Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 03:53 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

I've got 10 to 12 years before I retire. I keep hearing stories that government is going to try and somehow seize or sabotage our 4O1ks. I've got a pretty good amount in mine, far far more than the average, by a long shot and I'm scared.

Keep hearing about this great reset and how we'll be happy with nothing and I don't know what the hell to believe anymore.

Yeah, nervous about the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 04:05 PM

4,033 posts, read 2,719,381 times
No. The most uncertain I've ever been was from mid 2003 to early 2004 (laid off from my job of five years, and my industry was struggling, and it took me months to find another job), and then from early 2006 to mid 2010 (my industry had done an uptick from early 2004 to mid 2006, then started to struggle again). I was working during this period, but it was a huge pay cut just to have a job, and in that time frame, gas prices had gone up to the $4 mark.

My industry has since recovered, and I've personally been doing well since, and feel secure in my employment (and hopefully I didn't just jinx it by saying that!)

Old 05-21-2022, 04:23 PM

30,447 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
No. The most uncertain I've ever been was from mid 2003 to early 2004 (laid off from my job of five years, and my industry was struggling, and it took me months to find another job), and then from early 2006 to mid 2010 (my industry had done an uptick from early 2004 to mid 2006, then started to struggle again). I was working during this period, but it was a huge pay cut just to have a job, and in that time frame, gas prices had gone up to the $4 mark.

My industry has since recovered, and I've personally been doing well since, and feel secure in my employment (and hopefully I didn't just jinx it by saying that!)
Bush2 and his 2 failed wars did a number on us.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:26 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've got 10 to 12 years before I retire. I keep hearing stories that government is going to try and somehow seize or sabotage our 4O1ks. I've got a pretty good amount in mine, far far more than the average, by a long shot and I'm scared.

Keep hearing about this great reset and how we'll be happy with nothing and I don't know what the hell to believe anymore.

Yeah, nervous about the future.
Where did you hear that?

Old 05-21-2022, 04:34 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
No, because 2008 resulted in a period of homelessness for me. I was struggling enough after 8 years of crazy excess from a wildly successful ebay run, just as eBay was coming back for me, it was revealed that both my landlords in CA had not been paying their mortgages for 18 months or more. Now, I am in NC with a paid off home on acreage with an orchard and I'm sitting on 9 months take home. Trust me, I am amazed I ended up in this situation. After 6 years of 500 hrs a year of OT, I would not object to the break. My only worry....where is the bottom.

I've been working like that and don't know what a 40 hour check is anymore.
Worked 122 hours overtime in March alone.
The way things are and are getting I want to keep up the overtime for as long as possible.
It's my only hedge against all of this.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:46 PM

1,699 posts, read 614,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Lol. You failed to mention the Muslims who arguably dropped two of the most important buildings in the world on our solid and crashed buildings into the country’s pentagon. I think that had more to do with it than any war Busch fought.

I’m a bit more curious about the economy now than in 2008/9 or before. It’s not just houses that are expensive it’s everything exploding with inflation and for the first time in my life some actually shortages and empty shelves that are not just one product but many products. The country has far more debt than it did then as well. Many tech startups that likely won’t be around in a couple years. 50% of children born are on WIC. Lawlessness basically be encouraged by the progressive left. Far too many people with their hands out wanting something for free from the government. I can’t think of a single positive sign for the economy.

Last edited by Livinginwaterland; 05-21-2022 at 05:44 PM..

Old 05-21-2022, 05:11 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It’s a small world after all.

(Worth reading all of it)

Quote:
Collegium International

To The Candidates of the 2004 United States Presidential Elction: President George W. Bush and Senator John Kerry.

On November 2, one of you will be elected the next President of the United States. Because your great country is powerful far beyond its borders, billions of women and men who cannot vote will be profoundly affected by the choice made by the United States electorate.
We, the members of the International Ethical Collegium, write to you as citizens of the world who are in effect your constituents, but who have no vote. We ask that you consider your responsibility not just to the United States and its citizens but also to the world in this new era of interdependence, when sovereignty still circumscribes elections but can no longer circumscribe the consequences of elections.

Interdependence is evident in our world, from global warming to global markets, global crime, and global technology. However, more than anything else, terrorism has unveiled this fateful interdependence that defines our twenty-first century world. The atrocious attacks of September 11, 2001, like those that followed in Casablanca, Bali, Madrid and elsewhere, elicited the condemnation and sympathy of the entire world, even as they showed that no nation can any longer be secure or sovereign by itself.
https://web.archive.org/web/20071013...bid=7&pid=1822

It gets better, you just have to want to investigate.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:30 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
We need to find a way to get people back to working real jobs, that make real products, and provide real services for the critical goods we are currently unable to produce as well as the key services that remain unfilled. We also need to break the bottlenecks in the shipping and transportation system. Call in the National Guard and/or whoever else it takes to get things flowing.

Another possible solution is to allow retired seniors collecting Social Security to fill critical shortages areas with no penalty to their SS benefits. These additional earnings could be taxed at a favorable rate such as no higher than 15%. This could be time limited to 18 to 24 months.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:35 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
We need to find a way to get people back to working real jobs, that make real products, and provide real services for the critical goods we are currently unable to produce as well as the key services that remain unfilled. We also need to break the bottlenecks in the shipping and transportation system. Call in the National Guard and/or whoever else it takes to get things flowing.

Another possible solution is to allow retired seniors collecting Social Security to fill critical shortages areas with no penalty to their SS benefits. These additional earnings could be taxed at a favorable rate such as no higher than 15%. This could be time limited to 18 to 24 months.
In 1972 a report was given to the Club of Rome for its Predicament of Man project. In that report it stated that:

Quote:
1. If the present growth trends in world population, industrial- ization, pollution, food production, and resource depletion con- tinue unchanged, the limits to growth on this planet will be
reached sometime within the next one hundred years. The most probable result will be a rather sudden and uncontrol- lable decline in both population and industrial capacity.
INTRODUCTION
http://www.donellameadows.org/wp-con...an-version.pdf

Knowing that, knowing that in 1972 the government and the intelligence community moved in ways that were not understood at the time. Eased relations with China, abandonment of the gold standard, the foundations of CRT and Militant feminism set in motion.

Anyways, the important part to understand is instead of 100 years it was more like 70 (2042).

I hope you all catch up sooner rather than later for the sake of humanity.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:08 PM

29,829 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

Americans can't live on 3 dollars an hour. Well, I suppose they could, but I can guarantee they won't willingly work for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies