Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:16 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times

Advertisements

This is question to libertarians and market fundamentalists: We know that income and wealth inequality will skyrocket by design under these type of policies. This is embraced as "fair" and "great" because the market is just super great. But who will write the patent laws, trade deals, anti-trust legislation and so much more in an economy where the ultra rich have so much wealth and power? Your answer is that if we just shrink the government everything will be fine, but who will write the patent laws, trade deals and anti-trust legislation? The ultra wealthy would basically have full control over this process and will steamroll over 99.99% of the population. What is so great about that?

Last edited by PCALMike; 07-01-2016 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 06:20 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Anyone know what this rant is about?

Old 07-01-2016, 06:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Did you try reading it?

Patent laws and trade deals are two forms of regulation that "small government conservatives" have historically supported. They also happen to be two forms of regulation that benefit the wealthy. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Unable to answer I see. Why havent you thought about the consequences of the "government is evil" rhetoric? We need LAWS and who will write these laws in an environment of massive wealth and income inequality if not the donor class? Its like shooting yourself in the foot. If you are NOT ultra rich and you support policies that will sharply increase inequality because you think "markets are great, government is evil, rich people should be fawned over, taxes are theft" or some other far right talking point, then you are basically saying that the interests of you and your family dont matter.

Last edited by PCALMike; 07-01-2016 at 06:32 AM..

Old 07-01-2016, 06:27 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Well, I just read it and it seemed pretty straightforward. But then again, I read more than headlines.

He's saying that a completely or almost completely unregulated market would lead to more wealth inequality, which would lead to powerful elites forming and taking more political control, passing laws that woudl benefit them and hurt others. Again, got this just from reading.

You then have the options to concede defeat if you disagree with his point but can't come up with an argument against it or argue a point against it and dialogue will ensue. Or you can do the usual CD thing, call him stupid, refuse to justify that claim, then beat your meat to your own perceived victory.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:42 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Patent laws Are under the patent office: United States Patent and Trademark Office

Not sure how 'small gov conservatives' interplay with the implication. Note: we don't enforce many of our patent infringements today.

Anti-trust: again, we already allow this in infrastructure and energy by subsidization leading to monopolization of infrastructure. It's already a nightmare.

Trade laws: I can't think of the last favorable one to the us under either liberal or conservative leadership.

In short, I see the damn is already busted and your concerns are already here, today, and have been growing since they really took hold in the late 20s and 30s.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:47 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
I get it, too much freedom can be a bad thing. Some people are talented and some are not.
Some people are talented and lucky. Is that what you mean by the leftist term "income inequality"?
Life's a crap shoot and the less interference by government the better.
My wife and I played by the rules and did very well. You would likely consider me rich, and that's OK.
I recently retired so can now do whatever I want and no longer have to abide by the PC crap recently adopted by the corporate world.
In other words, I'm your worst nightmare!

Old 07-01-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Patent laws Are under the patent office: United States Patent and Trademark Office

Not sure how 'small gov conservatives' interplay with the implication. Note: we don't enforce many of our patent infringements today.

Anti-trust: again, we already allow this in infrastructure and energy by subsidization leading to monopolization of infrastructure. It's already a nightmare.

Trade laws: I can't think of the last favorable one to the us under either liberal or conservative leadership.

In short, I see the damn is already busted and your concerns are already here, today, and have been growing since they really took hold in the late 20s and 30s.
These are not arguments for market fundamentalism. Quite the opposite!

Its bad now and will get horrendous under policies that skyrocket wealth and income into the hands of the plutocracy. Regular folks would just be door mats with no power and living under pure tyranny.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I'm hoping to become one of the ultra-wealthies one day so I'm torn if I really want to contribute to the demise of my potential future powerfulness

Old 07-01-2016, 06:51 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
These are not arguments for market fundamentalism. Quite the opposite!

Its bad now and will get horrendous under policies that skyrocket wealth and income into the hands of the plutocracy. Regular folks would just be door mats with no power and living under pure tyranny.
You need to outline those policies then. You mention 3 specific aspects but no specific policy that can be attributed to right, or left, further exacerbating this.

And, this isn't a left/right thing. Both sides play this game and frame it so that the left/right populace divide grows, helping them retain power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies