Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2022, 08:44 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,118,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statebw View Post
Define "part of."

An American citizen over the age of 18, who is not currently incarcerated.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:45 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,610,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
How do you confiscate 300 million guns?

No other developed country had 300 million guns to ban or confiscate.
Australia was able to do it, and without "jackboots at the doorstep" enforcement.

https://wiki2.org/en/Gun_laws_of_Australia

They didn't confiscate all firearms, they had two buy back programs for certain types. They regulated WHO can get a license, and that includes firearms licences for a legal reason, such as hunting, sport shooting, pest control, collecting and for farmers and farm workers.

Guess how many school shootings Australia has had since they instituted these laws in 1996?

One, at Monash University inn 2002. Two died, 5 were injured. In the USA that is called Tuesday.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:56 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,610,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"And gun owners do not refer to the weapons as 'semiautomatic' but the more exact 'autoloaders'.

NOT in my hunting experience in my lifetime of over 30 years of hunting.

Must be a colloquial thing.
In my part of the world, yes, they are called "Semi-automatic" or often, "Semi". No one uses the term auto-loader. In fact, none of the clients that come duck hunting in Canada I've guided ever used the term "auto-loader", so I think I have a pretty good sense of what terms are used.

Like these, all semis:

And I support training, screening, and licensing of gun owners. It hasn't restricted any of my activities, or those I guide in the fall.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:15 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,072,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
We have a problem keeping guns out of the hands of mass killers. I like the idea of raising the legal age to 21 or even 25. It won't stop a criminal but it will probably stop a nutter. At the very least we need to keep our kids safe while their in school.

What makes you so sure of that?

In a country where they restrict guns, they still have ways for people to off masses
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsumoto_sarin_attack

Or even "more common" ways to off others without guns
https://riverview.org/downloads/pdfs...esentation.pdf

To say nothing of other non firearms ways of killing people.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:18 AM

3,736 posts, read 5,791,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Australia was able to do it, and without "jackboots at the doorstep" enforcement.

https://wiki2.org/en/Gun_laws_of_Australia

They didn't confiscate all firearms, they had two buy back programs for certain types. They regulated WHO can get a license, and that includes firearms licences for a legal reason, such as hunting, sport shooting, pest control, collecting and for farmers and farm workers.

Guess how many school shootings Australia has had since they instituted these laws in 1996?

One, at Monash University inn 2002. Two died, 5 were injured. In the USA that is called Tuesday.

Excuse me, but do you not realize what's being done to Australia and Australians, right now? In case you didn't know, Australia has been turned into a totalitarian nightmare, and the entire nation seems to have been sold out-from-under the Australian People, to a hostile foreign power. The changes began, right after the guns were confiscated.

Now, the populace is helpless to do anything about it.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,657,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Excuse me, but do you not realize what's being done to Australia and Australians, right now? In case you didn't know, Australia has been turned into a totalitarian nightmare, and the entire nation seems to have been sold out-from-under the Australian People, to a hostile foreign power. The changes began, right after the guns were confiscated.

Now, the populace is helpless to do anything about it.
Ah, but you are forgetting, its being done under the guise of SAFETY!

Thats how it will happen in the US too...(see all the concern for school safety?)

Old 05-27-2022, 09:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,373,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" and it applies to weapons that are hand held and in common use."

Really?

Provide fore us WHERE they defined "weapons that are hand held".

They did NOT ban warships or cannons which PRIVATE CITIZENS owned at the time.

Pretty had to hold a cannon or warship in your hand.

President Thomas Jefferson BOUGHT, with FEDERAL MONEY 2 SEMI-AUTOMATICS and gave them to TWO civilians, Lewis and Clark.

I'll go by their ACTUAL quotes and actions NOT, what any court says.

As we know, many judges are POLITICAL.
I'm fully aware that: "They did NOT ban warships or cannons which PRIVATE CITIZENS owned at the time".

I'm just referring to what the actual ruling said. I'm not an associate justice on the Supreme Court. I didn't write the opinion. Why are you blaming me? Perhaps you should take the time to read the ruling before commenting. It's not a matter of agreeing with the ruling or not? IT IS WHAT THEY RULED!!! If you want to own your own warship or cannon take it up with the court. Obviously many judges are political often times they'll do the bidding of those who appointed them. Unfortunately their rulings carry the force of law whether we agree with them or not. Don't blame me, BLAME THE SYSTEM.

For what it's worth I agree with you. But for some reason you just love to argue just for the sake of arguing. Either that or you just don't take the time to comprehend what some people are posting and just jump to conclusions.

Quote:
”Obviously the amendment does not apply to arms that can not be HAND CARRIED--It's to keep and 'bear' so it doesn't apply to cannons. But I suppose there are hand held rocket launchers that can bring down airplanes, that will have to be decided."-- "The 2nd Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding."--- Antonin Scalia (Heller vs DC) www.law.cornell.edu/suplt
Quote:
The Supreme Court and the Second Amendment: Understanding the ...
Aug 13, 2019 · The Court ruled that only weapons “in common use” like handguns are protected by the Second Amendment https://libertarianinstitute.org/art...t-cases-guide/

Old 05-27-2022, 09:35 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,208,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
We can legally protect property.
From the newspaper today:
Quote:
EVERGREEN PARK, Ill, -- A Chicago police sergeant is facing dismissal for allegedly opening fire on a group of thieves who stole her SUV outside of an Evergreen Park grocery store last October.
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-poli...rney/11900193/

The cop shot at carjackers driving away. She is criminally charged with reckless discharge of a firearm.

Folks do not understand self-defense or defense of property.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:37 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statebw View Post
That's not defining what I asked. That's simply a group of people.

The today's Militia.

The SC had ruled that service in or connection to the military is not a requirement to exercise 2A rights.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,657,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I'm fully aware that: "They did NOT ban warships or cannons which PRIVATE CITIZENS owned at the time".

I'm just referring to what the actual ruling said. I'm not an associate justice on the Supreme Court. I didn't write the opinion. Why are you blaming me? Perhaps you should take the time to read the ruling before commenting. It's not a matter of agreeing with the ruling or not? IT IS WHAT THEY RULED!!! If you want to own your own warship or cannon take it up with the court. Obviously many judges are political often times they'll do the bidding of those who appointed them. Unfortunately their rulings carry the force of law whether we agree with them or not. Don't blame me, BLAME THE SYSTEM.
The govt pays the SCOTUS justices salaries for petes sake...Of course the SC is going to side with the govt.

Its a huge conflict of interest.

It would be like a company paying the salary of the judge in a corp trial...it would never be permitted, because its a conflict of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies