Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 07:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 1,414,327 times

Advertisements

I've been working from home for over two years, so my job doesn't require me to be at risk for exposing myself to many different people all day everyday. But I'm quite surprised to see many workers out there, whether it be salesmen at Macy's or Best Buy or cashiers at a store, supermarket or fast food restaurant, who aren't afraid to go maskless. They are out there everyday interacting with strangers (people who could be carriers of all sorts of illnesses) and they are not afraid to be maskless. What is up with that? And most importantly, how do these people not contract any sickness, especially something as contagious as Omicron?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 07:28 PM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Because mask mandates have been lifted. You wear a mask if you want to.
The CFR for covid is down to 1% and below in many countries.
It's not as lethal as the original virus.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Because mask mandates have been lifted. You wear a mask if you want to.
The CFR for covid is down to 1% and below in many countries.
It's not as lethal as the original virus.
And that's fine. I'm just wondering how people can choose to not wear one given the exposure that the job requires. Personally, I'd be afraid.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:37 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,855,219 times
I run a charter boat and the last 2 years were quite busy. My boat is only 23ft and my groups are typically 4 clients and I didn't wear a mask once and I only had one group that wore them. I actually had a few groups book me after asking if they were required and they were quite pleased when I said "no, they aren't required"!
I like to be understood when I talk and also understand others.
I also like to breath.
And I'm not existing in fear. I'm living my life.

If I wear a mask at my work because of fear I might as well wear a bulky life jacket, a helmet, steel meshed gloves, knee high puncture proof boots and a chainmail suit.

Life has risks so its better for me to live it and face them instead of being hunkered away inside, hiding in fear.

I'm not the paranoid type so I live my life as people have for a long time.

And I have a weakened immune system from the drugs I am taking for a kidney transplant I received in July, 2020.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:41 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I've been working from home for over two years, so my job doesn't require me to be at risk for exposing myself to many different people all day everyday. But I'm quite surprised to see many workers out there, whether it be salesmen at Macy's or Best Buy or cashiers at a store, supermarket or fast food restaurant, who aren't afraid to go maskless. They are out there everyday interacting with strangers (people who could be carriers of all sorts of illnesses) and they are not afraid to be maskless. What is up with that? And most importantly, how do these people not contract any sickness, especially something as contagious as Omicron?
I guess because even Fauci acknowledges it takes more time than your average consumer interaction to contract Covid?

Old 03-17-2022, 07:42 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,518 times
Quote:
And that's fine. I'm just wondering how people can choose to not wear one given the exposure that the job requires. Personally, I'd be afraid.
....the least interesting man in the world ..."Stay frightened, my friend"....

Old 03-17-2022, 07:42 PM

46,309 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
I went to best buy today (where I live and for the rest of my response) and the employees were all masked, kroger was the same, even walmart.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:44 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post

Honestly, that’s just stupid. But it is your life, and your decision, and I respect that.
I think you maybe meant to say "What did your doctor say about your Covid risks post-transplant?"

Old 03-17-2022, 07:47 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post

Honestly, that’s just stupid. But it is your life, and your decision, and I respect that.
Nah, it’s not stupid, and not everyone chooses to live their life in fear. Fear is no way to live, but folks that are scared can simply stay home.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Nah, it’s not stupid, and not everyone chooses to live their life in fear. Fear is no way to live, but folks that are scared can simply stay home.

There's a difference between living in fear vs. living smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies