Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the voting age be raised to 21?
Yes, raise the voting age to 21 87 58.00%
No, keep the voting age at 18 63 42.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 04:29 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The under-40s I know and work with would agree with your assessment 100%. They are damned tired of republicans, period, and they all know how to find the polling place nearest to them. I don't personally know of but one of them who doesn't have any interest in politics. Right now they are pissed off because of the RvW leak from SCOTUS and the utter inaction and indifference of republicans to meaningful gun control and the rights of children to be able to go to school with some assurance they won't die there because some crackpot had unfettered access to a firearm.

There are between 75-80 million Millennials and after now that are of voting age, and another three million a year aging into the process. You will see them every November there is an election from here on out, and they will soon have enough power to elect the people they want to see. Politicians had best either appease them or get out of the way.
We already have laws in place for background checks on gun purchasers so just what do these under 40's want? I don't know of a single Republican who opposes that so what are they supposedly mad that the Republicans for? What makes you think that all gun owners are Republicans anyway? A stupid leak by a SC judge whom we don't even know who leaked it makes the under 40's mad at the Republicans? Huh?

Yet these under 40's aren't mad at Biden and the Democrats about the horrible inflation and skyrocketing prices under this administration? They aren't mad about the millions of illegal aliens and bogus asylum seekers that are violating our borders and being given housing, food, etc. compliments of the taxpayer under Biden? Are the under 40's really that stupid? Seems like they have their priorities all screwed up. I hate to think that they do vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 05:37 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We already have laws in place for background checks on gun purchasers so just what do these under 40's want? I don't know of a single Republican who opposes that so what are they supposedly mad that the Republicans for? What makes you think that all gun owners are Republicans anyway? A stupid leak by a SC judge whom we don't even know who leaked it makes the under 40's mad at the Republicans? Huh?

Yet these under 40's aren't mad at Biden and the Democrats about the horrible inflation and skyrocketing prices under this administration? They aren't mad about the millions of illegal aliens and bogus asylum seekers that are violating our borders and being given housing, food, etc. compliments of the taxpayer under Biden? Are the under 40's really that stupid? Seems like they have their priorities all screwed up. I hate to think that they do vote!
Some of them want semiautomatic firearms eliminated entirely. Some want all guns eliminated entirely, and 2A repealed. All of them want AR-15s and all guns like them eliminated. None of them want their children to live in fear of simply going out in public and doing what they are supposed to be doing. My own children are furious that their children are forced to go through active shooter drills because republicans are taking millions in blood money from the NRA and refuse to give a damn about the kids.

All you need to do is come up with a plan that keeps guns and also keeps children safe at the same time, and you can solve the problem. If not it is going to be one or the other, and it won't be many more years until they get what they want.

Old 06-04-2022, 05:42 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
The under-40s I know and work with would agree with your assessment 100%. They are damned tired of republicans, period, and they all know how to find the polling place nearest to them. I don't personally know of but one of them who doesn't have any interest in politics. Right now they are pissed off because of the RvW leak from SCOTUS and the utter inaction and indifference of republicans to meaningful gun control and the rights of children to be able to go to school with some assurance they won't die there because some crackpot had unfettered access to a firearm.

There are between 75-80 million Millennials and after now that are of voting age, and another three million a year aging into the process. You will see them every November there is an election from here on out, and they will soon have enough power to elect the people they want to see. Politicians had best either appease them or get out of the way.
You've just made the perfect case as to why the voting age should be raised to 40. Rest assured, your under 40 coworkers will grow out of their idiotic liberal idealogy. Things like paying a mortgage, raising children, etc., tends to make people more conservative - because they've actually lived life and aren't sitting in their Mom's basement making plans to attend the next whine-a-thon that comes to town.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:00 PM

6,005 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Some of them want semiautomatic firearms eliminated entirely. Some want all guns eliminated entirely, and 2A repealed. All of them want AR-15s and all guns like them eliminated. None of them want their children to live in fear of simply going out in public and doing what they are supposed to be doing. My own children are furious that their children are forced to go through active shooter drills because republicans are taking millions in blood money from the NRA and refuse to give a damn about the kids.

All you need to do is come up with a plan that keeps guns and also keeps children safe at the same time, and you can solve the problem. If not it is going to be one or the other, and it won't be many more years until they get what they want.
What makes you think that passing more laws is going to change anything? You're the one who is crazy if you think that passing some law is going to make all guns disappear from our country. There's a reason they call criminals "criminals". It's because they don't obey the laws.

If all the law abiding citizens turned in their guns (never going to happen), then what is to stop or even deter home invasion type crimes? The criminals would know that Mr and Mrs homeowner have no weapons other than perhaps a kitchen knife, so the criminals would be free to do as they wish whenever they wish.

How many single women living alone would ever feel safe or be safe from attack in their own home or apartment? Keep in mind that the simple fact that most adults today are allowed to own guns has a considerable deterrent effect even if some individuals don't actually own a gun.

The criminals don't know who does or who doesn't own a gun. That simple fact helps protect even those who don't own a gun. Or perhaps you would like to post a big sign on your front door to the effect that "No Guns In This House". That would certainly tell everyone how you really feel about guns, right?

Old 06-04-2022, 06:06 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
So the justification is if they can vote at 18 they should be a able to buy AR-15's. I can live with a bad vote but I can't live with children slaughtered in the classroom.
No - some weapons should not be just sold. Can’t buy a car without a drivers license in Fl at least. I can’t buy a bazooka or fire thrower and use it as a weapon of choice. Our speed is limited on a road. We have many limitations - maybe these need to have limitations too. I’m not at all for buying on line. I’m sure I’ll get yelled at for that. But - however you cut it, what we have now, is not working, and children are paying the price.
God set limitations as He saw we are just wild. We need rules and limits.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
No - some weapons should not be just sold. Can’t buy a car without a drivers license in Fl at least. I can’t buy a bazooka or fire thrower and use it as a weapon of choice. Our speed is limited on a road. We have many limitations - maybe these need to have limitations too. I’m not at all for buying on line. I’m sure I’ll get yelled at for that. But - however you cut it, what we have now, is not working, and children are paying the price.
So what limitations would you propose to set on the ownership or sale of guns? There's not a gun made that WON'T kill a person. Some are just more deadly than others. So, if you selectively propose the elimination of certain guns, you're not really preventing anyone from being killed. There will still be guns available to those who want them. And meanwhile, you're depriving the 99.9% of people who are law abiding of their legitimate use of that gun for self protection or whatever legitimate use they may have.

While you're making things illegal, what do you propose to do about cars? Lots of kids killed every year in motor vehicle accidents. What about drugs? Over 100,000 deaths ANNUALLY in the US from drug overdoses. That's about 5 times the number murdered by guns in the US. Heck, there are more suicides by gun in the US than there are murders by guns. Maybe we should make suicide by gun illegal?

Old 06-04-2022, 06:45 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
No, I do not support raising the voting age to 21. I voted in my first election in 1972, when the 18 year olds got the vote, so I am going to deny others.

We have people twice and three times 18 years old, and they aren't making informed decisions when they vote. Some people never mature, and some are mature by 18 years old, or at least they used to be when kids had responsibilities and were taught to respect what our country stood for.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No, I do not support raising the voting age to 21. I voted in my first election in 1972, when the 18 year olds got the vote, so I am going to deny others.

We have people twice and three times 18 years old, and they aren't making informed decisions when they vote. Some people never mature, and some are mature by 18 years old, or at least they used to be when kids had responsibilities and were taught to respect what our country stood for.
Well, there you go. It's been at least 50 years since most 18 year olds had responsibilities and respect for what our country stands for. While there is no magic number for attaining respect and accepting responsibilities, there is a somewhat better chance that a 21 year old would meet the criteria than an 18 year old.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:22 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You can buy both a bazooka and a flamethrower. It’s expensive and there’s a lot of red tape, but you can buy either. For that matter, building a flamethrower is something that any teenager who took welding in shop class and has some basic tools could do. We had a homemade flamethrower on the family farm for burning out fence rows. I won’t say how the fuel was made, but it only took a couple of ingredients and worked as well as napalm, according to my Vietnam Vet father.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:34 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
What makes you think that passing more laws is going to change anything? You're the one who is crazy if you think that passing some law is going to make all guns disappear from our country. There's a reason they call criminals "criminals". It's because they don't obey the laws.

If all the law abiding citizens turned in their guns (never going to happen), then what is to stop or even deter home invasion type crimes? The criminals would know that Mr and Mrs homeowner have no weapons other than perhaps a kitchen knife, so the criminals would be free to do as they wish whenever they wish.

How many single women living alone would ever feel safe or be safe from attack in their own home or apartment? Keep in mind that the simple fact that most adults today are allowed to own guns has a considerable deterrent effect even if some individuals don't actually own a gun.

The criminals don't know who does or who doesn't own a gun. That simple fact helps protect even those who don't own a gun. Or perhaps you would like to post a big sign on your front door to the effect that "No Guns In This House". That would certainly tell everyone how you really feel about guns, right?
Ask the millennials. They are the ones who will make the final decisions, probably within the next decade or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies