Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the voting age be raised to 21?
Yes, raise the voting age to 21 87 58.00%
No, keep the voting age at 18 63 42.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 05:47 AM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times

Advertisements

America’s youth isn’t maturing like in previous generations. I enlisted into the Army one week after my 17th birthday, back in 1980 and served 13 years on Active Duty and another 17 years in the Reserves and I can attest that within today’s youth, 18-20, there is a large percentage that are not mature enough to enlist.

So, I support moving every thing to 21 for today’s youth. But!! If an 17-20 is serving on Active Duty, they should be able to drink, buy a firearm and vote.

Sorry, but going to college or living in mom’s basement isn’t enough to prove, at any level, that you possess a high level of maturity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 05:55 AM

6,026 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
America’s youth isn’t maturing like in previous generations. I enlisted into the Army one week after my 17th birthday, back in 1980 and served 13 years on Active Duty and another 17 years in the Reserves and I can attest that within today’s youth, 18-20, there is a large percentage that are not mature enough to enlist.

So, I support moving every thing to 21 for today’s youth. But!! If an 17-20 is serving on Active Duty, they should be able to drink, buy a firearm and vote.

Sorry, but going to college or living in mom’s basement isn’t enough to prove, at any level, that you possess a high level of maturity
Absolutely!!! Best post of the week... or possibly of the YEAR!!

Old 06-04-2022, 05:56 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,993,405 times
Everyone should be required to successfully complete a basic economic course before being allowed to vote. Every politician running for national office should be required to successfully complete several advanced economic courses.

Old 06-04-2022, 05:57 AM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
It's a long establish fact that young people have poor judgement and poor decision making skills. In fact, it's widely believed that many people don't possess adult-level judgement/reasoning skills until the age of 25. The recent student loan crisis has driven this point home - an 18 year old simply doesn't have the reasoning skills to make good decisions. Recent generations have the advantage of having massive amounts of information at their finger tips (thanks to the internet), but still make poor decisions that can have life altering consequences. I think 25 is reasonable age at which people should be allowed to vote, join the military, purchase alcohol, etc.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:04 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Some people keep making the argument that if you're old enough to serve your country in the military, then you're old enough to vote. OK, let all 18+ year olds who are in the military vote. Otherwise, if you're not serving your country in the military, then the minimum voting age is 21. Why should the remaining 97% of the youth who are NOT serving in the military get to vote just because a few of their friends took it upon themselves to join the military?
Then raise the minimum age for voting and military service to 21 across the board. One way or the other, but what you are proposing smacks of the literary tests that were once used to discourage blacks and poor whites from voting.

How about instead, at age 18 you perform two years of government service whether in the military or in alternate civilian duties? That would also provide job experience for youth. After you serve your hitch, you can go to college paid for by the government so that we maintain an educated work force.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:13 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,993,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Then raise the minimum age for voting and military service to 21 across the board. One way or the other, but what you are proposing smacks of the literary tests that were once used to discourage blacks and poor whites from voting.

How about instead, at age 18 you perform two years of government service whether in the military or in alternate civilian duties? That would also provide job experience for youth. After you serve your hitch, you can go to college paid for by the government so that we maintain an educated work force.

Unfortunately a large portion of the voters do not have the knowledge to cast intelligent votes. That is why our political system is such a mess.

If we want to have a good government, economy, and country we would need to go far beyond just literary tests.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times
Quote:
Best idea I've heard so far.

In traditional social models, the Elders chose the Chief. They had good chiefs.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:38 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I believe this is a lead into a gun age ownership thing. But anyway let’s raise the voting age to 25 for men and 30 for women.
Why?

Old 06-04-2022, 06:42 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Well, they are saying your brain is not fully developed untill you are 25......so voting age should be 25. That is why we have biden as president......to many people with under developed brains voting.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:44 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:

I agree with the comparison to literary tests but the second part will never fly. Even a modern interpretation of the WPA ensuring some type of public service will be rife with corruption on one end and fought tooth and nail against it at the other. Its a good idea but only for other kids, not my child if you know what I mean...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies