Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 06:28 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,754,366 times

Advertisements

ISW Update 9/9/23

https://understandingwar.org/backgro...ptember-9-2023

Quote:
Sep 9, 2023 - Press ISW

Ukrainian forces made confirmed advances in the Donetsk-Zaporizhia Oblast border area and in western Zaporizhia Oblast and made claimed advances south of Bakhmut on September 9. Geolocated footage published on September 9 shows that Ukrainian forces advanced northwest of Novomayorske (18km southeast of Velyka Novosilka) along the Donetsk-Zaporizhia Oblast border, where Russian sources claim fighting has intensified in recent days. Additional geolocated footage published on September 9 shows that Ukrainian forces also advanced northeast and east of Novoprokopivka (13km south of Orikhiv) and west of Verbove (20km southeast of Orikhiv) in western Zaporizhia Oblast. The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Ukrainian forces achieved unspecified successes south of Robotyne (10km south of Orikhiv). A Kremlin-affiliated Russian milblogger claimed that Ukrainian forces forced Russian forces to withdraw from Andriivka (9km southwest of Bakhmut), and another prominent milblogger claimed that Andriivka is now a contested “gray zone.” Ukrainian officials reported that Ukrainian forces also achieved unspecified success south of Klishchiivka.
Methinks calling the Ukraine counteroffensive a complete failure was way premature. Right now its looking more like the Russian Depth of Defenses is coming off its wheels. Russia is worried.

Last edited by JohnBoy64; 09-09-2023 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 06:44 PM

4,970 posts, read 2,747,822 times
Denys update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fB6C_qx-A

Old 09-09-2023, 06:56 PM

I like this young mans updates..short and and to the point..he posts about once or twice a week..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZoXg0gb4gg

Old 09-09-2023, 07:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,955,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pretty funny, I thought:

Ukraine's Defense Intelligence Agency announced an award of $2,000,000 USD and residence in a NATO country of choice for the entire family to any Russian pilot who defects to Ukraine in a Mig-31 armed with Kinzhal missile. Last month, a Mi-8 helicopter pilot defected to Ukraine.

Pretty tempting. But I'd need a bit more than a change of address before I'd do it.
The Canadian prairies have a pretty large ethnic Ukrainian population, and if you can handle the winters, quality of life can be quite good in Calgary or Edmonton.

Old 09-09-2023, 10:10 PM

25,733 posts, read 17,496,059 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pretty funny, I thought:

Ukraine's Defense Intelligence Agency announced an award of $2,000,000 USD and residence in a NATO country of choice for the entire family to any Russian pilot who defects to Ukraine in a Mig-31 armed with Kinzhal missile. Last month, a Mi-8 helicopter pilot defected to Ukraine.

Pretty tempting. But I'd need a bit more than a change of address before I'd do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The Canadian prairies have a pretty large ethnic Ukrainian population, and if you can handle the winters, quality of life can be quite good in Calgary or Edmonton.
... And we must assume our hypothetical Russian can handle some really cold winters! Probably be right at home in Calgary.
The problem would be that darn Russian accent detected by Ukrainians. They're goona want to know just what the hell a Russian is doing in their midst. And he can't tell them, or the game is over when Putin sends someone to visit.
It's got to be hell, living in a world where everyone sells out everyone else. Someone finds out you made $2M by selling out Russia, so that person sees a way to cash in by selling you out.

I'm afraid the best chance for our Russian pilot is to move to Loachapoka, AL, here in the US, change his name, tell everyone he is Polish and open up a hardware store.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:07 AM

update from the front..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLO5kE0D1z8

Old 09-10-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
So let me get this straight. The Ukrainians are now occupying and utilizing the fortifications...that The Russians built...so they can fend off Russian counteroffensives more easily? Which means the rate of attrition now favors Ukraine in this area because they have defense fortifications and its the Russians having to face attrition rates of an attacking force. And Russia apparently doesn't have the combat power to push back the Ukrainian forces in these defense fortifications because the Ukrainians are still moving forward. Genius at work.

You know Prigozhin's coup aimed at removing Gerasimov and Shoigu is beginning to make alot more sense. I would give anything to hear Surovikin's unfiltered views on the current state of affairs regarding His depth of defense strategy.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:50 PM

well the military talking heads seem to think there is another month, maybe two before winter weather bogs down both sides..if Ukraine gets closer to the sea of Azov and ATACMS arrive in time maybe they'll be able to cut the land bridge to Crimea..time will tell..

Old 09-10-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
well the military talking heads seem to think there is another month, maybe two before winter weather bogs down both sides..if Ukraine gets closer to the sea of Azov and ATACMS arrive in time maybe they'll be able to cut the land bridge to Crimea..time will tell..
Yep, that is what Milley is saying but here is the thing. They are in the southern part of Ukraine and it's dry through the end of the year. Here is the weather by month so I don't quite understand where he's coming from unless he is talking about other fronts, In Tokmok there is simply not that much precipitation or days of rain. Climate looks favorable going into Dec.

Old 09-10-2023, 01:48 PM
bu2

24,184 posts, read 15,032,389 times
I wonder if some of this isn't deliberate misdirection. Possibly the Ukrainians goal isn't Tokmak and Melitopol, but Mariopul and the Russian border of Donetsk Oblast. Either way cuts off supply lines to Russians in Crimea and Kherson. And the Russians clearly aren't nearly as prepared in that direction. When they attacked in Kharkiv, they convinced the Russians they were going to attack in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies