Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 10:44 AM

30,385 posts, read 19,184,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Sorry, I guess I saw your Kia remark and assumed that you were saying that EVs are no better than Minivans. That is what our buddy Paracord thinks. My Model Y is no better than any other small SUV apparently. Of course he has never driven an EV so he is clearly an expert.
About the price of Teslas, I just checked and to get the exact same car configured the same as when I bought less than 2 years ago, the Model Y would cost $15K more, wow. I wouldn't buy it at that price and would opt for something like the Ionic 5 or Kia EV6 if I were buying today.

The EV naysayers have some valid points such as the cost, range and recharge time, etc. but I think those problems will be fixed in the coming years sufficiently to win the customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 11:58 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
About the price of Teslas, I just checked and to get the exact same car configured the same as when I bought less than 2 years ago, the Model Y would cost $15K more, wow. I wouldn't buy it at that price and would opt for something like the Ionic 5 or Kia EV6 if I were buying today.

The EV naysayers have some valid points such as the cost, range and recharge time, etc. but I think those problems will be fixed in the coming years sufficiently to win the customers.
Based on what though? Your premise is that that average person would be motivated to buy an EV simply because it is powered by electric rather than gasoline. You're talking about EVs simply becoming "the equal" of what we already have with gas.

The average person isn't going to switch just because it is electric.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:59 AM

2,612 posts, read 930,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

Yeah, I paid $52,290 (no sales tax) and got a $5,000 check from NJ (paid for directly out of paracord's taxes) so my final cost was $47,290. If I ordered new today, it would cost me $64,440 (I guess paracord complained to Governor Murphy so the $5k is no longer available), so a difference of +17,150 (and for a depreciating asset no less!). Pretty huge price increase for only about 1 1/2 years later.

So I havent looked for a car since I bought my Tesla, but due to price increases there is certainly no guarantee that I would get another Tesla.

Last edited by RoyaleWithCheese; 04-27-2022 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-27-2022, 01:07 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Based on what though? Your premise is that that average person would be motivated to buy an EV simply because it is powered by electric rather than gasoline. You're talking about EVs simply becoming "the equal" of what we already have with gas.

Ok...so what...I don't get your hatred for another type of vehicle

did you hate when they started seatbelts??, or when carbs got replaced by fuelies, or when the disc brake replaced the drum as the standard?

you are against subsidies for electric, but what about all the subsidies for oil

when I lived in Germany (late 80's), gasoline was $3 a liter...aka over $9/gallon.... in the US the government gives subsidies to keep the price so low

so what are you going to do IF gas prices hit 9 or 10/gal here??

Old 04-27-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Ok...so what...I don't get your hatred for another type of vehicle

did you hate when they started seatbelts??, or when carbs got replaced by fuelies, or when the disc brake replaced the drum as the standard?

you are against subsidies for electric, but what about all the subsidies for oil

when I lived in Germany (late 80's), gasoline was $3 a liter...aka over $9/gallon.... in the US the government gives subsidies to keep the price so low

so what are you going to do IF gas prices hit 9 or 10/gal here??
HAHA hatred? what? I'm just speaking logic. Hate has nothing to do with it.

Your analogies are off, no wonder you still can't understand:

1. Seatbelts: These introduced FUNCTIONALITY that didn't exist before that people like, unlike electrics.
2. Carbs: See above
3. disc brakes: See above.

Again: ELECTRICS ARE A DOWNGRADE IN PERFORMANCE AND FUNCTIONALITY, NOT AN UPGRADE.

Gas won't hit that level here because we have the ability to produce it ourselves and we have the DEMAND to do it, as Joe Biden is seeing now. The entire world runs on it, basically.

We are nothing like Germany in that regard, and never will be. We have wide open spaces, like big cars, and like to travel around...a lot!

Old 04-27-2022, 02:02 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
HAHA hatred? what? I'm just speaking logic. Hate has nothing to do with it.
You hatred is obvious, you have been spewing your hate throughout this thread. I have pointed it out to you myself.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You hatred is obvious, you have been spewing your hate throughout this thread. I have pointed it out to you myself.
Well, a lot of emotional people confuse pointing out tough facts with "hate."

"hate" is actually a buzzword today for those people. It means "anything they don't agree with."

Old 04-27-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Again: ELECTRICS ARE A DOWNGRADE IN PERFORMANCE AND FUNCTIONALITY, NOT AN UPGRADE.
really a downgrade??

how about the Lotus Evija... Four electric motors cranking out a combined 2,000 horsepower

or the Maserati MC20 EV

or the GMC Hummer EV with 1,000 horsepower, a 0-60 mph time of three seconds

and for 2023....Tesla Roadster .. 0-60 mph in less than two seconds, a 250-mph-or-higher top speed, more than 600 miles of range

and just announced for 2024...Dodge Electric Muscle Car...an all-wheel-drive retro-styled burnout machine that might well humble even the mighty Dodge Demon in the quarter mile. And hey, if you can't burn gas, you can still burn rubber. https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/g344...electric-cars/

sorry but electrics are going to make ICE vehicles seem like driving a mule soon

Old 04-27-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Well, a lot of emotional people confuse pointing out tough facts with "hate."

"hate" is actually a buzzword today for those people. It means "anything they don't agree with."
ok...not hate... but a very visible bias against EV

again YOU ARE THE OP

you started this thread...you stated that EV's ARE NOT the future...so prove your statement...,...because the ONLY thing you have halfway argued it that functionality TODAY is not quite there....yet your title and poll are about the future

you haven't even defined what the word future (how many years or decades) means

Old 04-27-2022, 05:20 PM

30,385 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:

Based on EV's offering more range and power at lower cost with more different types of EV's offered. Currently it's early adopters like myself buying EV's but once the price drops to or below comparable ICE vehicles, we'll see a tidal wave of switching to EV.

When I bought my Model Y 22 months ago, it was $15K less than what I would have to pay now if configured the same, so it was cheaper than comparable fast Crossovers such as Porsche Macan or BMW X3 but now I think it's become more expensive or comparably priced.

I still love the instantaneous power and great handling of my Y as well as the super low operating cost. Now though, there's other options that I would probably pick if I were buying today such as the BMW I4. I think the power of a good EV makes it more fun than ICE cars, silent but deadly (fast).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies