Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the voting age be raised to 21?
Yes, raise the voting age to 21 87 58.00%
No, keep the voting age at 18 63 42.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 11:44 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times

Advertisements

How about 65 for a minimum age? A lifetime of experience. Our elderly will be taken care of. We would much less likely get into wars. People who vote will have children and grand children to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 11:46 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Military at age 18. At entry level it's more physical brawn than brain. They take orders so they don't have to think for themselves.

Voting at age 21. They need life experience and the ability to think for themselves and make decisions.

Serving in the military is not the same as voting so don't say, "if they can fight, they should be able to vote."
If someone is old enough to be forced to give up their life for their country they are old enough to participate in deciding who gets to make that decision.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:50 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Eliminating the 18-20 age group from voting wouldn't make much difference, since they don't vote in large numbers even in college towns where they don't even vote when it may be in their best interest to do so, like on a vote to raise city sales tax. The only issue I see that age group coming out in big numbers is to lower the beer drinking age to 18.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:56 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Eliminating the 18-20 age group from voting wouldn't make much difference, since they don't vote in large numbers even in college towns where they don't even vote when it may be in their best interest to do so, like on a vote to raise city sales tax. The only issue I see that age group coming out in big numbers is to lower the beer drinking age to 18.
2020 election had a very high turn out.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:03 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
and military joining age should be raise to 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
No...I have always felt that if you can die for your country at 18, then you should be able to purchase alcohol/tobacco and do everything else an adult can do.

I've heard people talk about lowering voting age to 16, and that I would not be for. But it should be left at 18
Exactly.

NO, I am not for lowering the age, but 18 should be for everything or nothing.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:05 PM

10,476 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Heck, I think only those who return W2 should be the only ones allowed to vote.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:10 PM

187 posts, read 68,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Military at age 18. At entry level it's more physical brawn than brain. They take orders so they don't have to think for themselves.

Voting at age 21. They need life experience and the ability to think for themselves and make decisions.

Serving in the military is not the same as voting so don't say, "if they can fight, they should be able to vote."

That is a good point about physical vs mental capability. Also with the military having a difficult time in recruiting healthy soldiers, maybe increasing the age would be a bad idea.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:15 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_modern_philosopher View Post
That is a good point about physical vs mental capability. Also with the military having a difficult time in recruiting healthy soldiers, maybe increasing the age would be a bad idea.
We'd be in fewer pointless wars with a less bloated military and more mature soldiers. Especially not needed now as we are trending away from complex large platforms to simple drones and the like.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:16 PM

187 posts, read 68,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Heck, I think only those who return W2 should be the only ones allowed to vote.

Not a bad idea, I will one up you, plus no government assistance such as EBT, WIK, etc. SS not included.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:19 PM

10,476 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_modern_philosopher View Post
Not a bad idea, I will one up you, plus no government assistance such as EBT, WIK, etc. SS not included.
Agreed. It's all too easy for the peasants to literally toss our freedoms and rights away for a little bowl of soup when they themselves have no skin in the game. And by the time they realise what a grave mistake they made it's too late, and the peasants are often the first ones pushed into the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies