Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2022, 10:09 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,372,592 times

Advertisements

Some kind of made up foolishness.

How bout ..

Chowder Culture
Craw-fish Culture
Etouffee Elitist
Livermush Liberals
She-Crab Shysters
Hoppn John Hipsters
Lutefisk Looters

They all make about as much sense.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:01 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,105,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It would up to you to actually trace evidences of what I called deep culture to African roots, rather than merely assert it. If ADOS don't actually think like Africans, if we don't share the inner world view of Africans, have the same concepts of honor, justice, good, and evil--and we certainly don't--then we don't actually share African culture. We can ask African immigrants if ADOS people are like them, and they will say, "No."]
The assertion is that those enslaved africans (Ewe, Akan, Yoruba, Bakongo, Ndongo, Mandika,etc) come from multiple perspective of "deep culture" back then & now. Therefore it can't be a singular african "deep culture" to descend into Afram "deep culture". Afram culture of that time frame gradually assimilated elements into one ( spirituality practices, extended kinship, etc).
Present day is completely different from the 17th-18th century & we have our own experience that shape our current " deep culture". The viewpoint from the current day African diaspora is that we're another tribe per say from my experience. All skinfolk aren't kinfolk.

/Afram culture have carry values of independence, resilience, spirituality, & ingenuity since the foundation of the united states.

What we're seemingly speaking on today's caricature culture is moreso rooted in the ghetto.
That "caricature culture" is a slave culture that was inculcated into us for 300 years, and then continually enforced by Jim Crow for another century. And, yes, it is a caricature of a culture. A real culture will self-sustain its people beneficently, which this one does not.

It's a sinking boat. The questions we're getting to now are:

Can we fix this boat?

Or should we abandon it for a boat that floats?

If so, which one--an expedient boat that is immediately available or an idyllic boat that we aspire to build ourselves?

And how do we encourage ADOS people to climb into that boat?[/quote]

African slavery was transferred over here moreso than inculcated since many lived with it back on the continent & 1619 to 1865 isn't 300 years. There's around 2-3 generations gap between post slavery & great migration while Jim Crow is active. These modern day caricature culture beginnings is there & acknowledged early by W.E.B Du Bois in his Philadelphia research paper.

At this point why get on any boat when you have solid ground? Let people walk their path & understand that everybody have caricatures that isn't representative of the masses. Lupe Fiasco made a statement that resonated spot on to paraphrase: Focus on the ones that want to be bettor/successful honestly out of the underclass. Let the rest work themselves out .

Old 05-21-2022, 03:17 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Black folks can be a little too self conscious about their low brow cousins. I guess housing discrimination forced us all to live together. I remember when a new development was built and all the upper-class black folk moved into newer homes. Those of us whose parents stayed in the poor part of town became social workers, preachers and educators and the upper class black folk's kids went into business and sales and never looked back. I don't think white people feel the same about their low brow cousins. They have never been forced to live among them and have never had to go to school with them or even see them at the store.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:46 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Black folks can be a little too self conscious about their low brow cousins. I guess housing discrimination forced us all to live together. I remember when a new development was built and all the upper-class black folk moved into newer homes. Those of us whose parents stayed in the poor part of town became social workers, preachers and educators and the upper class black folk's kids went into business and sales and never looked back. I don't think white people feel the same about their low brow cousins. They have never been forced to live among them and have never had to go to school with them or even see them at the store.
I don’t know if I fully agree with this. I grew up in a pretty good area and went to school will pretty well off black kids. Yes, we were only about 7% of the school. I had a good friend whom both of his parents were doctors. My other friend, his dad owned a very very successful business. A lot of my black friends grew up like this. However, not all of us put the use the great opportunities we had as kids. Some now are in jail. These are kids that had a darn good head start in life.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I don’t know if I fully agree with this. I grew up in a pretty good area and went to school will pretty well off black kids. Yes, we were only about 7% of the school. I had a good friend whom both of his parents were doctors. My other friend, his dad owned a very very successful business. A lot of my black friends grew up like this. However, not all of us put the use the great opportunities we had as kids. Some now are in jail. These are kids that had a darn good head start in life.
I think what made a difference is when the upper-class blacks came home to upper-class black neighborhoods. Some of these guys I see on facebook. Its funny because three of them always post pics and videos of them doing the same thing, sitting around an eclectic group of retired business men smoking cigars and drinking something very expensive.

I think the guys and gals who joined the military did well also. In my generation some of them could spend almost twenty years in relative peacetime. It gave minorities an "American experience" one that makes them feel they are a part of their country and not separate from it. When people's experience is different they feel its okay to live by their own set of rules.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:17 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think what made a difference is when the upper-class blacks came home to upper-class black neighborhoods. Some of these guys I see on facebook. Its funny because three of them always post pics and videos of them doing the same thing, sitting around an eclectic group of retired business men smoking cigars and drinking something very expensive.

I think the guys and gals who joined the military did well also. In my generation some of them could spend almost twenty years in relative peacetime. It gave minorities an "American experience" one that makes them feel they are a part of their country and not separate from it. When people's experience is different they feel its okay to live by their own set of rules.
I wish more teenagers would join the military to develop a sense of dignity and responsibility. As a teacher in California, I recruited and sponsored dozens of young men to attend the Marine Corps summer program called Devil Pups. It was similar to basic training and gave the boys a vigorous workout for 10 days.

When I took boys to the recruiting office, they would get a briefing on what to expect. Most Hispanic and Asian boys followed through and attended. I never got a single black boy to go. Once they heard that it was going to be highly structured and physically challenging, they dropped out. Surprising since they would drill endlessly for basketball and football.

I see that girls are now permitted as well!

Rules for attending: https://devilpups.com/

ALL PROSPECTIVE PUPS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED IF THEY:

ARE GANG MEMBERS
ARE MARRIED
HAVE CHILDREN
HAVE ASTHMA
TAKE MEDICATION
ARE PREGNANT
HAVE ANY HISTORY OF “CUTTING,” “BURNING,” OR OTHER SIGNS OF SELF-MUTILATION.
HAVE ANY ARREST CONVICTIONS
HAVE GANG TATTOOS
HAVE VISIBLE TATTOOS, SPECIFICALLY FACIAL OR NECK TATTOOS
HAVE PIERCINGS (tongue, face, belly button, etc. – all jewelry must be removed) You are automatically disqualified if you have “gaged” ears, aka “plugs”. These are safety hazards and will not be permitted at any time during the encampment.
SMOKE OR TAKE DRUGS. THERE IS NO SMOKING OR DRUG USAGE ALLOWED.

The boy went to Camp Pendleton near San Diego. They also got to go on an aircraft carrier during their stay and had an elaborate graduation at the end, attended by families. Many joined the military after high school and learned how to succeed.

Hawaii has a similar program called Youth Challenge for struggling boys.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:45 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I wish more teenagers would join the military to develop a sense of dignity and responsibility. As a teacher in California, I recruited and sponsored dozens of young men to attend the Marine Corps summer program called Devil Pups. It was similar to basic training and gave the boys a vigorous workout for 10 days.

When I took boys to the recruiting office, they would get a briefing on what to expect. Most Hispanic and Asian boys followed through and attended. I never got a single black boy to go. Once they heard that it was going to be highly structured and physically challenging, they dropped out. Surprising since they would drill endlessly for basketball and football.

I see that girls are now permitted as well!

Rules for attending: https://devilpups.com/

ALL PROSPECTIVE PUPS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED IF THEY:

ARE GANG MEMBERS
ARE MARRIED
HAVE CHILDREN
HAVE ASTHMA
TAKE MEDICATION
ARE PREGNANT
HAVE ANY HISTORY OF “CUTTING,” “BURNING,” OR OTHER SIGNS OF SELF-MUTILATION.
HAVE ANY ARREST CONVICTIONS
HAVE GANG TATTOOS
HAVE VISIBLE TATTOOS, SPECIFICALLY FACIAL OR NECK TATTOOS
HAVE PIERCINGS (tongue, face, belly button, etc. – all jewelry must be removed) You are automatically disqualified if you have “gaged” ears, aka “plugs”. These are safety hazards and will not be permitted at any time during the encampment.
SMOKE OR TAKE DRUGS. THERE IS NO SMOKING OR DRUG USAGE ALLOWED.

The boy went to Camp Pendleton near San Diego. They also got to go on an aircraft carrier during their stay and had an elaborate graduation at the end, attended by families. Many joined the military after high school and learned how to succeed.

Hawaii has a similar program called Youth Challenge for struggling boys.
I worked with several other military retirees in a military-oriented youth group in central Illinois for several years. We had plenty of working-class white kids involved, and one second-generation Chinese kid.

Funny story about the Chinese kid. When we first took him out on a camping trip, the second or third week after he joined, he called his father and begged to go home. His father drove out to the camp site, chewed him out in Chinese, told him to stick it out in English (I guess for our benefit), and then left him with us. But he later grew to be our senior youth leader.

After the Afghanistan War began, we got fewer and fewer white kids...but the Latino parents filled in the gap, and we began getting more and more Latino kids, some of whom didn't even speak English. It took me a second to figure it out...we were giving their kids a concentrated course in how to be American.

But I couldn't get any black parents to send their kids on a bet.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
I worked with several other military retirees in a military-oriented youth group in central Illinois for several years. We had plenty of working-class white kids involved, and one second-generation Chinese kid.

Funny story about the Chinese kid. When we first took him out on a camping trip, the second or third week after he joined, he called his father and begged to go home. His father drove out to the camp site, chewed him out in Chinese, told him to stick it out in English (I guess for our benefit), and then left him with us. But he later grew to be our senior youth leader.

After the Afghanistan War began, we got fewer and fewer white kids...but the Latino parents filled in the gap, and we began getting more and more Latino kids, some of whom didn't even speak English. It took me a second to figure it out...we were giving their kids a concentrated course in how to be American.

A selling point with many Hispanic non-citizen kids is that they can fast-track to citizenship with military service.

Hawaii sends more than its share to the military. It's considered an honorable thing to do. I let recruiters come speak to my students here, every year. They often bring former students who are known to the current crop of graduating Seniors.

Last week, the Marines brought a pull-up bar which attracted a huge crowd and friendly competition. The Navy brought free pencils & post-it notes and got ignored.

BTW: Why do you think black parents wouldn't participate? It seems like the value would be evident.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:38 PM

Black children need to be reached sometime before middle school to stop the cycle of social problems. Thug life already starts to groom them in middle school. Something akin to Jack and Jill Inc. should be available to low income black children. Their parents are too young themselves and are absent in many cases.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:52 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:

I never got involved in any volunteer work involving youths as an adult. Growing up, the closest I remember to any military-oriented youth group was ROTC, and that was for high school. I knew a few Black kids who were involved in it.

The father of that Chinese kid exercised some tough love. Looks like it worked. And those Latino parents obviously wanted their kids to be as American as possible.

As for why there weren't many Black parents doing that for their kids, well, I don't know why. I don't have any answers because of my lack of volunteer work involving kids (I've done a bit of work with Meals on Wheels, and some volunteer work restoring a hiking trail). A church I belonged to as a kid, I was part of a youth group. I will mention this. Other than church, my parents were very nervous about leaving their kids with most adults outside of the family overnight (not unless said adult could be trusted). I don't think my parents (especially my father) would have been big on letting their kids go on such an overnight camping trip, not unless the adults were vetted. Maybe if I was a teenager (like age 16/17).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies