Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2022, 11:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
With divorce numbers the way they are, anyone that has assets and a well paying job that doesn’t get a prenup is asking to give them up and a lot of money away unless their soon to be spouse comes in with assets and a similar paying job, but even that is risky…and after reading many of these posts I’m extremely thankful to have the wife I have. Yikes

Amen to that. If you choose well then it doesn't matter how much money she brings to the table. Choose well. Or be lucky ... In this regard it's way better to be lucky than good.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:54 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Isn't it surprising that, in spite of all this, most Americans still end up getting married and having kids at some point in their lives?

Also, married people are usually considerably wealthier than single people.

It seems that life has certain laws which you can't change no matter how hard you try.
Are we comparing apples with apples here or are we comparing apples with oranges?
What are the circumstances of each married/single person and how do they test the hypothesis?
If you have a link to some research I would like to read it.

Seeing marriage is generally a religious 'thing' this first statement is hardly surprising and religion is a huge part of the American way of life. It is right there in the centre of the culture, education, and upbringing so it is hardly surprising that marriage is a requirement for most women at least and many men. As useless as it is, it indicates commitment to one another but given a few hundred years in the future I am not sure what trends are going to show up since religion is said to be fading out, at least in some other countries, such as the UK, it is.

Kids care about their parents being married because they hear their parents opinions on this type of thing. Kids bully other kids because of such things, and parents, if they are married themselves, feel nervous of the freedom and availability they perceive the unmarried ones have. I think most married couples have more friends who are married couples although I am not sure they would be totally honest about why that is.

Last edited by ocpaul20; 06-06-2022 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-06-2022, 08:21 AM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Are we comparing apples with apples here or are we comparing apples with oranges?
What are the circumstances of each married/single person and how do they test the hypothesis?

Seeing marriage is generally a religious 'thing' this first statement is hardly surprising and religion is a huge part of the American way of life. It is right there in the centre of the culture, education, and upbringing so it is hardly surprising that marriage is a requirement for most women at least and many men. As useless as it is, it indicates commitment to one another but given a few hundred years in the future I am not sure what trends are going to show up since religion is said to be fading out, at least in some other countries, such as the UK, it is.

Kids care about their parents being married because they hear their parents opinions on this type of thing. Kids bully other kids because of such things, and parents, if they are married themselves, feel nervous of the freedom and availability they perceive the unmarried ones have. I think most married couples have more friends who are married couples although I am not sure they would be totally honest about why that is.
It is ridiculously stupid to not realize that a government-sanctioned (usually at the local/state level) marriage is actually a legal partnership that has financial consequences. I can't tell you how many times I've warned my millennial kids (they have no student loan, credit card, or auto loan debt) to NOT get entangled with a prospective spouse that has any substantial debt in those areas with no discernible way to comfortably pay off the debt/s.

The same careful consideration must also be given in regards to the division of assets and any alimony or child support in the event of a divorce.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:35 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

This is one of the better articles explaining it:

https://www.worldfinance.com/wealth-...cs-of-marriage

Old 06-06-2022, 08:41 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Women are being taught to avoid being with men (other than for casual sex, if that) and they will be better off without them.

Tho women are not being taught to avoid being with men….we are being taught about healthy relationships. AND healthy relationships with healthy men involve sex. So I totally disagree the new normal is loneliness & sexlessness^^ in men. It may be normal for men & women who are unhealthy tho…mental health issues or no job or life.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:54 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Oh by all means go ahead and tell the story that happened to someone else and not to you.
I stated actual facts. I dont need to make stuff up.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:15 AM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Tho women are not being taught to avoid being with men….we are being taught about healthy relationships. AND healthy relationships with healthy men involve sex. So I totally disagree the new normal is loneliness & sexlessness^^ in men. It may be normal for men & women who are unhealthy tho…mental health issues or no job or life.
I know a number of "healthy" people who are unmarried and not doing a lot of dating.

Its a numbers game. If you don't run up the numbers, the odds are against you. And it takes prioritization to take the time to run up the numbers. Most people will not be compatible with you.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:41 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
All you gentlemen so afraid marriage is a racket where the lawyers and judges conspire to see that she gets all your stuff when she tires of you for another, JUST DONT GET MARRIED.
Im not sure just what your complaining or worried about.
You are all woe is me, I'm perpetually lonely and sexless. Woe is me, women are evil and out to take all my stuff.

No matter how handsome and sexy and fit and wealthy you think you are, with the attitudes I have seen here you will continue to be lonely and sexless because no one wants to be around someone who is constantly suspicious and undermining a relationship with perceived imagined wrongdoing and self pitty.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:44 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Marriage is just a piece of paper.
I would bet that the divorce rate and the never-married rate is substantially higher among people who have this view than among those who regard marriage as the uniting of two souls into one holy union, ordained and blessed by God.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:46 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I know a number of "healthy" people who are unmarried and not doing a lot of dating.

Ofc….I didn’t say anything about marriage tho. Women are not being taught to avoid being with men…we are being taught about healthy relationships with healthy men & that involves sex. To not be dependent on a man is way different than not ever having a healthy & intimate relationship with a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its a numbers game. If you don't run up the numbers, the odds are against you. And it takes prioritization to take the time to run up the numbers. Most people will not be compatible with you.

Tho compatibility or vetting for a possible long term relationship is totally different than what you or this thread is saying.^^ AND it’s way different than sleeping with men to “run up the numbers”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies