Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 12:04 PM

3,284 posts, read 1,420,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
have you met canadian poster normstad?
No actually. I’m assuming you think he is an “open border globalist”. But let me ask you this…have you met Oldglory?

Old 05-23-2022, 12:05 PM

1,719 posts, read 732,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I think we are more or less in agreement. Increase legal immigration to some agreed upon amount and handle it as you suggested. Then work harder to address/limit immigration that comes in (or tries to come in) outside legal channel. I have never met “an open border globalist” who just says let everyone come and go as they please….most people who favor immigration reform want more (not unlimited) legal immigration, and better border controls.
You should meet some of my Mexican-American and Mexican in-laws.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:07 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
No actually. I’m assuming you think he is an “open border globalist”. But let me ask you this…have you met Oldglory?
Is Oldglory an open border globalists?

When someone like normstad refuses to acknowledge the difference between illegal and legal immigration, then yes, he is an open border globalist

Old 05-23-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Unfortunately, transitional issues have been continuing here in the Southwest for decades and multiple generations. Tons of money, resources, bi-lingual ed, etc. have been invested in the language problem, which is only worsening. If you're so inclined, check out the Austin, Texas threads about their devolving schools.

Living near the border in a state with a burgeoning illegal population is much more difficult and problematic than people who live elsewhere can imagine.
Well, two things…(1) you are correct border states bear a disproportionate share of the costs associated with immigration (at least initially). I think that just be a good role role for the Federal government to step in with some funding issues. (2) Texas is also a an economic giant, fast growing etc….part of that reason (not the only one, and not the primary one) is no doubt the supply of cheap labor that come via immigration. So you get the benefits and the costs.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
LOL…no, in my opinion, he is xenophobic.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 732,745 times
Quote:
First, I don’t agree with your premise, but let’s assume that you are correct. And after a couple of generations, those immigrants’ kids are going to act, behave, be educated, have income levels that are nearly identical to those of any other American. They aren’t going to keep having the number of kids consistent with their grandparents generations.
Please see my first paragraph in post #345.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:

When someone like normstad refuses to acknowledge the difference between illegal and legal immigration, then yes, he is an open border globalist
Your argument is with him then…not me.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:11 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
LOL…no, in my opinion, he is xenophobic.
That’s cool.

And what’s that has anything to do with open border globalists?

When someone like normstad flat out refuses to acknowledge illegal immigration is not the same as legal immigration, then he is an open border globalist

Old 05-23-2022, 12:12 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Very helpful. Another Replacement Theory conspiracist heard from.
OK, then you tell me. What is the purpose of the Diversity Lottery? Why is the goal of increasing racial diversity seen as so important that there is a government program explicitly designed to increase immigration by non-white groups?

Old 05-23-2022, 12:12 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Redefine what is "illegal". Start acknowledging that people are needed to grow the economy, especially now. We all know unemployment is at historic low levels, and the type of jobs most immigrants from the southern and central America do are eschewed by American citizens, even during the Great Recession.

As I stated, there is no magic bullet, but a serious re-evaluation needs to be done. Consider, from your perspective, how much use is it to spend CBP resources on sussing out an undocumented person who has been in the USA for 15 or more years?
FWIW, it's not CBP resources. It is ICE and USCIS resources. All of which is under DHS (Homeland Security).

Quote:
We all know that person has been a net contributor to the economy, their children are American, they are not criminals, and under most circumstances would be one that any economy would welcome.
Actually, we do NOT know that. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...holds-by-size/

25% of Hispanic families are 5 or more people. More than twice the white figure, almost twice the Black figure. Most Hispanic families that I encounter are single-income, maybe 1.5 jobs.

Hispanic households average 80% of the US median household income ... that is considered low-moderate income. A Hispanic household earning $55K per year - those aren't even your illegals working low/minimum wage. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-ethnic-group/

The crazy thing is how much the Democrats and "increase immigration" folks must hate Black American citizens. After all, they earn about 20% less than the Hispanics, including the illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies