Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you be watching the House January 6 Committee hearing?
YES-WATCHING 70 24.56%
NO-NOT WATCHING 215 75.44%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 11:02 AM

13,512 posts, read 4,323,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
First you people complain that a rioter gets shot leading a mob through a broken window, then you claim security was non-existing!

You are like a child that wonders in the middle of the movie. That is not what the response was about. The poster accused the President for failure of 3 hours and did "nothing" and I responded the responsibility of the security of Congress is with the D.C. police and Capitol Police Board. That's why Pelosi called on the Capitol Chief to quit.

Quote:
Are you not aware? The District of Columbia is not like a state, it's governor can not unilaterally call out the National Guard.
https://www.police1.com/officer-safe...SkwNBNvhfSHM1/

Old 07-20-2022, 11:07 AM

13,512 posts, read 4,323,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post

The next hearing is on Thursday Night Prime Time....which is the Prime Time of the Prime Time...so gauging how these hearings to many have lived up to and exceeded their expectations so far..
Maybe to you.
American apathy: Weak ratings for Jan. 6 hearings reveal voter priorities. https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...er-priorities/

Old 07-20-2022, 11:18 AM

7,825 posts, read 2,737,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Maybe to you.
American apathy: Weak ratings for Jan. 6 hearings reveal voter priorities. https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...er-priorities/
it's all how you look at it and your article is dated

The January 6 Hearings Are The Best Television Series Of The Summer

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadg...h=2eb95f2720d9

Quote:
In today’s fractionalized video landscape, the audience delivery for all six hearings averaged 12.3 million viewers. (The ratings are additive across several broadcast and cable news networks.) This was comparable to the average audience of the 2022 NBA Finals on ABC, the highest rated program in June. In addition, only the NFL averaged more primetime viewers on broadcast television in 2021-22. Among entertainment shows only NCIS at 10.9 million and the FBI at 10.3 million averaged over ten million viewers for the season.
Thursday's ratings should be interesting. Face it people are watching.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:21 AM

50,945 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Maybe to you.
Or it reveals that most people are working during the day when the hearings have been held.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:21 AM

I think this is the biggest impact of these hearings on Trump supporters

‘It’s the accumulation’: The Jan. 6 hearings are wounding Trump, after all
Republican insiders say the cumulative effective of the hearings has been to erode support for the former president, at least on the margins

Quote:
In a series of focus groups with 2020 Trump supporters from across the country since the riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2001, Sarah Longwell, a moderate Republican strategist who became a vocal supporter of Joe Biden in 2020, for more than a year found about half of participants consistently said they wanted Trump to run again. But that number has fallen off since the hearings began, she said.

“We’ve had now three focus groups where zero people have wanted him to run again, and a couple other groups where it’s been like two people,” Longwell said. “Totally different.”

The Trump supporters in her focus groups are still dismissive of the hearings, Longwell said, “and I don’t think people are sitting down and being persuaded” by them.

However, she said, the hearings have “turned the volume up on the Trump baggage.”

“The other thing,” she said, “is I cannot tell you how much these Republican voters want to move on from the conversation of January 6th.”

Old 07-20-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Or it reveals that most people are working during the day when the hearings have been held.
That won't be the case this Thursday

Old 07-20-2022, 11:32 AM

This is very important and justifies holding the Jan 6 Hearings alone.

Senators announce bipartisan bills to stop candidates from stealing elections

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/20/sena...elections.html

I don't ever want to see something like that again in my lifetime. I never dreamed something like 1/6 was possible in this country.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:46 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,709,812 times
Quote:
First you people complain that a rioter gets shot leading a mob through a broken window, then you claim security was non-existing!

Are you not aware? The District of Columbia is not like a state, it's governor can not unilaterally call out the National Guard.

(This was not a case of Executive Branch vs Legislative Branch. All Federal Property would be treated the same. There was some testimony to the possibility of the mob being directed to the Supreme Court after it attacked the Capitol Building. Protecting everything in the district is the job, without regard to 'branch'.)

As a matter of fact, two days before the expected MAGA crowd, the DC National Guard was disarmed by the acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller (recent replacement for Mark Esper, appointed by Trump but not confirmed by the Senate).

Employment Guidance for the District of Columbia National Guard

“All military commanders normally have immediate response authority to protect property, life, and in my case, federal functions — federal property and life. But in this instance I did not have that authority.”
Maj. Gen. William J. Walker, the commanding general of the D.C. National Guard

Interestingly, according to testimony under oath by Christopher Miller (acting SOD) before the House investigating panel, he was told by Trump personally on January 3 to “do whatever was necessary to protect the demonstrators”. So on January fourth, he DISARMED THE NATIONAL GUARD. How could he protect the demonstrators with a disarmed National Guard?

In other words, Miller interpreted his instructions to protect the demonstrators as an order to remove protection from the District Of Columbia. This is the stuff movies are made of ...
(Replying mainly to the memo that you linked in this post, and in context to my thoughts about optics and so on of having Nat'l Guard members already stationed providing security)...

Wow, I was not aware of that. I mean, I have been watching the hearings and perhaps it was covered but there's been a lot of material and I admit I have not retained every single point and word, so this one was not readily there in my mind. That is very interesting.

Still curious about the deployment of Police personnel, but again, I suspect it would not even be appropriate necessarily to share details of such things until some time has gone by and deeper analysis of all this is happening by historians for purposes of documentation. There will be interested parties discussing the minutia of the event for many years to come, long after the general public has totally lost interest.

Quote:

I don't ever want to see something like that again in my lifetime. I never dreamed something like 1/6 was possible in this country.
Well yeah, this was always the actual purpose of the hearings. In order to even form up a Committee and do an Investigation, Congress has to establish a legislative purpose. I've been wondering what laws they'd try and come up with.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:47 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,313,851 times
Quote:

I never dreamed a rigged election like 2020 was possible. You know - mail in votes without ID, and all the rest of it.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:06 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,709,812 times
Just spotted another possible puzzle piece. Why was security by Capitol Police so thin?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...outside-526695

Two pipe bombs were discovered at the RNC and DNC headquarters.

Quote:
The discovery of the pipe bombs was a crucial driver of the chaos on Jan. 6. Law enforcement leaders say it diverted a large number of already-outnumbered officers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies