Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 08:37 AM

19,799 posts, read 9,341,315 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-abortion-leak

FROM THE ABOVE, my italics:

"Democrats spy a silver lining in the loss of federally guaranteed abortion rights, predicting that a Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade could galvanize voter support for their party and prevent a looming midterm elections disaster.

"Bracing for a fall rebuke over rising inflation and dissatisfaction with President Joe Biden, Democratic strategists say a Supreme Court ruling that shifts abortion rights to the discretion of the states would alter the 2022 debate and energize a dispirited liberal base."
[end quote]

Yep. That is what I predicted yesterday and what I fear more than almost anything else, politically speaking. Snatching defeat from the jaws of almost certain victory, that would possibly result in six more years of liberal insanity.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:38 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
And the next generation will undo all the moronic things that the Millennials and Gen Z have tried to put into place. Best part for me is I'll be watching and laughing through it all while I enjoy my retirement in about 10 years.
Will you still laugh if they undo your Social Security Retirement Income, such as lower the amount you get each month. Especially if you haven't retired yet.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:38 AM

15,852 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't why you are fighting this. Clearly the GOP from the time GWB got elected has had a strategy of pushing towards overturning R v W. Now for obvious political reasons you are pinning this eventuality one state health worker from Mississippi who you claim did it totally on their own. As it stands look at how many states have trigger laws or like what Texas has on the books. If not Mississippi it would have been Texas. If not Texas then the Oklahoma law.

I get why you are doing this. They left is livid and outraged. And now the mid terms which looked like a slam dunk for the GOP are probably up for grabs. I hope this was worth it to you all.

You got what the GOP has wanted for more than 20 years. Own it. Don't hide from it.

I am fine with states deciding abortion. At 58 its not an issue that effects me personally. And I concern myself with issues that have a direct effect on my life.

My only concern here is the left retaliating and limiting things that I do care about. Like gun rights. Or Biden packing the court.
Lots of liberals own guns. Even Bernie, as radical as people claim he is, had proposed the same laws Minnesota already had but stopping the person to person sales. That could have meant that a person was able to access records when they sold a gun and would be responsible for doing so. My husband has never sold one of his guns without doing the paperwork but he's seen deals go down in a parking lot of a gun show where that wasn't the case.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:39 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I disagree that a lot of people who support abortion do not grasp or acknowledge what it is. If they did we wouldn’t hear people say things like, “it’s just a clump of cells”, “it’s a parasite”, “it’s not a human life form”, “abortion only impacts the woman who has one”.
Different views for different people. Different values, different definitions. It is a clump of cells early in a pregnancy. It is also the beginning of a stage of pregnancy. Some do consider the relationship between mother and fetus parasitic. Not a life form? I wouldn’t agree with that, there’s a lot of opinions people can’t agree on. Opinions vary, depending on your beliefs. Again having different beliefs doesn’t make one pro abortion that supports only one choice. Pro choice supports all three choices. I’m very supportive of women who take their pregnancy to term.

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
More welfare recipients is a societal gain?

Ruining the lives of the would-be mothers is a societal gain?

Not following your twisted logic at all.

I don’t know that having a baby is akin to ruining a women’s life. It may not be a part of the plan but the idea that it will ruin their life is extreme.

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,606 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Not sure why you said "admit" rather than "realize"? Or "predict"?

But yes, I agree, this is not the Right's finest hour, as far as realizing what the country actually wants, which is early term abortions on demand.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:41 AM

494 posts, read 179,916 times
I think we'll all know very soon how politicized the SCOTUS is at this juncture. Once the republicans realize that this may cost them mid-term elections and the ability to swing the house in their favor one of the newer SC judges will change their mind amazingly. At first I thought this was leaked by a democrat, but the more I think about it I could see the repubs leaking it to test the waters.

If when it was leaked it causes some uproar, but dies down quickly with everything else going on in this world then they leave it as is and the final ruling comes out. If it causes an uproar and re-energizes the democratic base and they can see polls shifting then it's, "hey this was just a draft and debates were still going on, which is why the final ruling now upholds RvW."

I'll be up front in that I am a democrat living in a Red state. I planned on voting for the current R governor for re-election as I feel he has done a good job with the state and the D candidate is a little too far left for me. If this draft becomes a final ruling then I would actually move my vote to the D candidate over this one issue. I don't want to, but I can't in good conscience vote for someone that I know will pass restrictive laws against women's rights.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
What a weak move on the SCOTUS! LOL

Basically they refused to make a decision at the federal level. Leaving it up to the states is just keeping the abortion war raging for years to come. SCOTUS should have made a decision either way, and this would have ended the whole thing for good, because we would have a federal level solution.

I think the states should all send it right back to SCOTUS and demand they rule on it, (not avoid offending anyone).

Now, we are going to have people in all states, fighting with each other over this, its just like the Marijuana issue, the Federal govt refuses to make changes. so just like abortion, it rages on too.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:42 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
Interesting. I think the jury is in on abortion. It's wrong in many dimensions except in cases of violence or a crime or risk to the mother. I don't believe it's an issue that would overtake the economic disaster that Biden has spawned with his demented politic.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:43 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What a weak move on the SCOTUS! LOL

Basically they refused to make a decision at the federal level. Leaving it up to the states is just keeping the abortion war raging for years to come. SCOTUS should have made a decision either way, and this would have ended the whole thing for good, because we would have a federal level solution.

I think the states should all send it right back to SCOTUS and demand they rule on it, (not avoid offending anyone).
Have you read the draft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies