Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2022, 12:03 PM

89,511 posts, read 45,185,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I would disagree. Virtually every poll taken addressing abortion rights indicates Americans want Roe to be maintained as Law. Those same polls absolutely do show Americans do differ over when (26 weeks vs. 13 weeks) abortion should be allowed, if parental consent for minors should be required, etc. But it is absolutely clear that most Americans want women to maintain their right to secure an abortion legally.
When it comes to abortion for convenience, that breakdown is:

48% keep it legal
45% make it illegal

That's pretty evenly split and why big corporations aren't saying a word. They're all learning from Disney's mistake.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:06 PM

7,419 posts, read 2,725,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
WTH are you talking about?

People are either for or against abortion. That's a true statement.

If someone says "I am 'pro choice'" it means that they are PRO ABORTION.

Because everyone agrees with motherhood, abstinence, birth control and adoption, correct? I agree with all of those but I can never be "pro choice" because I am against abortion.

Abortion is the issue. Not "choice." And the fact that peel HIDE behind "pro choice" shows that they know abortion is wrong.
No, Newt, yours is not a true statement. That is your intractable and obstinate opinion; perhaps one born out of your personal religious belief, but that does not make it "TRUTH" And your self-proclaimed omniscience & authoritarian tone certainly does not reflect the complexity of how most people actually think and feel about abortion. And the issue is reproductive healthcare & access to it and a woman's right to privacy.

Instead of claiming superiority over the issue of reproductive rights you might consider respecting the real-life decisions people and their families face every day. The majority of Americans are able to do so as they support the right to access abortion.

Generally, people who identify as pro-reproductive rights believe that everyone has the basic human right to decide when and whether to have children. When one says they are pro-choice/pro-reproductive rights they are telling people that they believe it’s OK for others to have the ability to access abortion as an option for an unplanned pregnancy — even if they wouldn’t choose abortion for themselves.

When folks say they support reproductive rights, that means they support laws that allow people to access the full range of reproductive health care — including safe, legal abortion.
Pro-reproductive rights people oppose laws that ban abortion, as well as laws that keep abortion out of reach — like laws that shut down health centers or that force patients to jump through hoops to get the medical care they need.
Most pro-reproductive rights people also support access to birth control, sex education, care at Planned Parenthood health centers, and other forms of sexual and reproductive health care.

Decisions about whether to choose adoption, end a pregnancy, or continue a pregnancy should be made by a pregnant person with the counsel of her family, her faith, and her health care provider. Politicians should not be involved in anyone’s personal medical decisions about their reproductive health or pregnancy. Nor should the anti-abortion crusaders and religious zealots who arrogantly attempt to dictate their--- "in the minority"--- beliefs that would make abortion inaccessible or illegal and which subjugate women.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 05-08-2022 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction...oops. thanks to the poster who corrected me :)

Old 05-08-2022, 12:06 PM

38,559 posts, read 22,429,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
WTH are you talking about?

People are either for or against abortion. That's a true statement.

If someone says "I am 'pro choice'" it means that they are PRO ABORTION.

Because everyone agrees with motherhood, abstinence, birth control and adoption, correct? I agree with all of those but I can never be "pro choice" because I am against abortion.

Abortion is the issue. Not "choice." And the fact that peel HIDE behind "pro choice" shows that they know abortion is wrong.
Most people are only opposed to elective abortions of a healthy fetus by a healthy mother after a specific number of weeks. So no, people are not all strictly for or against it. Then of course there are allowances for abortion with regards to the exceptions of the rule, such as when rape or incest are involved. So once again, people are not simply for or against.

Last edited by Wapasha; 05-08-2022 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-08-2022, 12:08 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,955,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You''re just wrong.

Here's a list of states with phrases that describe their limitations. Not the number that say "ban" vs. something like 6 week ban.

There are states that ban abortion, pending overturn of Roe.

https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2...h-ones-and-why
This is an activist court, ready, willing & enabled to rule from the bench & to do so in opposition to the individual rights promised by the Constitution. Justice Alito wrote this:
“We emphasize that our decision concerns the constitutional right to abortion and no other right. Nothing in this opinion should be understood to cast doubt on precedents that do not concern abortion.”
Color me skeptical.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I am glad you realize there is a difference between a states’ Supreme Court & the Supreme Court of the United States

As per your link:
To date, the United States Supreme Court has declined to hear cases that raise questions about the constitutionality of such laws.
There is a reason why they declined to hear those cases, the reason being that the Constitution promised that a realm of personal liberty which the government may not enter was made on June 21, 1788.
Um... That would be a reason FOR SCOTUS to take the case. They take up cases in which a pretty strong case can be made that Constitutional Rights have been violated. See Knick v. Township of Scott.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:09 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 7 days ago)

35,939 posts, read 18,238,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This is an activist court, ready, willing & enabled to rule from the bench & to do so in opposition to the individual rights promised by the Constitution. Justice Alito wrote this:
“We emphasize that our decision concerns the constitutional right to abortion and no other right. Nothing in this opinion should be understood to cast doubt on precedents that do not concern abortion.”
Color me skeptical.
Exactly. Once the court door comes open, all the hard won rights of previously disenfranchised people will spill out into the streets.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
When does life begin? It might depend on your faith.

https://theworld.org/stories/2019-05...end-your-faith
I agree, although it’s worth noting the Constitution of the United States is not a religious document.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:12 PM

1,488 posts, read 700,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Hey folks, FYI, it’s called a “fetus,” not a “baby.”
Not if you intend to keep it. If this is a wanted pregnancy it is called a baby immediately. No one throws a shower for a fetus. No one names their fetus. No one asks to see the ultrasound of the fetus.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There are no states that ban firearms, that's true. But that's completely off-topic.
It's exactly the same thing. States can regulate rights as they see fit. Once Roe is overturned (as it should be due to its extremely faulty legal premise which even RBG acknowledged), the authority to regulate abortion is ceded to the states, exactly as is the authority to regulate 2nd Amendment Rights.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Um... That would be a reason FOR SCOTUS to take the case. They take up cases in which a pretty strong case can be made that Constitutional Rights have been violated. See Knick v. Township of Scott.
Your libertaryan ‘slip is showing’

The legal questions in Knick v. Township of Scott were:
  • Should the Court affirm or abrogate its holding in Williamson County Regional Planning Commission v. Hamilton Bank, which requires property owners to exhaust state court remedies before bringing federal Takings Clause claims?
  • Does the ripeness doctrine established in Williamson County apply to takings claims that assert that a law is unconstitutional on its face?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies