Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 07:49 AM

35,400 posts, read 17,291,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
You do understand we have 11 categories of work visas, right?

and no, coming to the US illegally and breaking US's law is not consider as a work visa. If you think that's perfectly OK, then we may as well get rid of immigration law and erase our border, because let's face it...whats the point?
That's what many ethnic tribalists want.
You may well expect me to be anti-immigration but I'm mixed. I know that at least some of my ancestors came via train from Montreal around the mid-1890's, after escaping from the Czar's army in Ukraine. I doubt very much that they filled out immigration paperwork at Rouse's Point (the border crossing into New York) or at Grand Central Terminal. The ones that came via ship to Ellis Island were checked for tuberculosis and lice. I do know that in those days, state as well as federal courts could declare one a citizen. There may have been decidedly little formality at Supreme Court, Westchester or Putnam counties. My view is almost that if someone works and doesn't suck from the system, let them.

I do want them to learn English, though, and not create a country within a country. That is why I'm less upset than some about Japanese internment. They may not have been traitors but they seem to use English very little and to have no interaction with the surrounding communities. I don't believe in tribalism or multiculturalism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
If illegal immigrants are beneficial to a nation, then how come every country in the world (except for Ukraine in 2022 ) has strict immigration law and border guard/police?
Immigration in the19th and early 20th Century in large part created the economic miracle that the U.S. became. Agriculture and industry in those days did not operate by robots. The U.S., Canada and Australia have miraculous economies in large part because they absorbed the strivers of every other country.

One vignette. I have a professional colleague who know someone who migrated from Albania with a high IQ. By hereditary tradition she could only be a ditch-digger. Recently, I read I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up For Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai. This book details the story of a girl who was shot,at point blank range, simply for wanting an education, insisting on her right to be educated, and to be her own person. Fortunately, she was airlifted to Britain and with the help of the best that medicine has to offer she made a mostly full recovery.While this book concerns an emigre to Britain, the world is better off for her growing and entering the professional world in Britain than being another casualty of an atrocity.

Last edited by jbgusa; 05-23-2022 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-23-2022, 07:54 AM

63,283 posts, read 29,374,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I think you should talk to the business owners here in TX. I'm sure they predominantly vote GOP, yet the hire undocumented immigrants ALL the time. Of course status is easy to check but ...

In fact, I think that TX construction / home remodel industry will come to a standstill if that changes. See, installing a roof in a 100 + degree weather tends to be not a very glamorous job. Lol. Now, selling that roof is significantly more glamorous.

P.S. Care to provide some sort of reliable proof of your numbers above.
First off, there is no such thing as an undocumented immigrant they are illegal aliens! YOU need to talk to the Democrats in congress who refuse to pass a mandated e-verify bill. Right now it's only elective in the private sector. YOU need to talk to the Democrats who refuse to deport any illegals unless they are "convicted" criminals. YOU need to talk to Biden who refused to finish the wall that was 90% effective in deterring illegal entry in the areas where they have already been built. YOU need to talk to the Democrats who constantly are givng incentives for illegals to come here and have done away with the workplace raids.

Americans have always done construction work and would do so again for a fair wage. Americans have always done roofing in hot weather. Who do you think were doing those jobs before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? Do you like the rich getting richer off of cheap, illegal labor and putting Americans out of work?

Here we go again for the umpteenth time!

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publica...ates-taxpayers

Old 05-23-2022, 07:56 AM

8,658 posts, read 9,179,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So...F kids? I mean really? Thats the thing folks worry about here? Lets damage kids education? That makes the world a better place? Really?
School is not free, not at all. These illegals never contributed to or ever paid taxes in order to keep these schools running, never. I don't like the idea of rejecting these kids but it will place a drag on our children's education. If parents can send their children to private school, I would do it in a hurry.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:57 AM

1,719 posts, read 740,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
See my answer here
Sorry, but this isn't a straight answer. Let me phrase it again: do you condone illegal migration? Which means, do you condone people entering and staying the United States without legal permission, thereby breaking U.S. laws and committing criminal offenses?

Please, don't give a "this is a gray area" response. I'm not asking if you agree with present U.S. immigration laws. I'm asking if you condone breaking those laws. Just a simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
How long is a piece of string?

Legitimate asylum claims were, and probably are, being denied. American children are in danger of being split with their parents, or forced to move to a place they do not know. How should policy be changed to INCREASE immigration so less undocumented people come in? You know as well as I do that there will be a huge resistance to that, right? Yet, both the USA and Canada need immigration to build and sustain our economies due to low birth rates.

So, the grey... how much should immigration be increased to cut down on the undocumented people coming in?
How are American children being split for their parents? As for moving, families move all over the world to foreign places and they do just fine. Illegals and their kids would just be moving back to their homelands and their kids already know the culture and language as they were taught so by their parents.

We alreeady allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year in keeping with our ability to prove them with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. That's not sane immigration policy? Sane immigration policy to you is to import the third world's poor, unskilled and uneducated numbers in unlimited numbers to fill low waged jobs and then Americans can just cough up the tax dollars for their social costs?

You suggest that we increase our visas for the above kind of people just to cut down on illegal immigration? HUH? God, when are you moving to Mexico?

Old 05-23-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
normstad does NOT know the difference between legal and ILLEGAL immigrants!
Of course he does, but he chooses to ignore it.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You may well expect me to be anti-immigration but I'm mixed. I know that at least some of my ancestors came via train from Montreal around the mid-1890's, after escaping from the Czar's army in Ukraine. I doubt very much that they filled out immigration paperwork at Rouse's Point (the border crossing into New York) or at Grand Central Terminal. The ones that came via ship to Ellis Island were checked for tuberculosis and lice. I do know that in those days, state as well as federal courts could declare one a citizen. There may have been decidedly little formality at Supreme Court, Westchester or Putnam counties. My view is almost that if someone works and doesn't suck from the system, let them.

I do want them to learn English, though, and not create a country within a country. That is why I'm less upset than some about Japanese internment. They may not have been traitors but they seem to use English very little and to have no interaction with the surrounding communities. I don't believe in tribalism or multiculturalism.
Immigration in the19th and early 20th Century in large part created the economic miracle that the U.S. became. Agriculture and industry in those days did not operate by robots. The U.S., Canada and Australia have miraculous economies in large part because they absorbed the strivers of every other country.

One vignette. I have a professional colleague who know someone who migrated from Albania with a high IQ. By hereditary tradition she could only be a ditch-digger. Recently, I read I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up For Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai. This book details the story of a girl who was shot,at point blank range, simply for wanting an education, insisting on her right to be educated, and to be her own person. Fortunately, she was airlifted to Britain and with the help of the best that medicine has to offer she made a mostly full recovery.While this book concerns an emigre to Britain, the world is better off for her growing and entering the professional world in Britain than being another casualty of an atrocity.
An interesting post, thanks. But this thread is about is about illegal migration, not legal immigration.

Quote:
I read it, I looked at each of your links. I read it, and even quoted from it. FAIR is highly prejudiced in its mission statement. In fact, it partially states as its object is ".....FAIR seeks to reduce overall immigration to a more normal level." It never says what it thinks is "normal level" but the key word is "reduce".

Immigration is a net positive in countries that are not growing their populations naturally. So, part of the answer against all the undocumented aliens is to increase immigration, re-evaluate asylum restrictions, and attempt to help countries like Guatemala to address the reason citizens are leaving.

There is no one magic bullet, but FAIR is not even trying to be part of a realistic answer. They want less foreigners, period.
Regardless if FAIR wants less legal immigration it doesn't mean they aren't right on about the statistics of illegal immigration. They even admitted that illegal aliens contributed $19 billion in taxes but it pales iin comparison to the over $100 billon a year that they cost us.

If we find we need more legal immigration then we will increase visas for them but not for dishwashers, hedge trimmers, burger flippers, etc. They are a net tax burden to our society. We should never import immigrants to replace Americans on their jobs either by working for less which is what illegals have done in the construction industry.

We send billions to those countries below our southern border and what has it done? Nothing!

By the way, statistically 80% of asylum seekers are making bogus claims. No one has the right nor should we change our asylum policies to include those who just want a job or other economic opportunities. That's not what aslym even means.

10,798 posts, read 3,619,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How are American children being split for their parents? As for moving, families move all over the world to foreign places and they do just fine. Illegals and their kids would just be moving back to their homelands and their kids already know the culture and language as they were taught so by their parents.

We alreeady allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year in keeping with our ability to prove them with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. That's not sane immigration policy? Sane immigration policy to you is to import the third world's poor, unskilled and uneducated numbers in unlimited numbers to fill low waged jobs and then Americans can just cough up the tax dollars for their social costs?

You suggest that we increase our visas for the above kind of people just to cut down on illegal immigration? HUH? God, when are you moving to Mexico?
Record low unemployment currently in the USA. The economy NEEDS people. That is a fact, and all anti-immigrant nonsense won't change that.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:19 AM

14,256 posts, read 4,638,730 times
Quote:
Record low unemployment currently in the USA. The economy NEEDS people. That is a fact, and all anti-immigrant nonsense won't change that.
Anti-immigrants?

Don’t you mean anti-ILLEGAL immigrants.

You know the difference between legal and illegal immigration or should I break it down for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies