless I have an appointment. What happens (or doesn't) with the seasonal time change, doesn't much matter to me, anymore.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:54 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
I work 12 hour shifts. It’s already difficult to get adequate sleep between them and a nightmare on the weekends I lose another hour of sleep bc of it. Worse is working nights and being forced to work an extra unpaid hour. They need to eliminate DST altogether

Old 03-18-2022, 01:04 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Looks like this puppy is going to be a GO as soon as the Ukraine thing blows over. Say hello to permanent Daylight Savings Time Baby!

A proposal to make daylight saving time permanent is finding bipartisan support in the House after its passage in the Senate.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...ime-bill-later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies