Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 09:25 AM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its pretty obvious, that young girl is playing to the camera, its a joke folks, done for entertainment purposes. just look at how the kids act when they are asked questions. LOL

The thing about these kinds of videos, (like Jay Lenos street walking skits), we only see the edited final version of the filming, we DO NOT see everything that happens before the camera goes on, the kids being told what the script is, how they should act, where they should look, etc.
If you believe that, you should try teaching these kids sometime. Your conclusion would change rather quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 09:30 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I agree that IQ tests are pretty worthless for the reasons you have outlined.

In any pursuit (academics as well), I would take a hard worker over one with a very high IQ any day.

Keep in mind that Linus Pauling was awarded TWO Nobel Prizes and had an IQ under 100.
There is zero chance Pauling's IQ was less than 100. Either that or he took the test in a language he didn't speak etc.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:33 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Are teachers really underpaid? Watch this and decide for yourself.

Kids not knowing how many states are in the US. Kids not knowing what a dozen is. Kids not knowing who fought in the civil war, etc... But I bet they know all those weird pronouns and what the letters in LGTBQXYZ mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufmcubp2szg
Today's teacher should be given the old 8th grade exam from 1912.

"1912 Eighth-Grade Exam Stumps 21st-Century Test-Takers

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/1912-...exam_n_3744163

If they can't pass out, out with them.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:33 AM

Would I take...

(a) a hard worker

(b) a high IQ person

(c) a hard worker with a high IQ

(d) a lazy dunce

I'd go for (c) .

Old 05-24-2022, 09:36 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its pretty obvious, that young girl is playing to the camera, its a joke folks, done for entertainment purposes. just look at how the kids act when they are asked questions. LOL

The thing about these kinds of videos, (like Jay Lenos street walking skits), we only see the edited final version of the filming, we DO NOT see everything that happens before the camera goes on, the kids being told what the script is, how they should act, where they should look, etc.
Of course they edited out the dozens of people who answered correctly because that doesn't make for an entertaining video. But of course the boomers in this thread see the video and take it at face value and start complaining about modern day education as if there aren't a ton of boomers who don't know how to pay a bill without getting out the checkbook.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:37 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The elderly didn't know how to work computers and cell phones when they were 20 either.

Every generation has stupid people that don't know basic stuff and the current generation is just the same.

Also throw in the fact that they can get information in 3 seconds electronically where as not knowing how many ounces in a pint when I was growing up would mean a trek to the library or asking someone else etc.

It's just *different* now.
"The elderly didn't know how to work computers and cell phones when they were 20 either."

Uh, they weren't around back then!

Old 05-24-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
... as if there aren't a ton of boomers who don't know how to pay a bill without getting out the checkbook.
And a ton of little snot-noses who don't know how to do much of anything without pulling out the trusty smartphone (AKA brain substitute). Half the population under forty years of age would be completely dysfunctional if their phone were taken away.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:43 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Virginia View Post
This is the Democrat voting base.

Another reason why we need to raise the minimum age to vote to 30 or 35, unless you've served.
A majority of voters with college degrees or higher lean Democratic (57%). Only 37% of college grads lean Republican. I think these kids are more likely future Republicans.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...rows-slightly/

Old 05-24-2022, 10:07 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Virginia View Post
This is the Democrat voting base.

Another reason why we need to raise the minimum age to vote to 30 or 35, unless you've served.
Your just looking for any excuse to disenfranchise voters because you don't like how they vote, try getting a better message....

Old 05-24-2022, 10:46 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,701,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Then you only need to borrow someone's phone when you lose yours, and remember which password you used the last time you accessed the cloud and it insisted it was time for a new PW. Then you download all those numbers to the borrowed phone? Ok.

Try a 3x5 card in your wallet with the few important numbers you really need.
The cloud really isn’t that hard. Lol. I have a work and a personal phone. When I break one, or lose one, I just log onto the cloud and see all my contacts. I can even do it from my computer, either using my Contacts app, or using a website, if on a shared computer.

I did the laminated card in my wallet for YEARS. The cloud is much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies