Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 01:01 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
I disagree. The court is not supposed to be in lock-step with public opinion.
It's not. It's supposed to be in lock-step, pretty much, with the Constitution.

The Const was designed to give the Fed govt its powers. And any power not specifically assigned to the Fed govt, was FORBIDDEN to the Fed, but could be exercised by "the States, and the People". That was assumed for the Constitution's first few years, then engraved in stone when the Bill of Rights was added, with a 10th amendment that said exactly that.

There is no "right to abortion" listed anywhere in the Constitution (except the extent to which the Right to Life takes it in, a right which would then FORBID any govt from approving abortion, but that's another argument for another time). But the Fed is certainly forbidden to make any laws that govern or restrict abortion. Only "the States and the People" can do that.

When the Supremes decided the Roe case, they violated the Constitution, which forbade them to make any law about abortion. They took this lawmaking power away from "the States and the People", and handed down Orders from Above on the issue of abortion that nobody could debate, argue, or vote on (for or against).

The leaked "Draft Opinion" that came out last week, undoes that violation of the Constitution. It releases the issue to be regulated by "the States and the People" once again, as the Constitution has always required. Justice Alito flatly stated that, more than once, in the Draft Opinion. We seem to have quite a few leftists fanatics screaming against the idea... but who haven't even read it.

The far-left zealots, of course, hate the very idea of the people having any power to make up their own minds and decide for themselves what regulations their states will have on abortion.

I love it when the leftist fanatics come up with silly statements like this one has several times now. It gives normal people yet another opportunity to point out how wrong they are and why, and to explain to other normal people what the Constitution actually says. The far-left fanatics hate that even more, of course.

Gee, that's too bad.

But all they have to do is pass a Constitutional Amendment that officially gives the Fed govt the power it had previously stolen from "the States and the People". Then the Lefitst fanatics will have exactly what they have always wanted.

Why do you suppose they have never done that? Could it be that they haven't a hope in Hell of getting 2/3 of each House and 3/4 of the states (necessary to pass an Amendment) to agree with them? Could their shrill screams that huge majorities agree with them, be completely false? Just more propaganda and lies that they know will never be true?

Last edited by Roboteer; 05-10-2022 at 02:23 PM..

Old 05-10-2022, 01:02 PM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Zealots in any religion on the Supreme Court are dangerous because they can't be reasoned with.

https://www.aol.com/news/poll-confid...122402180.html
Wow, who knew AOL was still around?

Old 05-10-2022, 01:02 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Zealots in any religion on the Supreme Court are dangerous because they can't be reasoned with.

https://www.aol.com/news/poll-confid...122402180.html
Thanks for adding yet another piece of evidence to the growing pile of data which indicates unequivocally that lefties/Dems don't understand the Constitution or the role of SCOTUS. Their lack of confidence in the Supreme Court is nothing more than a temper tantrum because the Court is prioritizing the Constitution over judicial activism. If they had even the slightest awareness of the Constitution, they'd realize that Roe V Wade was un-Constitutional from day 1. It's a national embarrassment that we've put up with it for decades. It has nothing to do with religious zealots or abortion. It has to do with the law. You may wish to take a remedial government course at your local community college.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:32 PM

104 posts, read 46,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

The Const was designed to give the Fed govt its powers. And any power not specifically assigned to the Fed govt, was FORBIDDEN to the Fed, but could be exercised by "the States, and the People". That was assumed for the Constitution's first few years, then engraved in stone when the Bill of Rights was added, with a 10th amendment that said exactly that.

There is no "right to abortion" listed anywhere in the Constitution (except the extent to which the Right to Life takes it in, a right which would then FORBID any govt from approving abortion, but that's another argument for another time). But the Fed is certainly forbidden to make any laws that govern or restrict abortion. Only "the States and the People" can do that.

When the Supremes decided the Roe case, they violated the Constitution, which forbade them to make any law about abortion. They took this lawmaking power away from "the States and the People", and handed down Orders from Above on the issue of abortion that nobody could debate, argue, or vote on (for or against).

The leaked "Draft Opinion" that came out last week, undoes that violation of the Constitution. It releases the issue to be regulated by "the States and the People" once again, as the Constitution has always required. Justice Alito flatly stated that, more than once, in the Draft Opinion. We seem to have quite a few leftists fanatics screaming against the idea... but who haven't even read it.

The far-left zealots, of course, hate the very idea of the people having any power to make up their own minds and decide for themselves what regulations their states will have on abortion.

I love it when the leftist fanatics come up with silly statements like this one has several times now. It gives normal people yeat another opportunity to point out how wrong they are and why, and to explain to other normal people what the Constitution actually says. The far-left fanatics hate that even more, of course.

Gee, that's too bad.

But all they have to do is pass a Constitutional Amendment that officially gives the Fed govt the power it had previously stolen from "the States and the People". Then the Lefitst fanatics will have exactly what they have always wanted.

Why do you suppose they have never done that? Could it be that they haven't a hope in Hell of getting 2/3 of each House and 3/4 of the states (necessary to pass an Amendment) to agree with them? Could their shrill screams that huge majorities agree with them, be completely false? Just more propaganda and lies that they know will never be true?
I've read the draft. I spent an entire day digesting it.

The 14th Amendment states that no state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of the citizens of the US; nor shall any state deprive any person of liberty/property.
The 9th amendment says that the enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Not to mention the fact that this takes away rights, it's also backed by the Constitution.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:52 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
and while that is a good point, I just feel like it hurts no matter what, because the court is taking away rights, and it feels like a political decision, because I can't see the legal argument here on not protecting a woman and her right to choose.
Read pro-abortion RBG's take on it. She knew the 1973 Roe ruling was based on insufficient Constitutional grounds and predicted it would be overturned. She was correct.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm one of those naïve people who though that what the nominees said under oath and their commitment to precedent, law, etc.....was bigger than their political affiliation.

But it is clear that someone like Kavanaugh did most definitely lie under oath to get in and then make changes.

While I understood his personal feelings on Roe vs. Wade were not the same as mine, I thought what he said about the decision and any revisiting that decision to be truth -- especially because I think they have to swear an oath before the nominee questions.

So put me in that group.

I always though the letter of the law would win, it is clear it isn't about the law. I'm not debating the abortion issue here...just talking about what one of the Justices said under oath and what he actually appears to be ready to flip on.
It's about the Constitution. Read the leaked opinion, it states exactly such.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:55 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
The left will never follow the numbers, the stats, the logic, the constitution, or anything else.

They want their abortions and that's that. And they will threaten violence if they feel like it furthers their cause.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:58 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
The 14th Amendment states that no state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of the citizens of the US; nor shall any state deprive any person of liberty/property.
Notice how carefully this leftist fanatics modifies the 14th amendment, carefully cutting out the word "life" from what it says it protects?

He doesn't dare admit that taking a human life (born or unborn) is a grotesque violation of the human's rights. That would blow his whole agenda here, which is to try to fool people into thinking that 14th somehow promotes the deliberate killing of an unborn baby, rather than protecting it as it actually does.

These people cannot further their agenda at all, without lying, faking, and twisting the truth into bizarre shapes and appearances.

Last edited by Roboteer; 05-10-2022 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-10-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:

I love it when the leftist fanatics come up with silly statements like this one has several times now. It gives normal people yeat another opportunity to point out how wrong they are and why, and to explain to other normal people what the Constitution actually says. The far-left fanatics hate that even more, of course.

Gee, that's too bad.

Correct. All they have to do is get a Constitutional Amendment ratified that guarantees the right to abortion. There are 27 Constitutional Amendments. This could be the 28th. So where's the problem?

Old 05-10-2022, 02:10 PM

104 posts, read 46,745 times
Quote:
Notice how carefully this leftist fanatics modifies the 14th amendment, carefully cutting out the work "life" from what it actually says?

He doesn't dare admit that taking a human life is a grotesque violation of the human's rights. That would blow his whole agenda here, which is to try to fool people into thinking that 14th somehow promotes the deliberate killing of an unborn baby, rather than protecting it as it actually does.

These people cannot further their agenda at all, without lying, faking, and twisting the truth into bizarre shapes and appearances.
That was from memory. I'm sorry. Also, I believe that a life is not a life until viable.
I don't have an agenda. I'm not a leftist fanatic. I'm a pro-choice 17 year old from Iowa. Stop trying to make me something I'm not.

If you want people to believe your thoughts, I suggest not constantly attacking anyone who has a disagreement with you. I'm trying to have a civil discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies