Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 08:46 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't why you are fighting this. Clearly the GOP from the time GWB got elected has had a strategy of pushing towards overturning R v W. Now for obvious political reasons you are pinning this eventuality one state health worker from Mississippi who you claim did it totally on their own. As it stands look at how many states have trigger laws or like what Texas has on the books. If not Mississippi it would have been Texas. If not Texas then the Oklahoma law.

i'm not fighting anything. i'm questioning your premise that 'the GOP' caused this particular case to happen. and you failed to answer any of my questions.

when did i claim one state health worker 'did it totally on their own'? please retract your lie.

Quote:
I get why you are doing this.
no, you absolutely do not. if you did, you wouldn't have to make up lies about my statements.

Quote:
They left is livid and outraged. And now the mid terms which looked like a slam dunk for the GOP are probably up for grabs. I hope this was worth it to you all.

You got what the GOP has wanted for more than 20 years. Own it. Don't hide from it.
i'm hiding from nothing. i'm waiting for you to tell us who the GOP officials were who pressured an abortion provider to protest time limits for obtaining an abortion, since that was your claim. own it.

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
I think we'll all know very soon how politicized the SCOTUS is at this juncture. Once the republicans realize that this may cost them mid-term elections and the ability to swing the house in their favor one of the newer SC judges will change their mind amazingly. At first I thought this was leaked by a democrat, but the more I think about it I could see the repubs leaking it to test the waters.

If when it was leaked it causes some uproar, but dies down quickly with everything else going on in this world then they leave it as is and the final ruling comes out. If it causes an uproar and re-energizes the democratic base and they can see polls shifting then it's, "hey this was just a draft and debates were still going on, which is why the final ruling now upholds RvW."

I'll be up front in that I am a democrat living in a Red state. I planned on voting for the current R governor for re-election as I feel he has done a good job with the state and the D candidate is a little too far left for me. If this draft becomes a final ruling then I would actually move my vote to the D candidate over this one issue. I don't want to, but I can't in good conscience vote for someone that I know will pass restrictive laws against women's rights.
Lol...so you will be voting for the party that labels women "birthing people" and supports men competing against women in sports ? Interesting.

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
It's a possibility, but it would only go to prove how dumb Dems are. They simply can't - or won't - understand that Roe v Wade may be overturned because it violates the 10th Amendment. Right now, Dems have an advantage at the federal level, so they're just peachy with allowing the federal government to overstep their Constitutionally mandated authority. When the shoe is on the other foot - Repubs in power - they're going to wish they hadn't supported Federal overreach. However, we all know Dem's are too stubborn or stupid to understand this. They thrive on simplistic, knee-jerk responses to issues rather than thinking about them from a strategic, long-term standpoint. It's why they spend money like drunken sailors, support asinine ideas like student loan forgiveness, and don't understand that they've damaged Black communities with their pathetic attempts at "helping them".
This Supreme Court decision is coming at a time where republican led states are making it harder (trending toward impossible) for women to obtain an abortion, so it's kind of all being rolled up into one movement.

If the Supreme Court had made this decision in an era where abortion rights weren't being severely curtailed by many states, it wouldn't have the same public perception.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:47 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-abortion-leak

FROM THE ABOVE, my italics:

"Democrats spy a silver lining in the loss of federally guaranteed abortion rights, predicting that a Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade could galvanize voter support for their party and prevent a looming midterm elections disaster.

"Bracing for a fall rebuke over rising inflation and dissatisfaction with President Joe Biden, Democratic strategists say a Supreme Court ruling that shifts abortion rights to the discretion of the states would alter the 2022 debate and energize a dispirited liberal base."
[end quote]

Yep. That is what I predicted yesterday and what I fear more than almost anything else, politically speaking. Snatching defeat from the jaws of almost certain victory, that would possibly result in six more years of liberal insanity.
IMO no better way to get women, liberals and Democrats out to the polls and vote.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:47 AM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Lots of liberals own guns. Even Bernie, as radical as people claim he is, had proposed the same laws Minnesota already had but stopping the person to person sales. That could have meant that a person was able to access records when they sold a gun and would be responsible for doing so. My husband has never sold one of his guns without doing the paperwork but he's seen deals go down in a parking lot of a gun show where that wasn't the case.
I agree lots of liberals own guns. But it is the left clamoring for more restrictions on guns. When the Texas law was passed there was all sorts of chatter regarding gun laws and doing a similar thing. I peruse all types of media directly. I don't wait for Tucker to tell me what the left is saying. I hear the left and right directly.

They obviously cannot ban guns but they can regulate the process tighter or pass laws that heavily fine or tax firearm manufacturers to the point they get put out of business. Same for gun shops. Hillary Clinton proposed this sort of thing in 2016. Believe me they are working on this. Now its revenge.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Roe v Wade isn't about abortion. Try to keep up. Hint: 10th Amendment. Read it. Learn it. Love it.
I can't imagine how you can say that, when Roe sued for the right to an abortion, and won. Although of course, by that time, her pregnancy had been over for quite some time.

Until that supreme court ruling, abortion on demand in the US was illegal.

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
SCOTUS does not create laws.

Show me where in the constitution it defines when a fetus is considered a child.

If the left and general population are all overwhelmingly supportive of late term abortions then send it through as amendment.

This topic is NOT binary like it keeps getting explained as. It vastly shifts depending on the number of weeks. 8 weeks? Yes majority say it’s fine. 20 weeks? Shifts completely opposite.
Legally speaking, YES, a fetus IS a real and separate life...(the fetal homicide laws) and also the fact that if someone kills a pregnant woman, there are 2 counts of murder imposed, (a murder charge can ONLY be imposed when a real life is taken), it cannot be both or either or, a fetus is or isnt a life, and legally, since they can and do impose murder charges over a fetus, it is a real and separate life.

And if you notice, the time a woman has been pregnant plays no part in whether a murder charge is imposed for her unborn child, even if its determined she was very early into her pregnancy, a 2nd murder charge is STILL imposed.

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It won't affect the mid terms whatsoever regardless of the outcome. Democrats will still be Democrats and Republicans will still be Republican voters. There are far more pressing issues in this country than the abortion one.
Exactly. And I think there are too many that assume that all Democrats are pro choice and all Republicans are pro life.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:49 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
The best part for me is that this was the defining thing of the baby boomers. And as they lose their grip on power, they get to see it all crumble.

It is great watching them know that every single thing they worked their whole lives to have will be reversed by subsequent generations.

If you watch history that is the way it always goes.
Yep. As the Gen Zs will find out when the Millenials do the same to them. But even worse given they are the most socially liberal generation ever.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What a weak move on the SCOTUS! LOL

Basically they refused to make a decision at the federal level. Leaving it up to the states is just keeping the abortion war raging for years to come. SCOTUS should have made a decision either way, and this would have ended the whole thing for good, because we would have a federal level solution.

I think the states should all send it right back to SCOTUS and demand they rule on it, (not avoid offending anyone).

Now, we are going to have people in all states, fighting with each other over this, its just like the Marijuana issue, the Federal govt refuses to make changes. so just like abortion, it rages on too.
The federal government does not have the authority to enact abortion laws. Period. It's no more complex than that. Roe v Wade is a blatant violation of the 10th Amendment and anyone who thinks Roe V Wade is OK is effectively saying the Constitution and Bill Of Rights should be ignored based on the whims of the general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies