Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 02:10 PM

1,811 posts, read 917,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Zealots in any religion on the Supreme Court are dangerous because they can't be reasoned with.

https://www.aol.com/news/poll-confid...122402180.html
Why would anyone trust a Yahoo poll? Or any poll for that matter? They are all biased.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:22 PM

89,473 posts, read 45,156,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
That was from memory. I'm sorry. Also, I believe that a life is not a life until viable.
I don't have an agenda. I'm not a leftist fanatic. I'm a pro-choice 17 year old from Iowa. Stop trying to make me something I'm not.

If you want people to believe your thoughts, I suggest not constantly attacking anyone who has a disagreement with you. I'm trying to have a civil discussion.
Simple fix to the entire dispute, especially since there is so much claimed support for abortion rights: Get a Constitutional Amendment ratified that guarantees the right to abortion. There are 27 Constitutional Amendments. This could be the 28th. So where's the problem?

Old 05-10-2022, 02:41 PM

104 posts, read 47,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Simple fix to the entire dispute, especially since there is so much claimed support for abortion rights: Get a Constitutional Amendment ratified that guarantees the right to abortion. There are 27 Constitutional Amendments. This could be the 28th. So where's the problem?
People don't vote, and there's not enough support in Congress, which can't perfectly represent public opinion.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:56 PM

89,473 posts, read 45,156,209 times
Quote:
People don't vote, and there's not enough support in Congress, which can't perfectly represent public opinion.
Are you saying there's an inadequate amount of support to make abortion rights Constitutional? How can that be when we've been told over and over again that Americans overwhelmingly support a woman's right to abort?

Old 05-10-2022, 03:05 PM

7,186 posts, read 4,774,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
We have always had conservatives on the court. These "conservative" people are incompetent and partisan. Their oath, like Trump's, was a charade.

Is that right. Please provide an example of one conservative SCJ displaying incompetence.

I'll provide an example of uber incompetence for you, though, from Sotomayer, ultra liberal.

"We have over 100,000 children, which we've never had before, in serious condition, and many on ventilators."

Old 05-10-2022, 03:11 PM

63,284 posts, read 29,374,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
The poll that they are comparing it with was from 2020, and the Conservatives have had the majority for much longer than that.

Perhaps people have lost confidence in the court recently because the latest Justice appointed to the court can't tell you what a woman is...because she isn't a biologist.

Perhaps they lost confidence because "someone" decided to leak a draft opinion of one of the justices.

Maybe they lost confidence because they are fearful that some could be swayed by having people illegally protest in front of their residences for the sole purpose of harassment and intimidation to get them to decide the way they want.
And how about the leftist SC Judge Sotomayer's remarks? "I would hope that a wise Latina woman, with the richness of her experiences, would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

No impartiality there though, right?

Neither she nor the latest black, female (picked for those reasons) leftist SC Judges belong there.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:18 PM

27,290 posts, read 15,440,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I believe it. The majority on the court has decided it's a one-issue body, and that issue will be dealt with at all costs. Doesn't exactly instill confidence in its ability to uphold the law of the land.
They have been upholding Law fairly well.
I am glad they are not attempting to write it or make it up out of thin air such as Roe vs Wade was.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:19 PM

104 posts, read 47,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you saying there's an inadequate amount of support to make abortion rights Constitutional? How can that be when we've been told over and over again that Americans overwhelmingly support a woman's right to abort?
Because there's not. There's a majority of people who do, but it is not overwhelming enough to pass an amendment.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:21 PM

10,683 posts, read 7,180,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And how about the leftist SC Judge Sotomayer's remarks? "I would hope that a wise Latina woman, with the richness of her experiences, would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

No impartiality there though, right?

Neither she nor the latest black, female (picked for those reasons) leftist SC Judges belong there.
You're right, the wise latina and black woman are there because of their skin color and not their achievements. Both are filling up spaces of people who should have the title.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:23 PM

63,284 posts, read 29,374,158 times
Quote:
and while that is a good point, I just feel like it hurts no matter what, because the court is taking away rights, and it feels like a political decision, because I can't see the legal argument here on not protecting a woman and her right to choose.
The legal argument comes from our laws which is murder is against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies