Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 07:19 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I don't think white people feel the same about their low brow cousins.
Oh, yes they do, too. City-fied white folk are physically terrified of their low-brow cousins. They just don't have media telling them they should continue to act like their low brow cousins.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:14 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Oh, yes they do, too. City-fied white folk are physically terrified of their low-brow cousins. They just don't have media telling them they should continue to act like their low brow cousins.
White people are encouraged to criticize their underclass cousins. Middle upper class Whites don't get called race traitors for it. The only persons in the White population who use that term "race traitor" are White supremacist types.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:26 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Black children need to be reached sometime before middle school to stop the cycle of social problems. Thug life already starts to groom them in middle school. Something akin to Jack and Jill Inc. should be available to low income black children. Their parents are too young themselves and are absent in many cases.
Heck... "grandma" could still be in her upper 30s running around to bars every weekend

Old 05-23-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Heck... "grandma" could still be in her upper 30s running around to bars every weekend
And competing for the same men as her daughter.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
And competing for the same men as her daughter.
You could also find that among some of the White underclass types. In fact, this has happened.

In some cases, daughter gets kicked out because mother doesn't she thinks her new man will want daughter and not her.

Last edited by green_mariner; 05-23-2022 at 10:25 AM..

Old 05-23-2022, 10:25 AM

The Exodusters are a part of history that I'm proud of. Black Americans fleeing from the plantation culture and going west. Black people building towns like Nicodemus,KS;Deerfield, CO; DeWitty,NE; Langston,OK;Boley, OK. I don't have family that was part of it. However, I think about this. I dare someone to claim that we can't build anything. I think about what it took to take up roots and go elsewhere, with the dream of doing better. I don't remember a teacher bringing this up in classes. It was mentioned in my high school history textbook in 2002-2003. However, I think it should have been mentioned more. I hardly ever heard of Black people being pioneers. The Exodusters, this is about Black people rising out and away from the dysfunctional culture they were left with in the aftermath of the Civil War.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Exodusters are a part of history that I'm proud of. Black Americans fleeing from the plantation culture and going west. Black people building towns like Nicodemus,KS;Deerfield, CO; DeWitty,NE; Langston,OK;Boley, OK. I don't have family that was part of it. However, I think about this. I dare someone to claim that we can't build anything. I think about what it took to take up roots and go elsewhere, with the dream of doing better. I don't remember a teacher bringing this up in classes. It was mentioned in my high school history textbook in 2002-2003. However, I think it should have been mentioned more. I hardly ever heard of Black people being pioneers. The Exodusters, this is about Black people rising out and away from the dysfunctional culture they were left with in the aftermath of the Civil War.
I went to junior high and high school in Oklahoma, and despite being surrounded by towns settled by Exodusters, not a word was said about them in the mandated public school Oklahoma history classes. Let me emphasize: The state had mandated the teaching of Oklahoma history, and even though black settlements and black economic power was more significant in Oklahoma than almost any other territory, it was completely omitted in the curriculum.

But that was half a century ago. I'll have to check to see if that's still the case. Considering current Oklahoma politics, it might have been better 20 years ago and then gotten worse since.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You could also find that among some of the White underclass types. In fact, this has happened.

In some cases, daughter gets kicked out because mother doesn't she thinks her new man will want daughter and not her.
My daughter brought up a consideration that I hesitate to ponder...but I can't rule it out.

We're all familiar with stories and stereotypes of inbreeding among "hillbilly" whites. Everybody has seen or heard about "Deliverance."

But a lot of people living in urban inner cities don't move more than a few blocks in their entire lives, the "baby mama/baby daddy" culture is pretty casual about lineage recordkeeping, and those generations are often pretty short (maybe 12-18 years).

Old 05-23-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I went to junior high and high school in Oklahoma, and despite being surrounded by towns settled by Exodusters, not a word was said about them in the mandated public school Oklahoma history classes. Let me emphasize: The state had mandated the teaching of Oklahoma history, and even though black settlements and black economic power was more significant in Oklahoma than almost any other territory, it was completely omitted in the curriculum.

But that was half a century ago. I'll have to check to see if that's still the case. Considering current Oklahoma politics, it might have been better 20 years ago and then gotten worse since.
It's probably no surprise that you didn't hear about it. I suspect this was one of those things that wasn't going to get taught. I went to middle school and high school in Georgia, and I would most certainly not hear about it. However, by not being taught about it, I feel like I was cheated out of something.

You mentioned that this was half a century ago. I suspect this was the early 1970s. I have to consider that there was a mindset of wanting to exclude Blacks from Oklahoma's history.

Black students need to be taught that they can be so much more than what pop culture is pushing. Black pioneers

As a kid I got into the Old West stuff, in particular, cowboys. From elementary school to high school, there was next to nothing about Black cowboys. While it was certainly not required to teach that for Georgia's curriculum, I went into my teenage years not knowing anything about Black cowboys. I found out about that reading a book from the library. My father and we would sometimes watch bull riding growing up. When it came to PBR, I never saw any Black bull riders on TV. Years later, I watched a channel known as TVOne. There was a rodeo being shown. Cowboys of Color. I was so flipped out. It was a shock for me to see Black men riding horses on bulls on TV, being in a rodeo. And this was in the early 2000s.

I would much rather ride a horse on the trail than be in a Jay-Z video. But as a teenager, the image in pop culture was that of a Black teenage boy being expected to be a rapper or a baller. I almost bought into it. Thankfully, my father subtlety read the riot act. He also gave the story about where pants sagging came from.

I feel like Black students, especially boys, are getting cheated out of things they should know. There is a much better chance of the average Black boy becoming a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or architect than an athlete or rapper. And there are so many more things that Black Americans have done, than what we were taught in school.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:12 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,104,077 times
Quote:
Just a casual reminder that pioneers,architects,engineers, & inventors culture existed throughout that post plantation culture. Horace King builded a bridge in my hometown that still stands today. Plus numerous of settlements that was created & businesses too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies