Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2022, 08:40 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's a human being from the time it's conceived.
Can it survive outside the womb at conception? Nope...therefore it's not a human yet...it's a collection of cells.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:42 AM

3,412 posts, read 1,446,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
We have always had conservatives on the court. These "conservative" people are incompetent and partisan. Their oath, like Trump's, was a charade.
Do you have any idea how one determines the meaning of our constitution? What makes a Supreme Court opinion legitimate is when it is in harmony with the text of our Constitution and its documented legislative intent which gives context to its text.

JWK

Old 05-11-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The court will not flip anytime soon. Too many recent appointees are young enough to be there for decades. We will have an unbalanced Court for well beyond some of our lifetimes.

Back when the court was more respected, it was more balanced between conservatives and progressives, usually with one or two justices who might vary in their opinions depending on the issue.
This is why I feel the Dems should have packed the court...to right the wrong of the Trump Admin. Add 4 seats to it. There are 13 appellate courts anyway so should have 13 SCOTUS seats.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:47 AM

89,047 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
We can thank Susan Collins for this...she held the decisive vote to allow the rapist Kavanaugh on the court...we all knew he was lying about his commitment to precedent...she should have seen that and done the right thing instead of bowing to her party masters...
There has never been a commitment to precedent on SCOTUS. Though there is the concept of stare decisis, that doesn't mean SCOTUS rulings are iron clad and untouchable. SCOTUS has in fact overturned its own prior rulings more than 300 times. More than 300 times.

Some of my favorites have been...

Dred Scott overturned
Plessy overturned
Williamson County overturned (just recently, 2019)
And now Roe/Casey overturned (pending)

Overturning ALL of the above strengthened Constitutional Rights.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Confidence has Collapsed? That all depends on which side of the fence you fall on.

When Trump had 3 picks for the Supreme Court I thought it was going to be his greatest legacy because he would bring balance back to the Court.

It is like Elon Musk buying Twitter, not to push it to the Right but to balance it out for Free Speech and dare I use a Liberal Buzz word... Equality..

Maybe it is just me but why do the supposed Lefty judges rule in lock step with the latest Democrat scheme whereas the supposed Right leaning judges actually do their jobs?
Except for John Roberts, the right leaning judges all vote in lock step every time. Roberts is the only one that occasionally breaks away.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:54 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What are the Democrats doing to address illegal immigration except to promise virtual open borders and amnesty? At least Trump did something about it via the wall and other policies he put in place to secure our border from them. You mentioned this off topic issue so I'm merely correcting you on it.

What are the Democrats doing about all the other problems you mentioned under a Democrat president? Biden created most of those problems. The Democrats complain about everything and now they are complaining about the abortion issue. What is the Democrats platform for 2024?
I asked the question what are the republicans doing other than complaining.

But I will tell you what they didn't do, install a justice to overturn precedent on a particular issue. A president specifically picking a justice to change a specific law is outrageous but with his administration it's the status quo, none of this should be considered as normal.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:56 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,852,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Except for John Roberts, the right leaning judges all vote in lock step every time. Roberts is the only one that occasionally breaks away.
You could not be more wrong. The Conservative-appointed Justices regularly side with the liberal-appointed Justices. The inverse rarely happens.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:58 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,852,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Republicans cannot do anything, as they are not in charge...

Quote:
But I will tell you what they didn't do, install a justice to overturn precedent on a particular issue. A president specifically picking a justice to change a specific law is outrageous but with his administration it's the status quo, none of this should be considered as normal.
So, I guess you would not have supported overturning Plessy vs Ferguson, right?

And, what Justice was appointed to overturn a particular issue?

Old 05-11-2022, 09:00 AM

89,047 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:

Overturning Roe doesn't change any federal law. There is no federal statute regarding abortion. Congressional Democrats are trying to pass an abortion bill but they don't have enough votes to pass it.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:05 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
You could not be more wrong. The Conservative-appointed Justices regularly side with the liberal-appointed Justices. The inverse rarely happens.
Certainly not on the high profile cases like marriage equality, Citizens United, Voting Rights Act. Other than the ACA Alito, Thomas rarely side with the minority. Many 5-4 cases with Roberts being the deciding vote, there are cases and then there are important cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.