Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 11:52 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
All you gentlemen so afraid marriage is a racket where the lawyers and judges conspire to see that she gets all your stuff when she tires of you for another, JUST DONT GET MARRIED.
Im not sure just what your complaining or worried about.
You are all woe is me, I'm perpetually lonely and sexless. Woe is me, women are evil and out to take all my stuff.

No matter how handsome and sexy and fit and wealthy you think you are, with the attitudes I have seen here you will continue to be lonely and sexless because no one wants to be around someone who is constantly suspicious and undermining a relationship with perceived imagined wrongdoing and self pitty.
You’re assuming only women get tired and leave/want to leave for another…and I don’t recall anyone saying all women are evil and out to take their stuff.

All are certainly not woah is me, I’m perpetually lonely and sexless.

That goes both ways as there’s also a huge amount of single women that are suspicious of undermining a relationship with perceived imagined wrongdoing and self pity. Contrary to your belief, it’s not a one way street.

I’ve never thought anything you’re assuming about my wife. Never cared if she worked or didn’t and never had a reason not to trust her. Wouldn’t have married her if I did. Not everyone is so desperate to be married and ending up divorced a few years later.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:01 AM

6,956 posts, read 6,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would bet that the divorce rate and the never-married rate is substantially higher among people who have this view than among those who regard marriage as the uniting of two souls into one holy union, ordained and blessed by God.
The thing is, there are a lot of people who dont believe in God and there are a lot of people who dont believe that marriage is 'holy' either. Yes, they may like to get married in church, they may go once in a while too. Sometimes it pays to keep on the good side of the priest because it might be something which is expected of them and maybe what their mates have done or their wife-to-be wants. There are also many people who see it as more of a contractual thing without a "til death us do part" kind-of promise attached to it. I think that kind of promise is meant to evoke a guilt-trip if any thoughts of a split arise.

Then there is a question whether you should "stay together for the kids" or whether the arguing is detrimental to their mental welfare. I suspect there are studies which conclude both positions, but I am fairly certain I know what the religious folk would say.

I think a marriage is a partnership meant for learning certain things about life and so you are with the other person while you are both still learning stuff from each other. As soon as there is nothing left to learn about life from the other person, then the relationship is better being with another person. Kind-of like a teacher/student thing and when the teacher has taught you as much as he/she can, then it is time to move on to another higher grade teacher.

I am guessing you are not going to agree.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:57 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

I think a marriage is a partnership meant for learning certain things about life and so you are with the other person while you are both still learning stuff from each other. As soon as there is nothing left to learn about life from the other person, then the relationship is better being with another person.

This is different^^. IMO marriage is a partnership to live & enjoy life with somebody you love while still learning & growing as a person AND as a couple. It’s like you’re saying family & friends should be replaced because you stopped growing.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:02 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
I think a marriage is a partnership meant for learning certain things about life and so you are with the other person while you are both still learning stuff from each other. As soon as there is nothing left to learn about life from the other person, then the relationship is better being with another person. Kind-of like a teacher/student thing and when the teacher has taught you as much as he/she can, then it is time to move on to another higher grade teacher.
Yours would be the dystopian viewpoint?

Old 06-10-2022, 04:45 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,082 times
"I hate to be the one who points this out.... but many of these mass shootings are being done by guys who are not getting laid.

Why do you guys think that is?"

This was posted by one of my Facebook 'friends' today. I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. But as I said in my OP, this issue is becoming increasingly difficult to ignore....

I do not know what can be done to solve this, but fully legalizing prostitution I feel would be the most simple and most effective way to ameliorate this problem. Legal prostitution would not cost anyone anything, and would financially help federal, state, and municipal governments with additional tax revenue. It is completely absurd to criminalize the simple act of exchanging money for sex anyway.

Unfortunately, legalizing prostitution is probably politically impossible in the US. Keeping prostitution illegal is one of the few things the left and the right, liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, are completely united on. Just look at the sweeping bi-partisan support for the SESTA and FOSTA bills

Last edited by Taggerung; 06-10-2022 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-10-2022, 05:54 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
"I hate to be the one who points this out.... but many of these mass shootings are being done by guys who are not getting laid.

Because the type of guy that would shoot a bunch of ppl is the type of guy that is at home in his mom’s basement or home drinking beer every day on the sofa. They are loners & angry. Ofc he is not going to get “laid”^^ but it’s not like that is what caused him to go shoot a bunch of ppl.

edit: Tho…that is what it seems like you’re trying to say.^^

Old 06-10-2022, 06:53 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ofc….I didn’t say anything about marriage tho. Women are not being taught to avoid being with men…we are being taught about healthy relationships with healthy men & that involves sex. To not be dependent on a man is way different than not ever having a healthy & intimate relationship with a man.

Tho compatibility or vetting for a possible long term relationship is totally different than what you or this thread is saying.^^ AND it’s way different than sleeping with men to “run up the numbers”.
I interpreted what you said was that people who aren't dating/having sex are unhealthy. If that was what you meant, it is totally wrong.

As for the 2nd part, you are misinterpreting what I said. My comment had to do with running up the numbers of meeting people, not the number of sexual conquests.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:56 PM
bu2

Quote:
The thing is, there are a lot of people who dont believe in God and there are a lot of people who dont believe that marriage is 'holy' either. Yes, they may like to get married in church, they may go once in a while too. Sometimes it pays to keep on the good side of the priest because it might be something which is expected of them and maybe what their mates have done or their wife-to-be wants. There are also many people who see it as more of a contractual thing without a "til death us do part" kind-of promise attached to it. I think that kind of promise is meant to evoke a guilt-trip if any thoughts of a split arise.

Then there is a question whether you should "stay together for the kids" or whether the arguing is detrimental to their mental welfare. I suspect there are studies which conclude both positions, but I am fairly certain I know what the religious folk would say.

I am guessing you are not going to agree.
Sounds like a recipe for serial divorces.

You should have stopped with "marriage is a partnership."

Old 06-10-2022, 06:58 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post

Why do you guys think that is?"

This was posted by one of my Facebook 'friends' today. I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. But as I said in my OP, this issue is becoming increasingly difficult to ignore....

I do not know what can be done to solve this, but fully legalizing prostitution I feel would be the most simple and most effective way to ameliorate this problem. Legal prostitution would not cost anyone anything, and would financially help federal, state, and municipal governments with additional tax revenue. It is completely absurd to criminalize the simple act of exchanging money for sex anyway.

Unfortunately, legalizing prostitution is probably politically impossible in the US. Keeping prostitution illegal is one of the few things the left and the right, liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, are completely united on. Just look at the sweeping bi-partisan support for the SESTA and FOSTA bills
They tend to be loners without companionship of any kind. Prostitutes don't change that.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:01 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They tend to be loners without companionship of any kind. Prostitutes don't change that.
No, but a decent "girlfriend experience" from a prostitute can keep many of these guys from going over the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies