Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2022, 01:21 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Even though this was probably meant as tongue in cheek, you are wrong if you think liberals do not respect landmarks and traditions. Come to Massachusetts and see all the historic sites or maybe you should have attended the historic recreation I went to today complete with reading out loud of a proclamation relating to throwing tea overboard and advocating a United States of America. BTW, this was done on the steps of a church built in the 1700s and the day was a celebration of the anniversary of that church. It doesn't have to be a fundamentalist evangelical type church. We have excellent churches but we don't push it onto others.

You think liberals don't care about our history? You are in for a surprise. Come and see the Mayflower II in Plymouth. See the USS Constitution. Visit historic Mystic Seaport in CT. We preserve and revere history.

If something was blatantly put there to make a certain group of people feel inferior, we certainly would debate that though because "all men are created equal."

And we did not appreciate being terrorized on Jan 6th by a bunch of lunatics breaking into our nation's capital. Trump's puppets do not own the country, they do not own our national landmarks and buildings. These things belong to all of us and we all love our country and, incidentally, we did not appreciate a coup d' etat attempt. Criminals need to do jail time and all the rest of us, whatever political party, shouldn't be terrorized.
In the past two years, liberals have:

- Wanted to pack he supreme court
- Wanted to nuke the filibuster in the Senate
- Wanted to lower the voting age
- Wanted to allow illegal aliens to vote
- Wanted to nuke the electoral college
- Removed statues in the Capitol
- Kneel to our flag and wish to remove the National Anthem from sporting events
- Tore down statues all over the country, not only of the confederacy but also of George Washington, US Grant, Abe Lincoln, etc.
- Want to teach that America was actually founded in 1619, not 1776.
- Hate the the 4th of July and consider it xenophobic (and REALLY hated Trump's celebration of it in 2019).
- Feel Thanksgiving and Christmas are "problematic"

Spare us. Own what your party is in 2022. Actions speak MUCH louder than words. Progressives feel this country and its traditions are flawed, and wish to "reset" it to the "proper" way, circa 2022.

Last edited by paracord; 05-22-2022 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 03:24 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Democrats think this will help them politically, but it won’t, not at all. People don’t care about what happened.

Let me put it this way, I care about Jan 6th about as much as Democrats care about my belief that the 2020 election was stolen

What people care about? Poor to lower middle class are angry about inflation, and upper middle class are angry about our investments tanking. The fact that we are all now poorer than we were a year ago is enough to vote the Democrats out of power.

Democrats keep focusing on Jan 6th and it shows everyone just how out of touch they really are.
It's because they want to spin a narrative that Republicans are unAmerican, undemocratic, and taking sides with Russia. All Republicans, not just extremists, are traitors.

It's a crazy narrative, but that's what they are spinning. They think they can get Tucker Carlson arrested, because he criticizes the Ukraine policies. That means he is taking sides with Russia and is a traitor.

Jan. 6 was a planned attempt to overthrow the US government. Even though it was obviously just a bunch of mostly unarmed lunatics, who were for some reason allowed into the building. Don't you think Trump could have done a better job of planning an insurrection, if that's what he wanted?

Old 05-22-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Why? I mean no really. Why? I mean with this we literally have what appears to be a plot to overthrow our government, that eventually led to our capital being attacked. What are you going on about? And what does it have to do with Jan 6th committee? The topic here.
If someone wanted to overthrow the US government, that is not how they would do it! This is beyond silly.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The FBI already stated it was not an InSuRrEcTiOn. You can't overthrow a government without guns. Some of the demonstrators may have behaved poorly, but comparing an unarmed unruly mob to an army trying to take over the government is not just a stretch... It's insulting to the intelligence of any rational thinking, non partisan, non biased adult.

To make your claim, you would also have to ignore the footage of the police allowing the mob to enter. And also you would have to ignore the fact that the only loss of life occurred when a federal agent shot a demonstrator. Nothing about the insurrection claim ever made sense. It was 100% political and outlandish. But they needed to make such a wild allegation in order to establish this committee and make an example of their opposition.
Yeah it's dopey. But probably makes perfect sense to Rachel Maddow fans.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:29 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Yeah, I saw a lot of guys just standing around and now their thrown in prison with no due process, no rights, some in solitary confinement. Is that the United States you want to live in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
1/6 was a 2 hour trespassing event by a few hundred stumblebums, one of which was shot and killed by Capitol police.

Half of them were BS'ing with the security guards and the guards let them in.

This was simply not a big deal, and most of the country cares nothing about it, save for 20% of the country that is extremely left wing partisan.

Protesters SHOULD be going to the place where the politicians are, NOT to city streets and burning down buildings and businesses of innocent private citizens.

This is a non-issue that a small percentage of the population desperately tries to prop up and use as a political tool, and it's going to hurt Democrats for a long time.
The dozens of Capitol police who were injured that day would likely disagree with your versions of events.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You absolutely can overthrow a government without guns. What nonsense.

But hey good news-the 3%'er I think it was brought guns, as did one or two others. I mean if thats your criteria, and not a huge angry mob that brought a noose and had it all setup out front roaming the halls chanting hang mike pence is ok. Thats EXACTLY how governments fall.
Tell us one example of a major power that was overthrown by a crazy mostly unarmed mob.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Tell us one example of a major power that was overthrown by a crazy mostly unarmed mob.
What do you think would have happened, if the politicians were right out there in the public meeting area, when these rioters broke in?

Keep in mind, there were between 2000 - 2500 rioters.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If Republicans are the major party in the house in 23 and especially if in both the house and senate can they stop the 1/6 committee?
The committee seems to have unlimited power to do anything they want. Who or what gives them so much power?
If you're in their sights you seem to have no due process, no rights at all, screw all laws, the constitution.
What gives them so much power—the same Constitution that let the GOP hold hearings on Benghazi for over 18 months w/o one positive outcome

Old 05-22-2022, 04:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You picked a good name…

Old 05-22-2022, 04:53 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
In the past two years, liberals have:

- Wanted to pack he supreme court
- Wanted to nuke the filibuster in the Senate
- Wanted to lower the voting age
- Wanted to allow illegal aliens to vote
- Wanted to nuke the electoral college
- Removed statues in the Capitol
- Kneel to our flag and wish to remove the National Anthem from sporting events
- Tore down statues all over the country, not only of the confederacy but also of George Washington, US Grant, Abe Lincoln, etc.
- Want to teach that America was actually founded in 1619, not 1776.
- Hate the the 4th of July and consider it xenophobic (and REALLY hated Trump's celebration of it in 2019).
- Feel Thanksgiving and Christmas are "problematic"

Spare us. Own what your party is in 2022. Actions speak MUCH louder than words. Progressives feel this country and its traditions are flawed, and wish to "reset" it to the "proper" way, circa 2022.
Generalize? SOME liberals want these things. And SOME Republicans want crazy things too. Not ALL Republicans are against abortion in the first months, for instance.

I don't want to remove the National Anthem from sporting events just because some people do. I would never want statues torn down except maybe a few from the Confederacy that were put up AFTER the Civil Was as a slap in the face to black people.

Teach that America was founded in 1619? Never heard that one before. I'm from MA and I know the Mayflower hadn't even landed in 1619. We threw tea into Boston harbor, Paul Revere rode and warned the British were coming and the shot that was heard around the world was in MA. Revolutionary War BEGAN in MA and we are proud of it--April 19th, 1775 in Concord, MA. Many of our streets are named after Rev. War heroes.

We hate the 4th of July? Oh really? Since when? We fly American flags and have parades on that day so you're getting your "news" from some funny place.

We have absolutely NO problem with Thanksgiving. Same with Christmas and Easter and whatever other holidays you can think of. We LOVE Thanksgiving with family and some people even go to Plymouth MA to celebrate the FIRST Thanksgiving. We have Christmas trees and we give presents. I'd love to know where you are getting your news! Or maybe not.

Believe me, I could make up stories about the Right too, based upon the actions of a few. The insurrection of Jan 6th wasn't just a few though and they flew to DC from all over the country to participate in overthrowing our government, not allowing the election results to be ratified. But even I would not claim that ALL Republicans support this sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies