Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 02:47 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times

Advertisements

Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro is convicted of contempt of Congress in Jan. 6 investigation

The two counts each carry a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of one year in prison, in addition to a maximum fine of $100,000.

WASHINGTON — Former Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro was convicted Thursday of criminal contempt of Congress for failing to comply with a congressional subpoena related to the plot to overturn the 2020 election.

The jury deliberated for about four hours before finding Navarro, 74, guilty of two counts of contempt for refusing to testify before the House Jan. 6 committee and turn over subpoenaed documents.

U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta scheduled his sentencing for Jan. 12.

The two counts each carry a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of one year in prison, in addition to a maximum fine of $100,000.

“There’s no mistake, no accident,” prosecutor John Crabb told jurors in the Washington, D.C. federal courtroom during closing arguments Thursday morning.

“That man thinks he’s above the law,” Crabb said. “In this country, nobody is above the law."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...mpt-rcna103790
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 02:48 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Navarro's lawyer, Stan Woodward, wants a mistrial, claiming the jury may have seen Jan. 6-related protests occurring outside the building just prior to issuing their verdict. Yeah, good luck with that, Stan. As if seeing a few people protesting was enough to nullify all of the evidence they were presented with at trial.

Maybe Jim Jordan is next?

Old 09-07-2023, 05:26 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
2 day trial, 4 hours of deliberation. Bye-bye Navarro. Next time don't hitch your wagon to an idiot-in-chief.

Old 09-07-2023, 05:40 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Navarro's lawyer, Stan Woodward, wants a mistrial, claiming the jury may have seen Jan. 6-related protests occurring outside the building just prior to issuing their verdict. Yeah, good luck with that, Stan. As if seeing a few people protesting was enough to nullify all of the evidence they were presented with at trial.

Maybe Jim Jordan is next?
I hope so.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:23 PM

Reading this title gave me a chuckle.

Navaros getting indicted is indeed a Right thing.

Apparently, getting convicted is also a Right thing.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-07-2023 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-07-2023, 09:46 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Reading this title gave me a chuckle.

Navaros getting indicted is indeed a Right thing.

Apparently, getting convicted is also a Right thing.

The title gave me a chuckle because this forum is full of thousands of posts about how "all Dems are evil commies out to destroy America" and many of those posts were contributed by the very person who wrote that title.

Yet Navarro himself was ALWAYS a card-carrying Democrat until Jared told Trump to hire Navarro as an economic advisor.

It cracks me up how so many people in this forum don't seem to do the smallest amount of research about the background of the people they're spending all this time and energy defending as "right" while simultaneously lambasting "all" people with that very background as evil and deranged.

It's a hoot!

(Full disclosure: I happen to think Navarro IS deranged. I speak from personal experience having listened to him rant when he ran for mayor of San Diego AS A DEM multiple times. He was too crazy for BOTH Dems and Republicans here to ever get elected. Many of us thought it was some type of practical joke when Trump announced Pete was going to be his "economic adviser.")

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-07-2023 at 09:56 PM..

Old 09-08-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The title gave me a chuckle because this forum is full of thousands of posts about how "all Dems are evil commies out to destroy America" and many of those posts were contributed by the very person who wrote that title.

Yet Navarro himself was ALWAYS a card-carrying Democrat until Jared told Trump to hire Navarro as an economic advisor.

It cracks me up how so many people in this forum don't seem to do the smallest amount of research about the background of the people they're spending all this time and energy defending as "right" while simultaneously lambasting "all" people with that very background as evil and deranged.

It's a hoot!

(Full disclosure: I happen to think Navarro IS deranged. I speak from personal experience having listened to him rant when he ran for mayor of San Diego AS A DEM multiple times. He was too crazy for BOTH Dems and Republicans here to ever get elected. Many of us thought it was some type of practical joke when Trump announced Pete was going to be his "economic adviser.")
Too funny.

Old 09-08-2023, 12:00 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
For those of you kool aid drinkers that don't understand process. A federal grand jury is assembled from every day people. A group of peers if you will. There are between 16 and 23 people, 12 of which must agree to recommend indictments. They review the prosecutors evidence. They decide. Nope not Biden, not the court of sore losers public opinions, just the jurors. The next step is to convene a trial jury if indictments are indeed issued. They decide guilt or innocence. Navarro lost. You either respect or rule of law or go live somewhere else where you think life is better.

Bannon got sentenced to 4 months for doing exactly what Navarro did. He is still out on appeal. Rich people who scam MAGA's out of millions for that fake build the wall and get pardoned for it can afford to spend the coin. He fleeced the rubes for it.

Old 09-08-2023, 12:17 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
For those of you kool aid drinkers that don't understand process. A federal grand jury is assembled from every day people. A group of peers if you will.
lol! 'every day people' from washington dc, who overwhelmingly coddle anything with a 'd' and despise anything with an 'r' and voted for biden by 92% vs. 4% for trump

there's kool-aide involved here, but you've apparently hogged it all.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
I haven't seen the sentencing yet, Navarro's team is claiming that the jury may have been influenced by protesters.

Hysterical that he thinks he is some sort of freedom fighter, didn't he see what happened to Bannon for ignoring a subpoena. Now he's complaining he is going broke because of his legal defense, what a waste of time and money,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ju...ns/ar-AA1gDL7k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies