Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the voting age be raised to 21?
Yes, raise the voting age to 21 87 58.00%
No, keep the voting age at 18 63 42.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 02:58 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Again, this is how I see it. If you are old enough to serve in the army, if you're old enough to be sent to the death penalty, you're old enough to vote. Period. Anyone who disagrees with me has a very warped idea of what adulthood is.

My opinion. Alot of people who want the voting age raised only want it because they figure "18 year olds are far less likely to vote Republican than 21 year-olds".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 10:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Again, this is how I see it. If you are old enough to serve in the army, if you're old enough to be sent to the death penalty, you're old enough to vote. Period. Anyone who disagrees with me has a very warped idea of what adulthood is.

My opinion. Alot of people who want the voting age raised only want it because they figure "18 year olds are far less likely to vote Republican than 21 year-olds".
Yes, that is at least 110% true. No wonder why, in my small rural town the precincts made up mainly of college students vote in favor of the Democrat candidates. It helps explain why my state rep has been a Democrat for a long time. My state senator is a Republican because the senate district is much bigger and so is also made up of Republican small towns and rural Republican precincts. My Democrat state rep didn't dare try to run as state senator because of that.

Old 06-10-2022, 02:30 AM

13,272 posts, read 7,321,255 times
What you guys want is if they vote republican they can vote at 18 if you vote democrat then 25 or maybe 55.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:12 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:

I agree 100%

I'm as Conservative as one can get and I've voted Republican ever since I turned 18. I also don't believe that they should raise the age to 21 in order to lawfully buy or possess a semi automatic rifle. Just because of the actions of a few. The overwhelming and vast majority of those between the ages of 18 and 21 will never go out and murder anyone. Why should they be the scapegoats?

Quote:
“A law which restricts the liberty of the innocent because of the behavior of the guilty, that rests on the principle that the conduct of criminals [or psychos] dictates the scope of liberty for the rest of society, in no sense ‘fights’ crime.”
For society has permitted its fear of crime, and craving for safety, to turn the force of law against the innocent and law-abiding. Far from fighting crime, the criminalization of otherwise innocent activities represents a society in retreat from crime. This is a society desperately accommodating itself to crime.”
— Jeff Snyder

Old 06-10-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
This is how I see what you call peasants. Peasants have some skin in the game themselves. They are trying to survive. One way to get a peasant to understand freedom is to put the peasant in a position where he/she can easily do for himself/herself.

I also notice this. There are people in the middle class who will throw away rights and freedoms for their own perceived security.

And they end up getting neither freedom or security.

Quote:
It is more than obvious that this famous Benjamin Franklin quote has lost its meaning in the 21st century. Franklin said: “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

There is no doubt that the original design of a Constitutional Republic of the United States of America no longer exists. It has evolved into a democracy and an oligarchy which is now threatening to become a dictatorship from the way things are going.--https://culturallegacy.org/those-that-give-up-freedom-for-safety-deserve-neither/

Old 06-10-2022, 12:35 PM

908 posts, read 442,340 times
Quote:

The question is are all adults qualified to vote merely as the result of being adults ?

I mean does the simple fact of being an adult give one the knowledge to make proper decisions about the oftentimes incredibly complex issues which arise in contemporary politics ?

Military service and capital punishment are totally immaterial factors here IMHO , since being able to serve in the armed forces/be executed have nothing to do with being able to make proper political decisions .

And FWIW I'm not in the least a supporter of the Republican party , in fact one of the main reasons as to why I oppose democracy is because I completely abhor the idea of political parties being allowed to take part in political decision making .

Old 06-10-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If someone is old enough to be forced to give up their life for their country they are old enough to participate in deciding who gets to make that decision.

Then there are those that are not forced to join the military. They volunteer to serve our country whether it be in peacetime or in war. It would be criminal not allowing them to vote.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:54 PM

908 posts, read 442,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

And they end up getting neither freedom or security.

With respect to the quote in your post , I must ask how are we to restore the Constitutional Republic of old if we do not restrict the franchise ?

As everyone knows the ability to vote had numerous limitations ( especially before 1828 ) and as such the vast extension of the franchise we see today , would have been unthinkable to any of the Founders .

That's not to say that all limitations related to voting that have been struck down should be revived , f.ex I am not in the least in favor of reinstating those limitations which applied to race/gender , however the current system of allowing just about anyone who is 18 and has a pulse the right to vote is amongst the most serious blows which have been dealt to our formerly existing Republic .

To quote John Adams " Democracy, simple democracy, never had a patron among men of letters. The people have almost always expected to be served gratis, and to be paid for the honor of serving them, and their applause and adoration are bestowed too often on artifice and tricks, on hypocrisy and superstition, on flattery, bribes and largesses " .

In short I do not see how we can return to constitutional republicanism without limiting the franchise , since we'll always be a few steps short of ( say ) the masses overthrowing the Bill of Rights via democratic fiat .

Old 06-10-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
The question is are all adults qualified to vote merely as the result of being adults ?

I mean does the simple fact of being an adult give one the knowledge to make proper decisions about the oftentimes incredibly complex issues which arise in contemporary politics ?

Military service and capital punishment are totally immaterial factors here IMHO , since being able to serve in the armed forces/be executed have nothing to do with being able to make proper political decisions .

And FWIW I'm not in the least a supporter of the Republican party , in fact one of the main reasons as to why I oppose democracy is because I completely abhor the idea of political parties being allowed to take part in political decision making .
No whether they are 18 or 80.

As far as the military goes you can't expect to ask or force someone to go fight and die for the principles of which our great nation was founded while not allowing them to engage in any one of them. It's just the price that we have to pay for freedom and the right to vote for whomever best represents what an individual believes in politically.

I vote for and support the Republican Party because they best align with my political beliefs. Not only that but I detest and loathe the Democrat Party and damn near everything that they stand for. I consider myself to be a Constitutionalist, an originalist. That the Constitution is the law of the land as it was intended to be and not something that can be legislated away by activist justices on the courts. I too am against Democracy as it is nothing more than mob rule. Unfortunately somebody has to make political decisions otherwise we'd have total anarchy. But those decisions have to be made according to Constitutional Law. Many of them are not and have to be fought over in a long protracted and expensive court fight.

The biggest problem we have is the corruption in government as it is a very lucrative business. Politicians will lie, cheat, steal and prostitute themselves to the lowest common denominator for some crummy little public office. That's true for both political parties from the local level on up. Unfortunately we have a two tiered system of justice in this country. If you're a Democrat politician you can get away with anything. If you're a Republican politician you'll be tried and convicted in the court of public opinion aided and abetted by an all too willing media.

How the hell is it that Hunter Biden can get away with deliberately lying on Federal Form 4473 in order to illegally purchase a handgun which is a federal crime punishable by 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine? While his old man is out there pushing for gun control laws that will only serve to criminalize people's lawfully owned property and activities? Or Hillary Clinton weaponizing the FBI against her political opponent with false allegations about Russian collusion aided and abetted by an all too willing media.

Quote:
www.americanlibertyreportnews.com › articles Democrats: Using the FBI to Spy on Political Opponents for 80 ...
Democrats have been using American law enforcement and intelligence agencies to try to break and defeat their opponents for more than 80 years. Will Donald Trump finally be the conservative with the backbone to withstand their attacks? Or will The Swamp consume another innocent victim in order to protect itself?

www.cnn.com › 2022/05/20 › politics Hillary Clinton personally approved plan to share Trump ...

Hillary Clinton personally approved her campaign’s plans in fall 2016 to share information with a reporter about an uncorroborated alleged server backchannel between Donald Trump and a top Russian bank, her former campaign manager testified Friday in federal court.

Robby Mook said he attended a meeting with other senior campaign officials where they learned about strange cyberactivity that suggested a relationship between the Trump Organization and Alfa Bank, which is based in Moscow. The group decided to share the information with a reporter, and Mook subsequently ran that decision by Clinton herself. “We discussed it with Hillary,” Mook said, later adding that “she agreed with the decision.”

www.investors.com › politics › editorials Russia-Trump Investigation: How Did Hillary Clinton Get FBI ...
Russia Scandal: Bit by bit, piece by piece, the growing scandal of the FBI's spying on the Trump campaign is being revealed for what it is: an effort to weaponize the federal intelligence bureaucracy for use by Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party.

Quote:
"In a Democracy, the majority rules. If the majority decided they wanted your bike, they could take it. In a Republic, the bike is your property and you do not owe it to anyone. It cannot be taken against your will, by law. America is a Constitutional Republic. Therefore, the Constitution is the law by which we are supposed to be protected. In a Republic, the individual is protected FROM the majority, by the Constitutional law. A Constitutional Republic is what we were given. It is up to us to KEEP it".
Quote:
"A pure unbridled democracy is a political system in which the majority enjoys absolute power by means of democratic elections. In an unvarnished democracy, unrestrained by a constitution, the majority can vote to impose tyranny on themselves and the minority opposition. They can vote to elect those who will infringe upon our inalienable God-given rights. Thomas Jefferson referred to this as elected despotism in Notes on the State of Virginia (also cited in Federalist 48 by Madison):"

Old 06-10-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
With respect to the quote in your post , I must ask how are we to restore the Constitutional Republic of old if we do not restrict the franchise ?

As everyone knows the ability to vote had numerous limitations ( especially before 1828 ) and as such the vast extension of the franchise we see today , would have been unthinkable to any of the Founders .

That's not to say that all limitations related to voting that have been struck down should be revived , f.ex I am not in the least in favor of reinstating those limitations which applied to race/gender , however the current system of allowing just about anyone who is 18 and has a pulse the right to vote is amongst the most serious blows which have been dealt to our formerly existing Republic .

To quote John Adams " Democracy, simple democracy, never had a patron among men of letters. The people have almost always expected to be served gratis, and to be paid for the honor of serving them, and their applause and adoration are bestowed too often on artifice and tricks, on hypocrisy and superstition, on flattery, bribes and largesses " .

In short I do not see how we can return to constitutional republicanism without limiting the franchise , since we'll always be a few steps short of ( say ) the masses overthrowing the Bill of Rights via democratic fiat .
That is indeed the problem and why I'd never be in favor of putting any conditions other than deliberately cheating on anyone's right to vote regardless if they are illiterate or not. Or based on race color or creed. We can't start picking and choosing who shall be allowed to vote as long as they are an American citizen and of the legal age to vote. In some state's and municipalities the Democrats are now allowing the illegal invaders to vote in local elections. Knowing full well that today's school board member, town councilman, mayor or even dog catcher. May become tomorrow's state assemblyman, state senator, governor, congressman, senator or even president.

I think that the biggest problem we have is an overwhelmingly willfully biased media that takes only one side. It's just too damn easy for them to manipulate the ignorant, lazy and uninformed to their political agenda. They're nothing more than a modern day ministry of propaganda and arm of the Democrat Party.

Another issue is our public education system along with colleges and universities that start indoctrinating children at a young age. Failing to teach them the principles of which this great country was originally founded. Every time I hear the word Democracy I wan't to puke. Yet it rolls off people's tongues as if it was 2nd nature. Even from people that are supposedly well educated. Our public education system feeds at the public trough it's no wonder that they're all for big government controlling our everyday lives. Now private colleges and universities want a piece of that action and will get their greedy little hands into it if the government takes over student loans. They will now be part of the public education system and have an unlimited resource of taxpayer dollars just for the asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies