Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 01:38 PM

25,748 posts, read 12,832,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
We shouldn’t have spent all that COVID money.
We didn't really spend it at all...we re-distributed it, from the federal gov't in DC, to the top 1%, and to states with bankrupted state pensions. It was called Covid relief but the cash got scrubbed, & turned into pension bailouts, kickbacks, & pork belly spending.

Only ~15% went to the American people, so yes, that 15% got spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 01:44 PM

25,748 posts, read 12,832,402 times
I've been more uncertain, but this has the potential to become the worst of all.

Inflation may not be controllable, and if we jack interest rates upto 7%+ the interest payments on our national debt could swallow big chunks of entitlement & defense spending.

If we print more Monopoly money to cover it all, the dollar could collapse.

Entitlements will need to be means tested to save them for the bottom 40%.

I'm a debt-free top 2%'er, so I'll be fine, but for anyone carrying debt, I'm very concerned.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 05-21-2022 at 03:14 PM..

Old 05-21-2022, 02:03 PM

2,872 posts, read 1,151,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
The democrats shut down the economy. Something had to fuel the economy since the democrats would not let people work.
Exactly.
2020 and the lockdowns, hysteria, etc., were all by design.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:05 PM

25,451 posts, read 9,813,207 times
I felt more uncertain when I had to pay 18% for a car loan and had a 13% interest rate on my mortgage.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:11 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Definitely not as bad as 2008 when everyone's biggest asset, their homes, cratered and went underwater. I was lucky to be able to leave the country and ride out the recession in Europe. But I will be sticking around this time as jobs and home values are doing well.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:53 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,141,544 times
I don't think most people understand how bad things could potentially become. That's not to say that the worst scenario(s) will come to fruition of course, and I certainly don't wish failure and/or suffering on anybody, but at a minimum some degree of pain will be required to get through all of this. I'd personally prefer that we get through it as quickly as possible. Most seem to want to continue to play games while increasing the potential for more uncertainty as well as worse and/or longer pain. I don't understand the second mindset — and it's a mindset that transcends political affiliation.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:55 PM

25,451 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I don't think most people understand how bad things could potentially become. That's not to say that the worst scenario(s) will come to fruition of course, and I certainly don't wish failure and/or suffering on anybody, but at a minimum some degree of pain will be required to get through all of this. I'd personally prefer that we get through it as quickly as possible. Most seem to want to continue to play games while increasing the potential for more uncertainty as well as worse and/or longer pain. I don't understand the second mindset — and it's a mindset that transcends political affiliation.
I agree. Seems we are averse to taking our lumps which are going to inevitably come.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:55 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
No. The massive inflation created by the overspending during the Trump years is impacting prices but we're still in a standard economic cycle. I have no faith in Biden being able to fix it and Congress is unable to pass anything. But we've had worse.
"Under President Obama, the national debt grew the most in dollar terms ($8.6 trillion) and was fifth by percentage at 74%. Obama fought the Great Recession with an $831 billion economic stimulus package and added $858 billion through tax cuts. Even though the fiscal year 2009 budget was set by President Bush, Obama added to it with the Economic Stimulus Act in 2009.

The national debt reached another high of $28 trillion less than two months after President Trump left office.2 In December 2021, Congress then increased the debt limit by $2.5 trillion, to almost $31.4 trillion, as debt rose again under President Joe Biden.

The U.S. government rang up another $669 billion in the national debt from January 20, 2021 through the end of its 2021 fiscal year. That’s how much extra money the federal government has had to borrow to support its excessive spending during President Joe Biden’s tenure in office.

Much of that additional debt is because of new spending President Biden approved."

Biden has made the debt worse, so get off the Trump soapbox.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:00 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Surprisingly no. The number of jobs out there and demand for employees is making most folks get by. And we got a war going on. Like for reals level of war. Where its not 100% known who is going to win.

And man. I remember getting laid off....and what normally is a week or two off while I looked for work turned into week after week after week of trying to find work. And I was not alone.

THATS scary. This? Its inflation. Weve seen it before. If you have a mortgage its awesome. Your house payments are going to be taking less of a bite out of your income going forward.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:25 PM

19,812 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Yes, but I think that is because I am older (retired). When I was younger, I was really too busy to pay much attention to the economy, and as long as I was employed, I was self-centered enough to have the attitude that this was just something affected other people, and/or I was optimistic enough to think it would be short-lived.

Also, this is the first time I have heard about the real possibility of many (maybe mot) people actually going hungry.

Yes, I am very worried about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies