Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 03:03 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
since about 3/4 of what tinytrump posts as "facts" is categorically false, it's not worth the time to debunk wild claims like "financed by hedge funds", "families treated poorly trying to get their citizenship", etal.

Anyone that's concerned about LEGAL immigration - that wants it to be better-run or at higher levels - needs to be just as strongly against ILLEGAL immigration. Because we can't dedicate budget to a "better" USCIS until the portion of USCIS/DHS budget that goes to CBP and ICE goes down.
You can pick on me if makes you feel better. But working at DHS over 15 yrs, I know what I know and really your “opinion” does not matter to me.
DuMa should be able to tell you about hedge funds n the drug cartels.
As for budgets. I don’t know last year’s as I retired - but previous budgets always dropped and all extra money left over at the end of the year went to DRO. If we can allocate billions to help a war, we can fix our problems, if congress did their jobs.

USCIS is mostly self funded by fees. Not to say it could not use more Federal grants to do a better job.
https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/budge...nd-performance

FBI concerned over laundering risks in private equity, hedge funds - leaked document.

The cartel laundered approximately $1 million through the accounts each week and then withdrew the money to purchase gold,” the bulletin reads. This report was last updated in January 2019.

https://www.reuters.com/article/bc-f...-idUSKCN24F1TP

Old 05-23-2022, 03:14 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Hardly. He is against illegal immigration, as am I. That hardly makes one "xenophobic".
Exactly, how is one xenophobic to object to illegal aliens that violated our immigration laws but embrace legal immigration in the numbers that we actually need to fill skilled jobs so that they won't be a tax burden to our society. That poster will never explain that, though will they?

Old 05-23-2022, 03:22 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
There’s a lot of space for negotiation between 55,000 and 4 billion. I don’t know anyone who is serious about immigration reform who would propose a ceiling of 4 billion people. I would think the US could easily absorb up to 1 million people per year…maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less.
problem there is you've got upwards of 22MM that have to be accounted for - some removed, some allowed under conditions - to absorb that extra million/year you're talking about.

You don't get 11MM lawbreakers (felony/serious misdemeanor/multiple misdemeanors/1.2MM already ordered deported), the other 11MM "wave a magic wand" and then start adding another 1MM people/year.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
FWIW, it's not CBP resources. It is ICE and USCIS resources. All of which is under DHS (Homeland Security).

Actually, we do NOT know that. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...holds-by-size/

25% of Hispanic families are 5 or more people. More than twice the white figure, almost twice the Black figure. Most Hispanic families that I encounter are single-income, maybe 1.5 jobs.

Hispanic households average 80% of the US median household income ... that is considered low-moderate income. A Hispanic household earning $55K per year - those aren't even your illegals working low/minimum wage. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-ethnic-group/

The crazy thing is how much the Democrats and "increase immigration" folks must hate Black American citizens. After all, they earn about 20% less than the Hispanics, including the illegals.
Green Mariner needs to read your last sentence.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You better read it again. Especially Secition 1.

SCOTUS held that in United States v. Wong Kim Ark in 1898 under the Fourteenth Amendment, a man born within the United States to Chinese citizens who have a permanent domicile and residence in the United States and are carrying out business in the United States—and whose parents were not employed in a diplomatic or other official capacity by a foreign power—was a citizen of the United States.

This Canadian has finished this USA Civics Class for today. Now go enjoy the rest of it and drive like you know us.
For the umpteenth time! Wong Kim Ark was not a case about illegal alien parents but parents legally domiciled in the U.S. Geezus!

Old 05-23-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Funny thing is Canadian immigration system is based on "points"
So they give you points if you have a college education, job experience, age, and language proficiency. You have to meet minimum points requirement if you want to migrate to Canada.

and here we have a Canadian normstad on his high horse telling Americans that we should take everybody in the world regardless of their qualifications.

NIMBY at the finest
Just goes to show how much of a hypocrite that poster is.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:25 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You may well expect me to be anti-immigration but I'm mixed. I know that at least some of my ancestors came via train from Montreal around the mid-1890's, after escaping from the Czar's army in Ukraine. I doubt very much that they filled out immigration paperwork at Rouse's Point (the border crossing into New York) or at Grand Central Terminal. The ones that came via ship to Ellis Island were checked for tuberculosis and lice. I do know that in those days, state as well as federal courts could declare one a citizen. There may have been decidedly little formality at Supreme Court, Westchester or Putnam counties. My view is almost that if someone works and doesn't suck from the system, let them.

I do want them to learn English, though, and not create a country within a country. That is why I'm less upset than some about Japanese internment. They may not have been traitors but they seem to use English very little and to have no interaction with the surrounding communities. I don't believe in tribalism or multiculturalism.
Immigration in the19th and early 20th Century in large part created the economic miracle that the U.S. became. Agriculture and industry in those days did not operate by robots. The U.S., Canada and Australia have miraculous economies in large part because they absorbed the strivers of every other country.

One vignette. I have a professional colleague who know someone who migrated from Albania with a high IQ. By hereditary tradition she could only be a ditch-digger. Recently, I read I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up For Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai. This book details the story of a girl who was shot,at point blank range, simply for wanting an education, insisting on her right to be educated, and to be her own person. Fortunately, she was airlifted to Britain and with the help of the best that medicine has to offer she made a mostly full recovery.While this book concerns an emigre to Britain, the world is better off for her growing and entering the professional world in Britain than being another casualty of an atrocity.
That is a story (I use Tesla who would be kicked to the curb with his 4cents, today and deemed a beggar) about a person with a high IQ, when it is believed the illegal immigrants have low IQ. Which by the way was the same argument used back in the day in against the slave becoming a citizen of the u.s. Science discovery within the same time period showed that to be an untrue belief, but the prejudice continued none-the-less. They contend today as they did then, it is a waist of good education, to uplift those deemed from an arbitrary belief, unable to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Yes, this is true. I'm sure several billion people worldwide, with or without high-level skills and education, would like to immigrate to the U.S. if they could.

I still don't know what you mean by the U.S. immigration system being an impossibility. Are you suggesting the U.S. let everyone enter and stay because they want to live in the U.S.?
And those wanting to leave the u.s.? Should they be told no and not able to leave ... ?

"That a man ought not to be a slave; that he should not be confined against his will to a particular spot because he happened to draw his first breath upon it; that he should not be compelled to continue in a society to which he is accidentally attached, when he can better his situation elsewhere, much less when he must starve in one country, and may live comfortably in another, are positions which I hold as strongly as any man, and they are such as most nations in the world appear clearly to recognize." Justice James Iredell

Doesn't matter whether or not they are coming or going --- humans seek opportunity. We can either help them advance or kick 'em to the curb. It benefits the u.s. as it has always done since its inception to do the former, but today's consensus is to do the later, benefits be damned. If we could take the politics out of it and see all as human beings, one no different from another, we'd fair much better, but alias, we can not do that, today any more than they could 4000 years ago. Same story, different era. Nothing ever changes with changes all around.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:33 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
my criticism is that you post gibberish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They need to revamp USCIS. I know how they are operating and right at this moment it’s like the IRS. Months even years behind. It needs policy changes.
I’ve known good people be treated badly trying to get their citizenship, and families not able to come together waiting over 10 yrs. Seen a young man denied a hardship visa to see his mom, a citizen, until one year later picked up her ashes. And she worked cleaning a Fed office over 18 yrs.
The drug n sex trafficking is out of control. But hedge funds finance it. It’s high end money moving this stuff . So can we do something with our druggies and sex fiends? We are the consumers, won’t be surprised if soon potatoes and sides of beef will be transported through those tunnels.
IMHO, we need to direct our efforts to the hard drugs, trafficking, cyber crimes and child exploitation. Like it or not, need to see how we can take the humble family workers and fix the work visas, make them 5 yrs with monthly reporting. Those student overstays, we need that talent, but we deport them.
But I know. They are illegal - throw them over the cliff and save Americana. There not going to be a fix anytime soon. Maybe in 10/15 yrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You can pick on me if makes you feel better. But working at DHS over 15 yrs, I know what I know and really your “opinion” does not matter to me.
DuMa should be able to tell you about hedge funds n the drug cartels.
As for budgets. I don’t know last year’s as I retired - but previous budgets always dropped and all extra money left over at the end of the year went to DRO. If we can allocate billions to help a war, we can fix our problems, if congress did their jobs.

USCIS is mostly self funded by fees. Not to say it could not use more Federal grants to do a better job.
https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/budge...nd-performance

FBI concerned over laundering risks in private equity, hedge funds - leaked document.

The cartel laundered approximately $1 million through the accounts each week and then withdrew the money to purchase gold,” the bulletin reads. This report was last updated in January 2019.

https://www.reuters.com/article/bc-f...-idUSKCN24F1TP
You tell us you were on the front lines of "stopping illegal immigration", yes? So what would you know about the struggles of green card holders? Of someone who applied for a hardship visa (while not providing anything more than the sad side of the story)? If you really knew of these things - tell us what you did to try and solve them?

You linked to an article which included 4 instances of money-laundering using hedge/equity funds to get the funds to appear legal, and then wash them back through the system. One of these was about the drug cartels.

What % of the Southern border drug cartel do you think is $1 million a week?

Tell us which part of the CBP or ICE budget went down $1 from one year to the next. Not "projected a $100MM increase, only got $80MM". Actual lower budgets.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:12 PM

1,719 posts, read 732,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
And those wanting to leave the u.s.? Should they be told no and not able to leave ... ?

"That a man ought not to be a slave; that he should not be confined against his will to a particular spot because he happened to draw his first breath upon it; that he should not be compelled to continue in a society to which he is accidentally attached, when he can better his situation elsewhere, much less when he must starve in one country, and may live comfortably in another, are positions which I hold as strongly as any man, and they are such as most nations in the world appear clearly to recognize." Justice James Iredell

Doesn't matter whether or not they are coming or going --- humans seek opportunity. We can either help them advance or kick 'em to the curb. It benefits the u.s. as it has always done since its inception to do the former, but today's consensus is to do the later, benefits be damned. If we could take the politics out of it and see all as human beings, one no different from another, we'd fair much better, but alias, we can not do that, today any more than they could 4000 years ago. Same story, different era. Nothing ever changes with changes all around.
If those who want to leave the U.S. find another place in which to legally immigrate, let them. No one has said otherwise on this thread.

Very nice quote in your second paragraph. However, at least half the world's population lives in dire circumstances -- that's about 4 billion people. So how many people should be allowed into the U.S.? Legal and/or illegal?

Do you condone putting foreigners ahead of Americans, benefits-wise? My ancestors who immigrated legally to the U.S. didn't receive the benefits that present-day illegal migrants receive. I doubt yours did, either.

Politics has little to do with it. Greed and survival do. Perhaps politics, greed, and survival are the same thing.

We're not all the same. There will always be people who are smarter, stronger, more motivated, more grasping, more violent, and more capable than others. Nature is harsh and doesn't care about feelings or ideals -- only survival.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
That is a story (I use Tesla who would be kicked to the curb with his 4cents, today and deemed a beggar) about a person with a high IQ, when it is believed the illegal immigrants have low IQ. Which by the way was the same argument used back in the day in against the slave becoming a citizen of the u.s. Science discovery within the same time period showed that to be an untrue belief, but the prejudice continued none-the-less. They contend today as they did then, it is a waist of good education, to uplift those deemed from an arbitrary belief, unable to learn.

No one should leave their country to enter another country illegally and that includes Americans. No one is above the law. Humans have no right to seek opportunity by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. The citizens of our country are human also and no one has the right take opportunties from them to benefit themselves. Sick of this bleeding heart nonsense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies